St. Clair County Missouri
Biographies

C
 

CALLENDER, Milton
Milton Callender, born Nashville, July 13, 1863, married at Osceola, Missouri May 14, 1895 to Frances Russell. Children: Louis Whaley, born April 12, 1891 at Osceola, Missouri, and Edward Milton, born Dec. 2, 1898, and died in service Oct. 2, 1918. -- Notable Southern Families, Volume I & II

CALMES, Paul E.
Paul E. Calmes, M.D., was born in Clark County, Kentucky, May 7, 1841. His father, John W. Calmes, a native of Woodford County, Kentucky, married Miss Ann Evans, originally of Clark County. They reared five children, Paul E. being the oldest. When he was sixteen years old the family moved to Lexington, Missouri, and in the fall of 1859 he began the study of medicine with Dr. Alexander of that city. This he continued until the spring of 1861, when he enlisted in Captain Wilson's company of Missouri State Guard. He served until the disbandment of the company, and then he returned to Lexington and resumed his studies under Dr. William Ruffin until the fall of 1864, when he went south as a soldier under General Price. In the winters of 1866-7 and 1867-8 he attended lectures at Louisville, and was graduated in the latter year. After practicing in Jackson, Lafayette and Bates Counties until December, 1869, he came to Appleton City, where he has since been a prominent and successful practitioner. Dr. Calmes was married October 24, 1872, to Miss Fannie Churchill, of Kentucky. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity. The doctor attended the Louisville Medical College during terms of 1877-78, and received a diploma from this institution in the spring of 1878. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CAMPBELL, Thomas
Thomas Campbell, farmer and stock raiser, section 19, was born in Blount County, Tennessee, April 18, 1811. William Campbell, his father, was a Virginian by birth, while his mother, formerly Margaret Biddell, was born in Tennessee. William Campbell early removed to Tennessee with his parents and was one of the first settlers of Blount County. Thomas passed his youth on a farm, receiving his education at the subscription schools. He was married in Humphreys County May 10, 1832, to Miss Frances Prince, of that county, and who was born July 17, 1813. She is a daughter of William Prince, Esq., a pioneer settler of Humphreys County. They have nine children. Eliza, (wife of Harvey Douglas), Isabelle, (wife of Bevley Hall), Minerva, (wife of James Moore), Caroline, (wife of John Horner), Margaret, (wife of J. M. DeHart), Cornelia, (wife of Joseph Hodgins), Albert and Mary, (wife of William Yonce). Mr. Campbell removed to Illinois in 1837 and located in Pike County. In the spring of 1855 he settled in Adair County, Missouri, where he resided eight years, going thence, in 1863, to Davis County, Iowa, where he lived six years. In 1869 he returned to Missouri and located where he now resides. He has 120 acres of land, with eighty acres in cultivation and improved. He is a Mason. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CARR, James R.
James R. Carr, a prominent young farmer of this township, was born in Monroe County, Illinois, in 1857. His parents, Jonathan and Maria (Parker) Carr, were both natives of Illinois, the former having been born in 1833. They were married in 1854. James R. remained at home until 1874, when he came to Missouri and commenced work as a farm hand. In 1877 he was married to Miss Harriet Renfro, daughter of Markis Renfro, of Dallas Township. They have two bright children, Bertie and William K. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CARROLL, Jacob W.
Jacob W. Carroll, the owner of a farm consisting of 200 acres, located in section 19, is a native of Tennessee, and was born in Roane County, March 6, 1844. When he was about ten years of age he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he has since resided. In 1862 he enlisted in Company I, Seventh Missouri Infantry, of the Confederate service, and remained in active service until the close of the war. January 16, 1873, Mr. Carroll married Miss Lizzie Ellis, a Kentuckian by birth. They have one child, Myrtie J. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CARROLL, John W.
John W. Carroll, section 30, originally from Roane County, Tennessee, was born December 9, 1845, being a son of Alfred and Barshaba (Miller) Carroll, natives of South Carolina. In 1859 the family removed to Missouri and settled in St. Clair County. John W., the fourth son of a family of nine children, grew to maturity in this county upon a farm. He was married December 9, 1872, to Mrs. Tamar Richey, a widow of James Richey and a daughter of Thomas Coulthard. She emigrated to the United States with her parents in 1829 and settled in Virginia, where she was married the following year to Mr. Richey, who came to Missouri in 1838 or 1840. Mrs. Carroll has one daughter by her former marriage, Mrs. Hannah Slaws, widow of John F. Slaws. Mr. C. owns 1,200 acres of land, with 916 acres in his home farm under cultivation. He feeds quite a number of cattle and hogs annually. He belongs to both the A.F.&A.M. and I.O.O.F. fraternities and is a member of the Presbyterian Church, while his wife is connected with the M. E. Church, South. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CARROLL, Z. T.
Z. T. Carroll, farmer, section 36, was born in Roane County, Tennessee, March 16, 1849. He came to St. Clair County, Missouri, with his parents when but a child, and has since continued to make his home here. He now owns a farm of 100 acres. Mr. Carroll married August 25, 1870, Miss Mary J., a daughter of J. M. Hoover, and a native of Missouri. They have four children: Samantha Lee, Willard Gillmore, Georgia Ann and Dora Miller. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CARVER, John T.
John T. Carver was born in Carter County, Kentucky, on November 4, 1830, his parents being Morgan and Harriet Carver, nee Pierce. The former was born in Albermarle County, Virginia, in 1755, and was a farmer by occupation. Shortly after his marriage he emigrated to Kentucky in 1828, and in 1863 died in Carter County at the advanced age of 108 years. John T. was the fourth child of a family of fourteen. In 1860 he was united in marriage with Miss Ameseta Peters, of Virginia birth. Just previous to the late civil war he came to this county, and during that conflict, on account of his party principles, which were Democratic, he was twice threatened with lynch law. Mr. and Mrs. Carver have had sixteen children: Alice Gertrude, Fannie Belle, George, Ella, John Morgan, Emma Dora, William Worth, James T., Emma Sarah, Charles Edward, Laura Elizabeth, Harry, Sylva, Thomas F., Joseph D. and Ameseta. Two of these died while young. Mr. C. is a member of the United Brethren Church, of Mt. Carmel. He owns 168 acres of land on King's Prairie, and is extensively engaged in the raising of stock. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CAUTHON, Mitchel Y.
Mitchell Y. Cauthon was born on the 21st of December 1851, in St. Clair County, Missouri. James Cauthon, his father, a carpenter by trade and a native of Missouri, was born in 1824, and in 1849 married Miss Eliza Burse, of this county and a daughter of Zach. Burse, Esq. To them were born thirteen children, of whom Mitchell Y. was the second child. He resided on the home place until his marriage, in 1867, to Miss Penelope Dodson, and they have had four children: James E., William R., George M. and Izona. Politically, Mr. C. is a staunch Republican and always has been such. He owns eighty acres of land, and besides farming is interested in stock raising to some extent. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CHAPEL, William W.
William W. Chapel, attorney at law and notary public, is a native of Chenango County, New York, and was born September 1, 1839. He was reared in the county of his birth, and was educated at the academy of Cincinnatus, New York. In 1859 he attended a term of the law school of Albany, New York, and in September, 1861, he enlisted in the late war in Company C, 157th New York Volunteer Regiment, remaining in the service till mustered out at Charleston, North Carolina, July 10, 1865. Returning home he was engaged in farming till November, 1867, when he moved to Hamilton, Caldwell County, Missouri, and embarked in the real estate business and the practice of law, being admitted to the bar of that county in February, 1868. In March, 1882, he came to Appleton City and has since been successfully occupied in the practice of law. Mr. Chapel was married December 13, 1865, to Miss Alice G. Pritchard, a native of New York. They had four children: Minnie, Mary, William and Frank. He was again married March 4, 1875, to Miss Alice Penny, of Missouri. Mr. C. is a member of the I.O.O.F. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CHOICE, Franklin
Franklin Choice, farmer and stock raiser, is a Virginian by birth, and was born in 1820. His father, John Choice, who was also born in Virginia. was married to Miss Jane Haygood in 1813, and they had five children, of whom Franklin was the youngest. He resided with his parents until 1842, and in that year was married to Miss Martha E. Copeland, of Cumberland County, Virginia. To them were born eight children: William F., Mary, Laura V., Augusta M., Charles, Mattie J., Louisa and Anna. In 1859 Mr. Choice, leaving his native state, emigrated to Missouri and settled in St. Clair County, on the place which he now occupies. He has eighty acres in his farm, it being very productive land, and upon it is a good residence. He is most thorough in his transactions, and this is the cause of his success. In politics he is a Republican. He was a member of the militia under Captain Cook during the late war. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

