Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri
Biographies of Scott County, 1888


A B C D E F G H K L M P R S T W Y




O.E. Kendall

O.E. Kendall, M.D., of Sikeston, Mo., is a son of Wilson Kendall, a native of North Carolina, of French Descent. The latter's father, William Kendall also resided in North carolina at the time of his death. When about sixteen years of age, Wilson Kendall immigrated to Tennessee, where he afterward married Eliza Copeland, a native of that State, of English descent. Mr. Kendall remained in Tennessee, engaged in farming, until 1882, when he removed to Sikeston, Scott Co., Mo., where he now resides, retired from business. His wife died in 1886. To them were born three children: Dr. O.E., Florence (Mrs. Rufus B. Oline) and Commodore D. (deceased). Dr. O.E. Kendall was born in West Tennessee on January 3, 1846, and was reared to farm life. In 1861 he enlisted in Company G, Ninth Tennessee Cavalry. He participated in the battles of Harrisburg, Miss., Brice's Cross Roads, and a number of hard skirmishes. In April 1865, he was mustered out of service, and returned to Tennessee, where he engaged in the drug business, also in reading medicine. In the fall of 1866 and 1887 he attended medical school at Nashville Medical College, soon after which he immigrated to Southeast Missouri, and engaged in the practice of his profession at Ogden, where he remained until July 6, 1872 when he came to Sikeston, since which he has built up a large and lucrative practice. He graduated from the Vanderbuilt Medical School at Nashville, in 1883. Mr. Kendall has been twice married. On August 13, 1867, he was united with Lucada Moore, by whom he had three children: Luther (now in college at St. Louis) Lula (deceased) and Willie (deceased). The mother of these children died in 1876, and he was married in 1877 to Susie Chaney. This union has been blessed with four children: Porter, Leah, O.E., Jr. and Mary (deceased). Dr. Kendall is a member of the firm of Stallcup & Co., dealers in grain, farming implements, etc. The Doctor and Mrs. Kendall are consistent members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity.



John Kirkpatrick

John Kirkpatrick, postmaster, at Diehlstadt, was born in Jackson County, Tenn., on September 21, 1829, and is a son of Francis and Elizabeth (Proctor) Kirkpatrick, also natives of Jackson County, Tenn. The great-great-grandparents came from Ireland. The paternal grandfather, Samuel Kirkpatrick, was born in South Carolina, from which State he immigrated to Tennessee. He died in Wayne County, Mo., while on a visit to his son, James, having come to Scott County several years after his son came. His wife died in Scott County. Francis Kirkpatrick came to Missouri in 1837, bringing his family, household goods, and stock down the river to Cairo on a flat-boat. He first settled in Wayne County, but after a short time removed to Scott County, where he entered 200 acres of heavily timbered land. After several years of hard labor and privations he had a good part of his land under cultivation. He died on his farm in 1874. His first wife died in Wayne County, having borne seven children, four of whom Jane Delphi, John and Samuel, are living. He had two children by his second marriage, one of whom, James A., is living. Coming to Missouri with his parents when he was about eight years old, John Kirkpatrick remained with them until he was married, and located where he now lives. Besides his farm of 300 acres, all under cultivation, he owns considerable property in Diehlstadt. In 1854 he was united in marriage with Nancy J. Absher, by whom he had seven children, five of whom are dead. Those living are John W. and Charles E. Mr. and Mrs. Kirkpatrick are members of the Missionary Baptist Church. Mr. Kirkpatrick is one of Scott County's old and most prominent citizens. He has served as postmaster at Diehlstadt since 1873.



Frederick A.J. Klein

Rev. Frederick A.J. Klein, of St. Augustine Church, Kelso, Mo., was born in Germany, in 1853. His parents came to America in 1858, and located near Alton, Madison Co., Ill., where the father died. The mother still survives, and is residing with a daughter in St. Louis. Rev. Frederick Klein commenced his education under the direction of Father Francis Ostrop, of Alton, and finished his classical course at the Sacred Heart College in Ruma, Randolph County, Ill., graduating from the institution in 1873. He finished his philosophical and theological education in St. Francis Seminary, four miles from Milwaukee, Wis., and was ordained in 1879, by Bishop Heiss, now Archbishop, successor of Archbishop Hennie (deceased). He joined the Archdiocese of St. Louis, and was sent by Archbishop P.R. Kenrick to Charleston, Mo., his first charge, and remained with that and surrounding missions until 1882, when he was sent by the Archbishop to Kelso, his present charge. He has a church membership of about ninety-five families and a school containing over seventy-five pupils. Preparations are being made for a new brick church. The congregation is in a prosperous condition. It was organized in 1878, by Rev. S. Kleiser, being set off from the New Hamburg Congregation.