Search billions of records on Ancestry.com

Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri
Biographies of Scott County, 1888


A B C D E F G H K L M P R S T W Y




Eugene C. Randolph

Eugene C. Randolph, real estate and insurance agent of Oran, was born in Henderson County, Ky., in 1856. His parents, Malachi F. and Mary (Slaton) Randolph, were both born and reared in Henderson County, Ky., the former born in 1828, and the latter, in 1838. The paternal grandfather was a native of Delaware, and was a direct descendant from Pocahontas. Malachi F. Randolph and wife are still living in their native county, engaged in farming. They are highly respected people, and owned one of the finest farms in that section of the country. To them were born six children: William N. (a resident of Charleston, MO.) Euguene C., Clifton, Lucy, Henry (deceased), and John (deceased). Clifton and Lucy are both in Henderson County, Ky. In February of 1880, Eugene C. came to Southeast Missouri and locating at Charleston, remained until the spring of 1882, when he came to Oran. In the same year of his removal to Oran, he was united in marriage with Althea M. Swank, a native of Mississippi County, Mo., born in 1861. She is a daughter of Abram and Susan (Moore) Swank, natives of Indiana and Kentucky, respectively. Abram Swank is the son of William Swank, now living in Texas in his eighty-sixth year. The former died in 1872, aged forty-one years. His wife is living at Price's Landing, Scott Co., Mo. She is the mother of nine children: Julia, Ella, Althea, Edgar, Joseph, Benjamin, Lillie, Charles and Vernon. Mr. and Mrs. Randolph's union has been blessed by the birth of four children, two of whom, Susie May and Clyde are living. Those dead are Claude and Sally. Clyde and Claude were twins. Mr. Randolph and wife are active members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and of the A.O.U.W. He served as city marshal and deputy sheriff of Oran for three years, and was the first mayor of the city.



Gotleib Charles Rose

Gotleib Charles Rose, a prominent farmer of Scott County, Mo., was born in Germany, on May 13, 1832. He is a son of Henry and Louisa Rose. Henry Rose was a large farmer, and died in the fall of 1886, aged ninety-seven years. His wife died previously, in 1854. They reared a family of five boys and five girls. Those living are Henry, Gotleib C., Frederica, Wilhelmina, Augusta, Mary and Caroline. The parents were both devoted members of the Lutheran Church. The father was a prominent member of the A.F. & A.M. and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. In 1858 Gotleib C. left his native land and relatives and came to America; but previously he had received a good education in the common and high schools of Germany, and spent two years in an agricultural school, from which he graduated in 1853. He was then hired as second inspector on a large farm, and after the first year, was given charge of the farm, which he managed very successfully. Upon his arrival in New York, he went to Chicago, and in the fall of 1859, from thence to St. Louis. Later he went to New Orleans, but returned to St. Louis at the beginning of the Civil War, and enlisted in the Second Missouri Infantry for three months. After being mustered out, he organized a battalion, and joined the first Western Cavalry, afterward the Second Missouri Cavalry, under Freeman. Mr. Rose was promoted to second lieutenant and served until the close of the war, being discharged in the fall of 1856. After the war he was engaged in farming in Southern Illinois for three years, when he sold his land and came to Scott County, Mo., in 1869. For one year he lived near Benton, and removed to his present location in 1871, purchasing at first 120 acres, which he cleared and improved, and now has a farm of 325 acres, with 240 under cultivation. In 1865 he married Anna Furgurson, a native of Missouri. They have no children, but have reared three, Edward Garvey (who is married and lives near the home place), James Williams and Jennie Williams. Mr. and Mrs. Rose are members of the Missionary Baptist Church, of which he is deacon. He is a member of the A.F. & A.M. of the A.O.U.W. and the Pilgrim Knights.