CHRISMAN, George W.
Deer Creek Township - George W. Chrisman, physician and surgeon, Adrian, is a native of Fairfield County, Ohio, where he was born July 27, 1838. His parents were Benjamin and Sarah (Carr) Chrisman. When George was fourteen years old they moved to Indiana, where he attended the common schools until eighteen years old. Then he began the study of medicine with Dr. John Jeleff, with whom he studied for three years. In September, 1859, he entered the McDowell Medical College, at St. Louis, and attended that college two terms, and graduated in March, 1865. He subsequently located in St. Clair County, Missouri, in the town of Roscoe, where he remained six years. Thence to Burdette, Bates County, where he practiced until 1882, when he settled in Adrian. The Dr. has two good farms in the county and a fine residence in the town of Adrian. He enlisted in September, 1861, in Company A, Forty-second Indiana, and was discharged July 27, 1865. He was assistant surgeon of his regiment, and was promoted to the rank of lieutenant. He was taken prisoner at Vicksburg, but in seven days was paroled. He is a member of Everett lodge No. 226, A.F. and A.M., and also belongs to the I.O.O.F. order. Dr. Chrisman was married December 4, 1865, to Miss Etta Henry, a native of Ohio. They have five children: William, Hattie, Clifton, Jesse, and Maud. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)
 



CLARK, Joseph
Joseph Clark section 24, was born November 30, 1848, in Macoupin County, Illinois, his parents being Randall and Lucy (Gray) Clark. The former was a native of South Carolina and the latter was a Virginian by birth. They moved to Macoupin County, Illinois, in an early day and there reared thirteen children, of whom Joseph was the sixth. He grew up on a farm at his birth place, and there remained until October, 1871, when he settled in St. Clair County, Missouri. Here he now owns a farm of 240 acres of land. Mr. Clark was married August 9, 1871, to Miss Jane Walker, a native of Illinois. To them have been born seven children: Edgar F., Theodore E., Bertha, Branton L., Ethel O., Valentine and Katie. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

CLARK, Seth G.
Rev. Seth G. Clark, born August 13, 1817; died April 22, 1898. Rev. Clark may very properly be spoken of in addition to the many grand results attending his labors in the ministry, as the father of the Presbyterian church at this place (Appleton City). On Sunday, Dec. 29, 1867, he organized the Presbyterian church of Hudson, which in July, 1871, was moved to this city. -- Appleton City Journal, 28 March 1901



