St. Clair County Missouri
Biographies

D


DALTON, REV. JAMES GRIGSBY
A Memorial and Biographical Record of Kansas City and Jackson Co., Missouri
Rev. James Grigsby Dalton, the esteemed pastor of the Little Blue and Pleasant Prairie Cumberland Presbyterian Churches, resides in Sniabar Township near the former place. He was born in Greenbriar County, Virginia 7 June 1824, and in his 15th year came to Missouri with his parents, William and Mary (Renick) Dalton. His father was a native of Albemarle County, Virginia, and the mother of Rockingham County. They made the journey to Missouri by wagon, being about two months on the road, but at length arrived in Lexington. They were in limited circumstances, but the father succeeded in purchasing two hundred acres of unimproved land in Jackson County, twelve miles northwest of Warrensburg. His death occurred in 1842, at the age of seventy-two years. He was noted for his power of endurance as a walker, and made the journey on foot from the Old Dominion. At his death he left a family of five sons and three daughters, of whom three are now living. His wife died in 1857. Mr. Dalton, of this sketch, and his twin sister were next to the youngest of the family. James G. remained at home until he had attained his majority and then engaged in school teaching. In 1847 he had become a member of the church, and in his twenty-fifth year began to preach, delivering his first sermon on the first Sunday in May 1848, in the little church in Johnson County. He united with the presbytery about October 1, 1847, was licensed in October 1849 and ordained on the 1st of April 1852 near Dover, La Fayette County, by the Lexington presbytery, with which he has always been connected. He spent five years on the circuit work in Johnson, Henry, St. Clair and La Fayette Counties, with two appointments. The territory at that time was but sparsely settled and there were few church organizations and no houses of worship in the circuit. He preached almost entirely in private homes and occasionally in a school house or courthouse. During the summer from July to October he was engaged in camp-meeting, and at each had from twenty-five to one hundred conversions. At a meeting held in Johnson County, Missouri after an exhortation made by Uncle Jake Crow, over one hundred penitents came forward. Uncle Jake, who lived in the community, was undoubtedly one of the most powerful exhorters ever known. A man of little education, he had no training for this work, “but out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh”, and he was a power in church work. He established the Little Blue church, assisted only by Mrs. Lobb, who would do the singing. He had a brother named Ben who was his exact counterpart in appearance and their own children could scarcely tell them apart. In the year 1842 there occurred the greatest revival that had ever been held in this locality, resulting in the establishment of several flourishing churches. In the spring of 1854, Mr. Dalton came to his present home and took charge of the Little Blue Cumberland Presbyterian church, three miles north of Blue Springs. In the same year the congregation erected a frame house of worship, which was in use for forty years, with Mr. Dalton as pastor. It had a membership of fifty when he assumed charge, but it continued to grow, and in 1860 its membership had reached over two hundred. Again Mr. Dalton had successful revival services, receiving more than fifty converts into the church, at two meetings. He seemed specially fitted for this department of religious work, and the influence that he has exerted on the higher life of western Missouri has been immeasurable. Since the War he has also been the pastor of Pleasant Prairie church, formerly the Union Church, at Bone Hill. It now stands on Pleasant Prairie in La Fayette County, nine miles east of his home. He has been the regular pastor of the Little Blue church for forty one years, of Pleasant Prairie church for twenty eight years, and for about fifteen years was pastor of the Chapel Hill church, from which service he retired two years since. He organized the Cumberland Presbyterian church at Blue Springs, of which he remained in charge for two years. The Little Blue church has now about one hundred members, but the churches at Blue Springs, Lee’s Summit and Woods Chapel are all the outgrowth of Little Blue. The last named was organized by Rev. William Horn about 1847, with five members, namely: Aquilla Lobb and wife and Rev. Cornelius Yeager and wife, and a negro who belonged to Mr. Lobb. There are still some members connected with the church who were there when Mr. Dalton assumed the pastorate. These include Calvin and Andy Lowe, William N. Crenshaw, J.A. Steele and Mrs. Daniel DeWitt. Rev. Mr. Dalton was married on the 10th of November 1865 to Miss Lucy Jane Crump, daughter of Samuel Crump, of Sniabar, who had been one of his pupils in the public schools and whom he had baptized into the church at the age of fifteen years. Their family numbers three children: Samuel Grigsby, who was born 12 June 1867 and aids in the cultivating of the home farm; Mary Elizabeth, who is engaged in teaching; and Paulina Agnes, at home. In 1871 Mr. Dalton moved upon the farm which he has since made his home. He makes his ministerial work his chief duty in life but in his leisure hours engages in the cultivation of his farm and the improvement of his land. In politics he is Independent, supporting the man whom he thinks best qualified for the office. His career has been such as to command him the regard of all, of both his own and other denominations, and the most genuine respect is universally extended him. -- Kansas City and Jackson County, Missouri Biographical Record, 1896

DANIEL, Franz Powell
Franz Powell Daniel, harness and saddle manufacturer, was born in Poland, Prussia, February 19, 1836, his parents being John and Hannah W. Daniel. He learned the harness trade, commencing when fourteen years of age, and in October, 1857, he enlisted in the German army, in the cavalry service, and was detailed as saddlemaker of the regiment. June 28, 1866, he emigrated to America, and settled in Chicago, Illinois, where he worked at his trade. He came to Osceola, Missouri, December 28, 1868, and in April of the next year he opened a harness shop, and is now proprietor of the oldest establishment in town, and he is having a prosperous trade. Mr. Daniel married Miss Antonia Dierfield, of Germany, in January, 1863. She died in Chicago June, 1867, leaving one son, Powell. His second wife was Bertha Dierfield (sister of his first wife). By this marriage they have four children: George, Agatha, Tell and Anna. Mr. D., politically, is a Democrat, and he is also a member of the A.O.U.W. and Masonic fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DAVIDSON, A. C.
