Scott County is located in southeastern Missouri, on the eastern edge of the State. Scott County is bordered by the following Missouri counties:
Scott County was formed on December 28, 1821 from New Madrid County, and named for Missouri Congressman John Scott. New Madrid County was formed in 1812 as an Original District. For more Missouri County Founding information, see the Missouri County Founding Dates page in MoGenWeb.
- To the north, Cape Girardeau County
- To the west, Stoddard County
- To the south, New Madrid County
- To the southeast, Mississippi County
- To the northeast, the State of Illinois (Alexander County)
The county seat of Scott County is Benton.
Missouri historical maps, showing the Territory of Missouri in 1812, 1813, and 1816, and prior to that as part of the District of Louisiana in 1804, are available through a link from the MoGenWeb page.