CLARK, William D.
William D. Clark was born February, 18, 1844, in DuPage County, Illinois. His father, David K. Clark came from New York when a boy, and his father built the first frame house erected in Chicago. His mother's maiden name was Mary Jarvis, born in Rochester, New York. William was third in a family of five children. At the age of fourteen he went to Wausekea, Minnesota, where he remained three years. Returning, he enlisted in February, 1862, in Company F, Fifty-third Illinois Volunteers, and in the battle of Jackson, Mississippi, October 5, 1863 he was wounded in the lower limb and for some time was in hospital at Vicksburg, and afterwards in Chicago. As soon as able he was assigned duty at Camp Douglass, where he remained till 1865, when he was discharged. In 1867, Mr. Clark came to Missouri, and engaged in farming in St. Clair County. In 1874 he embarked in the grocery business at Appleton City, which he has since continued, now enjoying about the finest trade in the city. He was married November 8, 1870, to Miss Matilda Walker, a native of Madison County, Indiana. They have two children living: Ora M., and Ethel E. Mr. Clark has been entrusted with some official position nearly all the time since living in the town. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. fraternity and is connected with the Presbyterian Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CLEAR, P. H.
P. H. Clear is the son of Philip Clear, who was a native of Pennsylvania, his father, Jacob Clear, also having been born in that state. Parmelia Clapp was the maiden name of the mother of P. H. The subject of this sketch was born in Randolph County, Indiana, July 25, 1841. He grew to manhood in his native county and there received the advantages of the public schools. August 9, 1862, he enlisted in the sixty-ninth Indiana Volunteers and at the battle of Port Gibson he received a wound which caused the amputation of one of his lower limbs. He was discharged July 5, 1865. Returning to Indiana he followed farming in the summer and teaching during the winter months. In 1869 he moved to Ohio, but in 1872 retraced his steps to Indiana where he taught school until 1876. At that time he came to St. Clair County and was occupied in teaching until 1882 when he became manager of the Lowry City Association. They carry a general stock of goods and are doing a good business. Mr. C. owns one of the best improved farms in this township. He is a member of the Christian Church and also belongs to the I. O. O. F. fraternity. January 19, 1867, Mr. Clear married Miss Sarah A. Fisher, a native of Indiana. They have seven children: Arthur B., George W., Luther E., Oscar, Henry D., Grace and Blanch. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CLEVELAND, Alonzo A.
Alonzo A. Cleveland, farmer, stock raiser and dealer, section 13, was born in Randolph County, Indiana, December 1, 1853, and was the son of Morgan H. Cleveland, of New York, who married Miss Lucinda Brandon, of Ohio, a daughter of John Brandon, originally from Ireland. They had nine children. Morgan Cleveland was a merchant for thirty-five years in one town in Indiana. He went to California in 1849, and remained long enough to acquire quite a fortune, and on his return he bought 1,600 acres of land. He came to St. Clair County, Missouri, in 1865, and died in 1870. Alonzo A. received a good education in youth, and had advantages of a thorough business training in his father's store. At the age of eighteen, he commenced teaching school, and followed it at intervals for several years. In 1878 he started a store in Chalk Level, and after conducting it four years, sold out and bought his present farm of 140 acres. Politically he is a very active Greenbacker, having done much in organizing the party. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

CLINE, Dr. Caryll E.
(1881-1974) Dr. Caryll E.Cline graduated from the Appleton City Academy in 1899, then spent two years at dental college in Cleveland Ohio, and one year at Northwestern University. He returned home to begin the practice of dentistry in 1902. Caryll Cline and Mattie King (daughter of E. M. and Jennie Burton King) were married in 1904 and they became the parents of four children: Caryll E. Cline, Jr., Dr. Edward Cline, Frances Becraft and Jane Schlichtman. Dr. Cline’s wife, Mattie, died in 1951 and he married Mrs. Dessa Hood in 1956. This marriage was terminated by her death in 1958. Dr. Cline retired from dentistry after more than 55 years of practice and moved to Phoenix, Arizona. He died in 1974 and he and Mattie are buried in Appleton City Cemetery. He had been a dedicated member of the Methodist church, had been a Mason for more than 50 years and served as Scout Master for many years. -- Appleton City Centennial Book 1870-1970

CLINE, Dr. Wilburn
Dr. Wilburn Cline was a much loved early day physician in Appleton City. He was born December 25, 1847 in Cloverdale, Indiana. He attended school in Cincinnati, Ohio and began practicing medicine at Fort Scott, Kansas. From there he moved to Nevada and then located permanently at Appleton City in 1884. His wife was Margaret Branahan and their children were Bert, Caryll, Della and Bina.  -- Appleton City Centennial Book 1870-1970



COCK, B. W.
B. W. Cock, farmer and stock raiser, section 23, is a son of Robert P. Cock, who was born in Virginia September 26, 1814. His father was Benjamin Cock. November 16, 1833, Robert was married to Miss Mary Pulliam, a Virginian. B. W. was born in Hanover County, Virginia, January 16, 1837. When only two years old his parents moved to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he grew up on his father's farm, receiving a common school education. He has followed farming through life, and now owns a landed estate of 520 acres. June 1, 1861, he enlisted in the Confederate army and was captain of Company B, Sixteenth Missouri Infantry, afterwards being promoted to major. He was in many important battles. May 1, 1861, Mr. Cock married Miss Mary Barnett, of St. Clair County, Missouri. They have a family of five children: Mattie, Ida, Stella, Della and Blanche. They have lost three: Lemuel, Robert and Hugh. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COCK, Thomas A.
Thomas A. Cock, section 6, was born October 5, 1846, in Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri. His father has been twice married, first to Miss Mary Bradley, who subsequently died, leaving thirteen children, nine of whom are living: Elizabeth, George C., William H., Martha, Mary, John F., Susan, Francis R. and. Thomas A. In February, 1860, Miss Sarah Effinger, of Hickory County, became his second wife. In 1864 they removed to Osceola Township, St. Clair County, Mr. C. here purchasing 500 acres of land, on which he remained for about fifteen years. Selling it, he located in Clinton, where he has since resided. His second wife is deceased and he now makes his home with his son, William H. Thomas A. Cock was married October 25, 1876, to Miss Melissa Rice, and they are the parents of three children: Lena, born September 23, 1877; Paul, born November 3, 1880, and William Archie, born May 27, 1882. In 1877 Mr. C. settled upon his present farm, where he has since devoted his attention to agricultural pursuits and the raising of stock. His religious preferences are with the Methodist denomination, to which church his wife belongs. In politics he is a Democrat. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COCKE, Robert Pleasants
Robert Pleasants Cocke, one of the eleven children of Benjamin Cocke II, who died in  1821, and Elizabeth Nuckles, was born September 26, 1814 in Virginia. He died November 20, 1890 in St. Clair County. Robert P. Cocke was married to Mary Jane Nelson Dudley Pulliam and they lived in Virginia until after their two sons were born. They
came West and in 1839 settled in Rives County, Missouri on a farm East of the present town in what is now section 23 of Osceola Twp. Robert P. Cocke’s was one of the names signed to the petition of 1840 which brought about the establshment of St. Clair County out of Rives County the following year. In 1858, he was Sheriff and Collector for the County.  His wife died December 31, 1860 and was probably buried on the farm. May 18, 1861, Robert P. Cocke was one of the signers of the appeal to the citizens to remain calm and to refrain from violence in the troubled time. The appeal was in vain, however, and in the winter of 1861-62, he accompanied his son Benjamin N. Cocke and
his young wife to Texas and lived in Sherman or Whitesboro until after the peace was declared. His home had been burned by radicals during the war and his farm had been sold for $200 at Sheriff’s sale in 1864, he made his home with the Benjamin Cockes on a farm about a mile West of Lowry City. It was here that he died and was buried in Lowry City Cemetery. -- St. Clair Democrat, February 15, 1940