Dr. A. C. Davidson, a prominent physician and surgeon at Taberville. His father, Alfred Davidson, was a native of Kentucky, as was also his mother, whose maiden name was Mary J. Adams. A. C. was born in Warren County, Kentucky, October 22, 1848. In August, 1857, he moved with his parents to Shawnee County, Kansas, where they located on a farm and lived till the fall of 1865. Coming to Missouri they settled in Hickory County, and in 1874 our subject located in Taberville. In 1878 he began the study of medicine under Dr. J. H. Newman, and in 1874 commenced his practice, and has since been very successful. He was also engaged in the drug business from 1874 till September 28, 1882, when his store was burned. Since living in this county he has been county coroner several terms. Dr. Davidson was married November 12, 1876, to Miss Ida L. Baker, who was born in Cooper County. Missouri, March 18, 1861. She died August 19, 1880. He was married again April 9, 1882, to Miss Rosa Ayers, a native of Saline County, Missouri, born August 19, 1862. The doctor is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the I.O.O.F. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DAVIS, Morris S.
Morris S. Davis was born in Yates County, New York, January 16, 1816. His father, Malachi Davis, was a native of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and his mother, formerly Catherine Kress, was born in the same state. They reared eight children, Morris being the second. When he was eight years old the family removed to Allegany County, New York, where he grew up, and from his fifteenth year he was engaged at the trade of cabinet maker, which he continued three years. For the following three years he worked at the millwright trade, and then gave his attention to carpentering and farming till 1869. Moving to Bates County, Missouri, remained till October, 1870, then coming to Appleton City, where he embarked in the hardware business, opening the first store of the kind in this city. He received the first bill of goods which entered the place, obtaining them before the town was named. After two years of mercantile life he disposed of his stock. In 1872 he was appointed justice of the peace, and in 1873 was elected to the same position, and served by re-election nine years. During that time he was a notary public and still holds this position. He is now a member of the city council. Mr. Davis was married June 16, 1839, to Miss Hester Ketchum, of Allegany County, New York. They have three children: Freeman I., Latanius M. and Lavina M., the latter two being twins. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DAVIS, S. G.
S. G. Davis, farmer and plasterer, section 16, was born in Cole County, Missouri, July 20, 1842, and is a son of Peter E. and Catherine (McKinsey) Davis who were natives of Kentucky. The subject of this sketch was reared to the occupation of farming and the trade of plastering, which his father also followed. In 1859 they moved to Benton County, Missouri, where S. G. followed his present business till 1875. He then went to Polk County, Missouri, and one year later came to St. Clair County, where he has since resided. He now has a farm of 160 acres. February 1, 1860, Mr. Davis was married to Miss Eliza J. Bowman, who was born in Benton County, Missouri, September 16, 1843. She died June 19, 1881, leaving six children: Eugenia, Peter, Jasper, Charley, Ella M. and Preston. Mr. D. is a member of the Missionary Baptist Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DAWSON, John
John Dawson, owes his nativity to Patrick County, Virginia, where he was born March 30, 1822. His father, Elijah Dawson, originally from Maryland, married Miss Henrietta Coble, of North Carolina, and a niece of the Hon. Howell Coble, of Georgia. They came to Missouri in 1832, and settled in Crawford County. They reared a family of seven children, of whom John was the third in number. His education was obtained at home and he taught school and also clerked in a store for several years, coming to this county in 1848. He afterwards taught at Pierce City for eight months. Mr. D. early made claims of land lying on Weaubleau Creek, and after improving it sold the property and bought elsewhere, and in this he was very successful. Finally selling out he came to Roscoe and engaged in clerking. In 1861 he enlisted in the six months' service under Captain J, J. Tulley's Twenty-seventh Missouri Mounted Infantry, and on December 18, 1861, he entered Company A, Eighth Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry, Captain