COCKRELL, H. P.
H. P. Cockrell, farmer, section 12, is the son of Peter B. Cockrell, a native of Bourbon County, Kentucky, who was married in Cooper County, Missouri, to Miss Elizabeth Sproul, originally of Virginia. H. P. was born in Cooper County, Missouri, May 23, 1839. About the year 1847 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he now has a farm of eighty acres. In 1863 he enlisted in the Missouri State Militia Cavalry, served two years, one month and two days and was mustered out as sergeant. In December, 1869, Mr. C. was married to Miss Harriet J. Sproul, a native of St. Clair County, Missouri. They have had four children, three of whom are now living: Margaret G., Nellie S. and Mollie A. E. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COFFIN, James G.
James G. Coffin, a well known and prominent citizen of Monegaw Township, was born in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania, April 23, 1848. J. G. Coffin, his father, a native of Massachusetts, was born in 1816, and married Miss Isabella C. Anderson, a Virginian by birth. James G., the eldest son of a family of seven children, grew to maturity in his native county, his primary education having been given him by a private tutor. After a preparatory course he attended and graduated at the Western University in 1867. Upon completing his studies he was engaged in clerking in the banking house of William H. Williams & Co., in Pittsburg, one year. He then was employed in the office of his father, who was the general western agent of tile Franklin Fire Insurance Company. Coming west in 1869, he purchased land in St. Clair County and engaged in handling stock. In November, 1871, he returned to Pennsylvania and worked in the office with his father three years. In 1875 he again came to St. Clair County and commenced farming and the stock business. In 1878 he was interested in the mercantile business at Appleton City. Mr. Coffin was married in this county November 4, 1879, to Miss M. Virginia Wilson, daughter, of J. W. Wilson. Mr. C. has 200 acres of land with forty acres in cultivation. He was appointed a justice of the peace of his township in 1881. He is identified with the Republican party and is well posted on the political issues of the day. He was nominated by his party and elected justice at the election of 1882. Mr. Coffin has been a delegate to numerous county and state conventions. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COLLINS, William
Judge William Collins, a well known citizen of this county was born in Pulaski County, Kentucky, May 17, 1819, and is the second son of William and Sarah Collins, nee Porterfield, both natives of Washington County, Virginia. The former was born in 1784, and the latter in 1790, they having been married in 1810. Young William remained at home until eleven years of age, when he went to Adair County, Kentucky, to live with an uncle. Here he received his education, and spent the rest of his time in working upon farms there, until 1854, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, settling in what is now known as Collins Township (then Washington). In the year 1847, he was married in Russell County, Kentucky, to Miss Anna L. Miller, a daughter of the late Nathaniel Miller. To them were born eight children: Nathaniel J. Charles P., Martha M., William S., Milly A., John S., Sallie J., and Mary E. Politically, Mr. Collins is a Republican, and in 1866, was nominated by that party for judge of the county court. After an exciting campaign, in which the Democrats exerted themselves nobly, he was elected and served faithfully and well, winning the approbation of all. During his administration, the act known as "The New Township Act," was passed, and in accordance with its provisions, Washington Township was divided, one part retaining the name of Washington. It becoming necessary to name the territory thus taken off, the name of him who had served so well and had discharged his official duties with such good judgment, was proposed and so thereafter called. Judge Collins has now retired from political life, and is devoting his attention to the cultivation of his farm at the same time filling the position of postmaster of Collins. He owns 160 acres of land.  -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CONAUT, Lewis
Lewis Conaut, dealer in general merchandise, was born in Androscoggin County, Maine, in May, 1830, being the son of Benjamin Conaut, of Bridgewater, Massachusetts, who was a soldier in the war of 1812. His father, Lott Conaut, was also born in Massachusetts and participated in the revolutionary war. Benjamin's wife, formerly E. Staples, was born in Maine. Lewis was the eighth child of a family of ten children. In 1853 he emigrated to VanWert County, Ohio, and after several business ventures engaged in the grocery and provision trade and as agent for the American Encyclopedia, in which he was satisfactorily successful. He enlisted during the war and served four months. In 1866 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, and in 1870 engaged in his present business with W. A. Dale as partner, and after two years he bought Mr. Dale's interest. He is the oldest merchant in the city. John Butcher was with him for eleven months and James H. Linney was his partner fifteen months. In 1882 he put in operation an apple evaporator, and in the fruit season did a successful business. He was married January 1, 1862, to Miss Angelina S. Williamson, daughter of John W. Williamson, a native of New Jersey. They have three children: Lewis H., Arthur B. and Albert E. Mr. C. is a Republican in politics and his religious belief is with the Universalists. He is a Mason and a member of the A. O. U. W. fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CONN, Josiah J.
Josiah J. Conn, farmer, section 21, is the son of Josiah Conn, originally from Tennessee, who in 1837 left that state, emigrating to Cooper County, Missouri. After living there some time he removed first to Camden County and thence to Dallas, where he died in 1863. The subject of this sketch was married in 1850 to Miss Evaline Stockton, daughter of Josiah Stockton. She died, leaving one child, Elizabeth. In 1854 Mr. C. was again married; this time to Miss Amanda Hendricks, of Dallas County and a daughter of Mark Hendricks. They have been blessed with a family of ten children: John A., Felix S., James L., William H., Columbus T., Mary I., Virginia T., Dorothy C, George F. and Minnie E. Two of these are deceased. During the late war Mr. Conn served in Company G, Chitwood's command of the Missouri State Volunteers, in the capacity of corporal. He is a Master Mason and belongs to Modern Lodge, No. 144, of Humansville, Polk County. His farm embraces 200 acres of land. He was formerly occupied in the stock business, but on account of failing health was obliged to give it up. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COOK, Benjamin F.
Captain Benjamin F. Cook was born in Franklin County, Virginia, August 31, 1816. His father, John Cook, who was born in Franklin County, Virginia, was the son of Captain James Cook, of the same state, who was killed at Sansbury, South Carolina, in the Revolutionary war. The family are of English descent and are from the same locality as was Captain Cook the navigator. The mother of Benjamin was formerly Aura Belcher, of Virginia, and of French ancestry. Their family consisted of nine children of whom Benjamin was the sixth. He was reared there and learned the trade of tobacconist, working at that employment forty-four years. In 1858 he came to Missouri and settled in St. Clair County on a farm. In 1862 he organized a company of Union troops for the Sixtieth Regiment Enrolled Missouri Militia and was elected captain. Afterwards Company H, of the Provisional Regiment was raised and he was put in command. In the spring of 1864 he organized a company of volunteer mounted militia whose duty it was to keep track of marauding parties, in which capacity he acted until the close of the war. In 1863 he was elected a member of the state legislature, performing the duties of that position with much ability. Mr. Cook married Miss Julia A. F. Mitchell in September, 1842. She died in 1849, leaving three children: William B., Mary E. and Lafayette. In 1850 he married Susan A. F. Meridith, daughter of James Meridith, of Virginia. They have seven children: Sarah V., Eliza D., Susan E., James H., John Rives, Mirand A. and William R. Politically Mr. C. is a Republican. He is an active member of the Grange. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COONCE, David W.
David W. Coonce, only son of Jacob Coonce, was born in Washington Township, this county, January 2, 1850. He received a limited education at home, but in 1867, went to the Notre Dame College, Indiana, and took a commercial course of two years. He married Miss Mary Clevenger, of St. Clair County, in 1880. They have two children: James Elmer and an infant. Jacob Coonce, the first man to settle in the county, was born in St. Charles County, Missouri Territory, February 6, 1806. His father, Jacob Coonce was born in Pennsylvania, and was a miller by trade, and also a farmer. Young Jacob left home when fourteen years of age and made his way alone from that time. The first money he ever earned was a silver dollar, which he kept as long as he lived, and now it is the property of Elder W. W. Warren, his son-in-law. He was in the Black Hawk war with General Dodge in 1833, and in the Mexican War under Colonel Doniphan. He married Mrs. Lovina Wamsley in 1839, a daughter of Jedediah Waldo, of Harrison County, Virginia. They had three children: Mary E., now Mrs. W. W. Warren, Elizabeth O., who married Thomas Dudley, and died in 1871, and David W. Mr. Coonce came to this county in 1827, and selected a site for a home near a large spring in the township of Washington, some fourteen miles south of Osceola. In 1831, he returned to this county, and afterwards made his home near this spring during life. He died in 1878. His claim embraced 720 acres. Mrs. Coonce died in 1868. Mr. C. was a great hunter, and spent much of his time in an early day in roving o'er hills and dales. In an Indian battle he received a severe wound on the head by a tomahawk, five in his party capturing sixteen Indians. Mention of this pioneer is made elsewhere in this work. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COOPER, M. L.
M. L. Cooper, farmer, section 5, was born in Greene County, Tennessee, July 21, 1840, and was a son of John A. and Sarah (Law) Cooper, both natives of Tennessee. When M. L. was five years of age his parents moved to West Virginia, and in two years to Clinton County, Missouri, where he became grown. March 17, 1864, he was married to Miss Lucy A. Estes, a native of Missouri. He followed farming in Clinton County, Missouri, till 1867, when he moved to Ray County, and in 1870 came to St. Clair County where he now has a fine farm of 250 acres. During the war he held a commission as captain in Slack's Division, and participated in many important battles. He has been constable of his township for six years. He is now a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and also belongs to the Grange. Mr. C. is the father of eight children: Sarah E., George W., John B., Albert L., Charles B., Elmer M., Archibald and Ann C. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COPENHAVER, Thomas
Thomas Copenhaver, was born in Kentucky, August 2, 1815. His father, a Virginian by birth, emigrated to Kentucky in an early day, and after being married removed to Alabama. His wife was formerly Miss Hannah Barrier. They had a family of nine children, of whom Thomas is one of four and the only son now living. The senior Copenhaver died February 17, 1836, and his widow in 1855. Our subject was married February 2, 1835, to Miss Nancy Looney, daughter of Isaac and Anna Looney, of Jackson County, Alabama. Their family consists of fourteen children, eleven of whom still survive. Peggy was married to Jacob Harper, John was married to Miss Eliza Copenhaver, of Lincoln County, Missouri. Sally A. is the wife of Benjamin Hall; Samuel married Nancy Thompson; Hannah is now Mrs. Pleasant A. Jones, of Kansas; Benjamin married Mary A. Hudson; Isam married Louisa Thompson; Nancy J. married Thomas Wilkerson; Mary E.; Thomas married Cynthia Green, and Caruthers B. married Mary Brown. In 1842, Mr. Copenhaver came to Missouri and settled in this county and township. Though in declining years, Mr. C. has the satisfaction of knowing that his life has not been a failure, and he has acquired a comfortable competency. His son, Thomas N., is a blacksmith and farmer by occupation, and was born in this county March 29, 1856. His wife was a daughter of Granville and Martha Green, of this county, to whom he was married September 21, 1877. They have three children: Armetta, Thomas G. and Delsia M. Mr. T. N. Copenhaver now has a farm of 160 acres on section 26. He does some work at his trade, but attends principally to his farming interests. He and his father are Democrats. They belong to the Baptist Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CORBIN, J. E.
J. E. Corbin, farmer, section 7, is a native of Ohio and was born in Licking County February 9, 1836, being a son of William and Sophia (Boyer) Corbin, both Virginians by birth. J. E. was the youngest in the family, which consisted of eight children. In 1844 he moved with his parents to Noble County, Indiana, where he grew to manhood, there completing his education. In 1856 he went to LaPorte, of the same state, and in 1861 to Sangamon County, Illinois, where, from 1863 to 1867, he was employed as wood workman in the car shops of Springfield. In 1867 he moved to Missouri, locating in Bates County till 1869, when he came to St. Clair County, where he now has a farm of 240 acres, which, in regard to improvements, is surpassed by no farm in the county. December 30, 1863, Mr. Corbin was married to Miss Sarah E. McKinney, by whom he has three children: Oliver E., William and Jennie B. Mrs. C. was born in Sangamon County, Illinois, September 3, 1844. She was reared and educated in that county, where she resided till her marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Corbin are members of the Christian Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CORBIN, James Fletcher
James Fletcher Corbin, one of the earliest settlers of St. Clair County, was born December 31, 1831. His father, David Corbin, a Virginian by birth, born in 1790, was married in 1813, to Miss Annie Erwin, originally of Kentucky. Their family consisted of eleven children, of whom James was the youngest. In 1839 the senior Corbin removed with his family to St. Clair County, Missouri, they being among the pioneers here. In the fall following his arrival (1839), he erected his first dwelling of round logs, it being just fourteen feet square, and in this house of one room, fifteen persons ate and slept for seven months. The next spring an addition was placed upon it, which when completed, measured 20x18 feet. During this time the meat used by them was procured with the rifle. Mr. Corbin and his sons built the first frame house erected in Osceola. This structure was constructed of whipsawed lumber, sawed by them, and after being finished it was occupied by a Frenchman as a tailor shop. This was located near the present site of the Upper Osceola Mill. James F. Corbin resided with his father until 1853, when he was married to Miss Nancy O. Beckley of this county, and a daughter of John W. Beckley. They have eleven children: Anna L., David F., Susan M., John H., James W. Nancy B., Carolina B., Joseph P., William T., Leona M., and Mary J. Mr. C., through his own industry and good management, has accumulated a good competency, now owning a farm of 200 acres. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CORNELIUS, Alfred Griffith
Alfred Griffith Cornelius, deputy county clerk; was born in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in 1825, and is the son of James Cornelius, of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, who was married in 1820 to Elizabeth Elliott. Her father, James Elliott, came from Ireland. In 1837 the family moved to Morgan County, Ohio, where Mr. C. was engaged in business for many years. Mrs. Cornelius died in 1872, and her husband in 1880. Alfred G. received a good primary education at home, and then entered Granville College, remaining two years and qualifying himself for teaching school, which profession he followed for some time. In the spring of 1853 he formed a partnership with his father in the drug trade in Morgan County, which he continued for two years. Selling out he embarked in general merchandising, in 1857, but soon after was burned out. In 1859 he opened a grocery store and continued the business until 1861. In July of the same year he enlisted in the Twenty-fifth Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry, Company H, and was appointed orderly sergeant. His regiment participated in the second battle of Bull Run and he was also in many of the engagements of the Potomac. For meritorious conduct he was promoted to lieutenant, and then to captain, and made a capable and efficient officer. After returning home, in October, 1865, he came to Missouri and farmed in Johnson County until 1869, when he resumed general merchandising, this time in Taberville. In 1878 he sold out. In the spring of 1879 he was appointed deputy county clerk, and served three years. In the spring of 1883 he was again appointed deputy county clerk. Mr. C. married Miss Emaline Miller, of Pennsylvania, in 1854. They have three children: A. Branch, Edward M. and Kate M. The latter married Mr. Thomas David, of this city. Politically he is a Democrat, and he is a Royal Arch Mason. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COWAN, W.R.
W. R. Cowan, another prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Campbell Township, Polk County, Mo., and son of Robert and Mary J. (McDonnel) Cowan, was born in Dade County, Mo., April 13, 1850, was reared there on a farm and received a fair education in the common schools. At the age of twenty years he married Miss Arminta J. Carlock, who was also a native of Dade County, Mo., born in 1854, and shortly afterward they moved to Polk County, settling on a farm half in Cedar and half in Polk County. He resided in the former county for about five years, and then, in December, 1888, moved to his present farm. To his marriage were born eight children: Mary F., Arthur L., Kate, Laura B., Ora, Amanda D., Lemuel and Dorothy Alice. Mr. Cowan is a Democrat in politics. Robert Cowan, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in East Tennessee in 1824, and remained in that State until seventeen years of age, when he moved to Cedar County, Mo., and after a short time there went to St. Clair County, and later moved to Dadeville, Dade County. He was a Union soldier, and was first lieutenant in the regular service. Mary J. (McConnel) Cowan was born in Virginia, and became the mother of only one child, W. R. Cowan, and died when he was but four months old. The paternal grandfather, William Cowan, who was of Dutch descent, was a citizen of Tennessee. The maternal grandfather, Thomas McConnel, was a native of Virginia, and died in that State. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

COWAN, W.R.
W. R. Cowan, another prominent farmer and stock-raiser of Campbell Township, Polk County, Mo., and son of Robert and Mary J. (McDonnel) Cowan, was born in Dade County, Mo., April 13, 1850, was reared there on a farm and received a fair education in the common schools. At the age of twenty years he married Miss Arminta J. Carlock, who was also a native of Dade County, Mo., born in 1854, and shortly afterward they moved to Polk County, settling on a farm half in Cedar and half in Polk County. He resided in the former county for about five years, and then, in December, 1888, moved to his present farm. To his marriage were born eight children: Mary F., Arthur L., Kate, Laura B., Ora, Amanda D., Lemuel and Dorothy Alice. Mr. Cowan is a Democrat in politics. Robert Cowan, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born in East Tennessee in 1824, and remained in that State until seventeen years of age, when he moved to Cedar County, Mo., and after a short time there went to St. Clair County, and later moved to Dadeville, Dade County. He was a Union soldier, and was first lieutenant in the regular service. Mary J. (McConnel) Cowan was born in Virginia, and became the mother of only one child, W. R. Cowan, and died when he was but four months old. The paternal grandfather, William Cowan, who was of Dutch descent, was a citizen of Tennessee. The maternal grandfather, Thomas McConnel, was a native of Virginia, and died in that State. (History of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade & Barton Counties, Missouri 1889, pages 635-46)