David Stockton, commanding. On May 7, 1863, he was honorably discharged to accept the appointment of county clerk for St. Clair County, and this position he held for one year, then resigning. In November, 1864, he was appointed county treasurer, and served as such by appointment and re-election for six years. During his official term he was also occupied in selling goods, having the office of treasurer in his store. Purchasing a farm he still continued business in the city, but in 1876 moved upon this place, which is in section 3, containing 350 acres of excellent land. Mr. Dawson was married December 22, 1848, to Miss Edna Cole, of this county, who died October 11, 1866, leaving one child, Henrietta Ruth, now the wife of W. O. Mead. His second wife was Miss Narcissus E. Devin, to whom he was married February 24, 1867. Her father was Judge W. R. Devin, of Polk County, Virginia, and also of Tennessee. There is one child living by this marriage, Vista Lucetta, born January 4, 1872. One son, Thomas W. died August 26, 1871. This wife died August 30, 1874. Mr. D. was married the third time May 17, 1875, to Mary Ann Josephine George, of Polk County. Politically he is a Republican. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In all positions of life, Mr. Dawson has proven himself a competent and honest man, both in and out of official positions. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DELOZIER, James Madison
James Madison DeLozier owes his nativity to South Carolina, where he was born in 1813. Edward H. Delozier, his father, born in Maryland in 1779, was married in 1812 to Miss Frances Dyre, a Virginian by birth, who was born in 1784. James M. Delozier is recognized as being one of the earliest settlers of this county, having come here while it was in its unimproved state, and after years of toil and privations, encountering many difficulties, has succeeded in securing a landed estate of 140 acres on King's Prairie, situated out of the line of bluffs bordering Weaubleau Creek. In 1847 he was married to Melissa Jane Todd, daughter of John B. Todd, of this county. They have had fourteen children: George W., Joseph J., Mary C., James E., William J., Martha J., Rebecca F., John A., Francis M., Henry, Robert, John W., Margaret and Lucy A. Politically, he is a Republican of the strongest type. During the late war he served in the Eighth Missouri under Colonel McClurg. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

DEWEY, Cyrus I.
Dewey, Cyrus I. Resides at Osceola, Missouri; born 1847, in Manchester, Michigan; father, Cyrenus J. Dewey (born in Vermont); mother, Beulah Wilcox (born in Vermont). Married Rhoada, his wife, 1878; children: Harlan, Esther, Fred, Nellie. Enlisted February 26, 1864, at Detroit, in Company K, Eleventh Michigan Infantry; transferred to Company K, as reorganized April 15, 1865; made Corporal May 8, 1865; served in battles at Peach Tree Creek and Kenesaw Mountain; discharged September 16, 1865, at Detroit, Michigan. Member Christian Church and G.A.R. Post. Settled in county at Primghar in 1873. -- Old Soldiers of O'Brien Co., Iowa



DISNEY, Charles C.
Charles C. Disney, a prominent contractor and builder at Johnson City, was born in Anderson County, Tennessee, November 3, 1851, and is a son of Judge Elias and Tabitha (Lovely) Disney, also natives of Tennessee. In 1856 the family moved to Missouri and located in Gasconade County, where they resided about two years, coming thence to St. Clair County in the spring of 1859. Elias Disney has since been elected and served as county. He was also a lieutenant of a militia company during the late war. Charles C. was the third child of a family of three sons and one daughter. He spent his youth on a farm and received a good education in the English branches, and after completing his studies he engaged in teaching in the public schools, and now ranks as one of the best instructors in the county. He has taught the last three years in Johnson City. He has also learned the carpenter's trade, and when not occupied in teaching follows the business of contractor and builder. He has worked at this during the summer seasons for the last four years. Mr. Disney was married December 22, 1872, to Miss Macy Herndon, of Ozark County, Missouri, and a daughter of Henry W. and Martha A. C. Herndon. They have four children: Walter Eugene, Estella Rose, Elva Eveline and Edgar E. They lost one child, Minnie Belle, who died in February, 1879. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DITTY, Abram C.