COWIN, William
William Cowin, farmer, came originally from East Tennessee, where he was born in 1833. His parents were George and Lydia (Thornton) Cowin, the former born in July, 1800, and the latter on the first day of the first year of the nineteenth century. Their marriage occurred in 1823, and to them were born eight children, of whom William was the youngest. He lived in his native state until 1836, when he accompanied his father to Missouri, settling in Saline County. There he was reared upon a farm and enjoyed the advantages of attending the schools of the locality, gladly availing himself of such opportunities. In 1870 he was married to Miss Elizabeth Fizer, of Saline County, a daughter of Henry Fizer. Mr. Cowin now owns a fine farm of 200 acres. Politically he is a Democrat. He and his wife are members of the Baptist Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COX, Bernice Berdette
Bernice Berdette Cox was born 24 August 1899 in Appleton City, Missouri to Joseph and Alice Cox. He lived there until 1944. In 1917, he took a course on "Automobile Running" and accepted a job at Pickerill's garage.  Later he worked at Zink's Ford  Motor Co. until 1944. Bernice married Leora Irene Yost. She was born in Humansville, Missouri, 19 September 1898, to Sawyer and Henrietta Yost. Bernice and Leora had six children: Bernice Jr. (deceased), Joseph (deceased), Irene, Mary Jane, Marleeta, and Donald. Bernice loved music, leaning towards symphonic, opera and classical. His family often participated in the Sunday night musical programs during the summer, in the Appleton City Park. He formed a male quartet with Willis Burton, Lyman Parks and Josh Langley. Irene was their pianist. Bernice and Leora moved to Sedalia, Missouri in 1944. Daughters Irene and Mary Jane attended high school there. -- St. Clair County Families, Volume 1

COX, Pleasant M.
Dr. Pleasant M. Cox. No man in St. Clair County is better or more familiarly known than Dr. P. M. Cox, and no name is more of a household word than his, he being the first physician in the county. He was born in Daviess County, Kentucky, November 12, 1809, and was the son of Meredith Cox, a Virginian by birth, whose father, Samuel Cox, came originally from Ireland. Meredith Cox married Miss Margaret McFarland, who was also born in Virginia. Pleasant, the fourth of five sons, accompanied his father to Missouri when nine years old, the senior Cox settling in Lincoln County, where he died, in 1835. In the fall of 1836 our subject moved to Osceola, this county, with his mother, who died in the following year. Pleasant M. was deprived in early life of such educational advantages as he desired but still devoted his entire energies to the study of medicine. He read under the instruction of Dr. Eastern, of Pike County, and also with Dr. Nash, and after a thorough preparation, attended lectures at the Transylvania University, at Lexington, Kentucky, in 1830-31. He subsequently practiced his profession in Lincoln County, Missouri, until 1836, when he came to this county, practicing for some twenty years. In 1839 Dr. L. Lewis settled in Osceola and formed a partnership with Dr. Cox, which relation existed for several years. The latter entered portions of section 17, 20, 21 and 22 in this township, became a large land owner and a prominent citizen in southwest Missouri. Building a residence and store he was in company with Z. Lilley and others occupied in trade, and at the outbreak of the war was one of the wealthiest men in the county. In 1858 he was elected a member of the state legislature. During the war he was in Texas, and in 1865 went to Fayette, Arkansas, where he opened a drug store, sending the children of his daughter, Mrs. Dr. Harris, to school. In 1875 he returned to Osceola, but at present resides on his farm known as the Dr. Harris' place, which is managed by his son, Pleasant M., who is a large stock raiser and dealer. The Doctor was married in October, 1833, to Miss Elizabeth M. McClannahan, daughter of Elijah McClannahan, of Virginia. They have two children living: Margaret A., widow of Dr. E. E. Harris, and Pleasant Madison. Edwin Eugene Harris, M.D., was born in Albermarle County, Virginia, March 30, 1828, his parents being Major Samuel W. and Sarah Miller (Ward) Harris, of Virginia. He attended school for ten years and in 1840 came to Osceola, Missouri, and subsequently studied medicine with Dr. L. Lewis. He attended medical lectures at Louisville and graduated with honor in 1850. October 6, 1853, he married Miss Margaret Cox, daughter of Dr. P. M. Cox, and to them were born three daughters: Bettie Virginia, Sarah Eugenia and Agnes M. During the war Dr. Harris entered the military service of the Confederate army as surgeon in General Clark's Cavalry Division in the Trans-Mississippi department and was one of the most faithful and capable of surgeons. He died in Arkansas before the war closed. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



COX, William M.
William M. Cox, section 28, was born in Hopkins County, Kentucky, May 22, 1833. His father, Howell B. Cox, originally from North Carolina, was a son of Samuel Cox, of Richmond, Virginia, whose father early came from England. William's mother, formerly Henrietta Steen, of Hopkins County, Kentucky, was a daughter of Nathan Steen, a Kentuckian by birth, and a friend and companion of Daniel Boone. Howell Cox was for many years engaged as pilot on the Mississippi River, and was also interested in a successful business in which he became very wealthy. But serious reverses overtook him and he lost his property. He died in Kentucky in 1849, his wife having preceded him in 1835. In 1853 William M., the only surviving son of his parents, went to California and was occupied in milling a portion of the time, also having an interest in the Pilot Creek Canal and being agent for the company. He remained there for three years with satisfactory results; then returned to Kentucky and attended school for a time, when he came to Missouri, settling in St. Clair County. Purchasing a farm, he commenced its improvement, and has since been largely interested in raising, handling and shipping stock. In 1868, the political parties being in an unorganized condition, he took an active part in bringing the Democratic party back to its former status, and received the nomination for probate judge. In 1876 he was elected county sheriff, and in 1878 was elected clerk of the county, serving for four years. Mr. Cox now has a fine farm of 785 acres in this township. He is a member of the M. E. Church South, is a Royal Arch Mason and belongs to the I.O.O.F. and the A.O.U.W. fraternities. He married Miss Phebe H. Cox February 12, 1856. She was the daughter of William M. Cox, of Tennessee, and she died November 5, 1873, leaving three children: Howell S., Cargill C., and Phebe T., since deceased. His second wile was Mrs. Mary E. Palmer Clark. They have two children, Eudora and Agnes. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



CRAIG, Samuel G.
Samuel G. Craig, merchant and postmaster at Ohio post office, was born in Lawrence County, Pennsylvania, September 12, 1853, his parents being Joseph and Eliza (Kennedy) Craig, both natives of Ireland. They emigrated to the United States in 1840 and located in Pittsburg, Pennsylvania. Samuel G., the youngest son and sixth child of a family of seven children, spent his youth on a farm in his native county and received a good common school education, supplemented with a course at Copp's Commercial College at Paynesville, Ohio. After completing his studies he engaged in farming two years. In January, 1877, he went to Oregon, spent one year and in the fall of the same year returned and located in St. Clair County, Missouri. He was occupied in farming about four years, and in 1882, he embarked in the mercantile business at his present place. He carries a good stock of general merchandise, and is doing a fair business. Mr. Craig was appointed postmaster of the Ohio post office in October, 1882. He was married February 26, 1879, to Miss Emma M. Holden, a daughter of Henry Holden. She is a native of and was reared and educated in Illinois. They have three children: Joseph D., Ettie T. and Charles H. Mr. and Mrs. Craig are members of the Presbyterian Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

CRIPLIVER, W.L.
W.L. Cripliver, D.D.S., a young man who is meeting with good success in the profession will be found in the second story of the Hodkins' building where he occupies an elegant suite of rooms as dental parlors. He is a young man of high business and moral standing. -- Appleton City Journal, 28 March 1901

CRUTCHFIELD, Richard P.
Richard P. Crutchfield and his twin brother, John, were born in Kentucky about 1814. When Richard P. arrived in this section in the fall of 1835, he was trying to forget a recent jilting by a Kentucky belle and was glad to find a business opening that would give him immediate occupation. He entered into partnership with Phillips Crow and in the spring of 1836 they opened the first store in what is now St. Clair County at the crossing of the Osage. The building was of poles and was erected on a claim that Mr. Crow had on the river bank where the old ford was and near the present dam. It was no doubt in the interest of trade that Mr. Crutchfield signed the petition of August 2, 1836 to the Rives County court for a road fro, “Crow and Crutchfield’s” to the Benton County line. This same year, the attractive Nash girls had moved to the settlement with their mother and stepfather, Dr. Cox and before long young Mr. Crutchfield had discovered he could forget his shattered romance. On August 12, 1837 he was married to Matilda Penn Nash, the oldest of the sisters and established her in a home not far from his store. Mrs. Crutchfield, born May 17, 1817 in Virginia, was named for her maternal grandmother, a daughter of Col. Gabriel Penn of Amherst Co. who was first cousin to John Penn of North Carolina who signed the Declaration of Independence. The summer of 1838 was eventful for the new household. July 23rd a daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. Crutchfield and they gave her the name Lelia Vernon. In August, the first election in Osceola Township was held at “Crow and Crutchfield’s” store.
This river crossing, considered the usual head of navigation of the Osage, proved to be such an excellent place of business as a distributing point for all the country to the southwest, that a number of settlers decided it would be an ideal town site. Mr. Crutchfield was a surveyor and one of the enthusiasts who helped plat the town that he and the Crow brothers held and other tracts adjoining. Among the earliest deeds in the county are some signed by Richard P. and Matilda P. Crutchfield. The oldest known deed to property in the present bounds of St. Clair County is the one dated the 16th day of May 1839 between Henry W. Crow and Virginia I., his wife, Philips Crow and Maria F., his wife and Richard P. Crutchfield and Matilda P, his wife of the county of Rives and the State of Missouri of one part and Joseph W. Cox of the county and state aforesaid of the other part, whereby the Crows and Crutchfields sold Lot No. 3 in Block 24 in the newly platted town to Mr. Cox for $50. In 1840, the population had reached fifty to sixty in the new town, named Osceola for the Seminole Indian Chief and “Crow and Crutchfield” was prospering as a business concern. But, there was an epidemic of illness that summer and on September 8, 1840, Mr. Crutchfield succumbed. His wife died November 30, 1840 leaving their little daughter to the care of her mother, Mrs. P. M. Cox so Dr. Cox was appointed guardian for the child. Lelia Crutchfield grew up in the home of her grandparents, along with the Cox children who were about her age, and she received an education unusual for the young ladies of her day. In 1849, she accompanied Mrs. Cox to Virginia by riverboat and when she was about fourteen, she was taken to Kentucky to visit her Crutchfield kin and stayed a year or more. She had not been home in the county very long when she met young John M. Weidemeyer who was in the mercantile business with his father in Osceola. They soon became engaged and were married November 12, 1856. They made their home in Osceola until the War between the States when Mr. Weidemeyer left for service with the Missouri State Guard and with the Confederate Army, expecting his wife to stay with Mr. and Mrs. Zachariah Lilley. But the day after he left, Mrs. Weidemeyer set out and overtook her husband with the troops at Springfield and went on ahead of them to Arkansas and her Cox grandparents. Mrs. Weidemeyer drove to Palestine, Texas in a buggy accompanied by two children, one and three years old, and a negro woman, a slave. It took many weeks to make the trip and the little party often had only the hospitality of Indians on their nightly stops. She had expected to find her father-in-law at Ft. Smith but he had gone on to Texas where she eventually joined him after stops with many relatives along the way. At the surrender of Vicksburg, her husband was paroled for exchange and was given leave to visit his family before reporting back for duty with the Missouri troops in the Trans-Mississippi department. Capt. Weidemeyer was assigned to Gen. Cockrell as Division Ordinance Officer and was in the campaign from Dalton to Atlanta, Georgia. He was with the Missouri troops that surrendered at Ft. Blakeley near Mobile, Alabama. When the war was over, Capt. Weidemeyer returned to his family in Texas and then brought them to Fayetteville, Arkansas for a temporary residence before establishing a permanent home in Clinton, Missouri where he opened a grocery store. Capt. and Mrs. Weidemeyer lived to celebrate their golden wedding and to have Mrs. Lawrence Lewis of Osceola to play their piano for them on this occasion, just as she had at their wedding. After Capt. Weidemeyer’s death, Mrs. Weidemeyer lived with her daughters, dividing her time between Clinton and Kansas City. Her last years were spent at her old home in Clinton where she passed away Sunday, June 22, 1931 at the ripe old age of ninety-two. Although Richard P. Crutchfield had but one child, there are many of his descendants scattered from Missouri to the west coast.  -- St. Clair County Democrat, May 16, 1940
 

 

HOME