Abram C. Ditty, section 26. One of the oldest settlers of St. Clair County, is he whose name heads this sketch. Mr. Ditty has lived in this county nearly half a century, having been brought here in 1838, when but one year old. He was born in the adjoining county of Henry on November 3, 1837, his father subsequently settling on the farm, upon which the son now lives. The senior Ditty dying in 1847, the remainder of the family returned to Tennessee, where Abram lived with his grandfather until sixteen years old, when he again came to St. Clair County. In 1862 he served a short time in Company E, Sixteenth Regiment, and in 1864 in Company A, Wood's Battalion of Price's army, and was with the forces at the surrender at Shreveport in May, 1865. Spending a few months in Saline County, he then came back to St. Clair in August of the same year, and on the 22d of the following February was married to Miss Fannie Yonce, daughter of Andrew Yonce. She was born in St. Clair County October 11, 1840. Seven children have been born to them: William F., Robert E., James M., Ollie N., Charles A., Wade H. and Edna E. Mr. Ditty's farm contains 140 acres, well improved, upon which, at a cost of several hundred dollars, he has built a commodious house. He is prominent in the educational matters of this district. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DITTY, James
James Ditty, section 35. Prominent among the pioneer settlers of this county is James Ditty, who was born June 27, 1817, in Wythe County, West Virginia. His parents were Abraham and Jennie (Ferguson) Ditty and while he was yet in his infancy they removed to Tennessee and settled in what is now Putnam County. In 1839 James Ditty came to St. Clair County and settled where he now resides. He has been married three times, first to Miss Charlotte Fergus, December 8, 1842. She died in the following November and April 14, 1850, he married Miss Elizabeth Burke, who died October 26. 1862, leaving four children: John B., Samuel H., Frances J. and James A. His present wife was Miss Susan Sproul, a native of Missouri. They were married November 5, 1864, and have five children: Francis R., Pike M., Dilly A., Nora and Elizabeth. Mr. Ditty has a farm of 335 acres, 300 of which are well improved. He is one of the leading farmers of his section of the county and has done much in developing the interests of St. Clair County. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DODGE, Josiah
Josiah Dodge was born in Washington County, Tennessee, November 19 1827. He was there reared till seventeen years of age, when he settled in Pulaski County, Missouri, engaging in farming. In 1846 he enlisted in the Mexican war under Captain Stein at Fort Leavenworth, Kansas, and served in Company D. First Dragoons of Kentucky, till September 28, 1848. During his service he was wounded with a lance in the thigh, and at Tucker's Bayou was thrown from his horse, which disabled him for some time. In 1848 he returned to Pulaski County, Missouri, where he remained till 1850. Emigrating to California, he mined and dealt in stock till September, 1879, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. He has a fine farm of 200 acres under cultivation. Mr. Dodge was married September 8, 1853, to Miss Lucy Willoughby. They had six children, four of whom are living: Ellen, Charles, Jefferson and William. Mrs. Dodge's death occurred in January, 1863. He was again married January 18, 1864, to Miss Margaret Underwood, of Jackson County, Missouri. They had one child, Josiah B. His second wife died in August, 1866, and he was subsequently married to Elizabeth Eames September 28, 1868. His present wife was formerly Betty Kirby, a native of Tennessee. They have had five children: Kirby, Lydia, Lucy, Jeriel and Jessie. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DOOLEY, William Henry
William Henry Dooley, farmer and stock raiser, is the owner of 120 acres of land on section 20. He was born in Polk County, Missouri, in January, 1838, being a son of Henry E. Dooley, of Georgia, who was born in 1800. His mother's maiden name was Jane Cornelius, of South Carolina. They came to Missouri in 1830, and settled in Greene County, near Springfield, arriving here before the Indian title became extinct. They were forced to return to the eastern part of the state, remaining there until 1832, when they again came back and once more located near Springfield. In 1836 he moved to Polk County and settled in Bolivar, building the first house, which was afterwards used for a court house for some years. In 1843 they went into Greene Township, Hickory County, where Mr. D. bought several hundred acres of land and made extensive improvements. He died in 1849. Mrs. Dooly is yet living in Hickory County, and is eighty-six years old. They had seven children, of whom Wm. H. was the youngest. He resided with the family in Hickory County until 1873, when he purchased a farm in Speedwell Township, where he now resides. He married Amanda E. Nance in 1869. She was the daughter of Saunders Nance, who came here in 1835, from Virginia. They have five children: John L., Leanna, Azalin, Henry Emmet, and Ezra. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DOWERS, Newton
Newton Dowers, section 17, was born in Ripley County, Indiana, December 29, 1843, his parents being Alexander and Kisiah (Lacock) Dowers, natives of Indiana. Newton was reared in his native county, and was there educated in the common schools. About the year 1861 he went to Edgar County, Illinois, where he was employed in farming until 1878. Then he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. He owns a farm of eighty acres. Mr. D. is a member of the M. E. Church, and also belongs to the I.O.O.F. order. December 22, 1864, he married Miss Caroline Gilkey, a native of Illinois. She died February 13, 1878, leaving five children: Allen A., John O., Erie A., Emma and Ira B. August 21, 1879, he was again married to Mrs. Katie Penrodd, of Texas. They have three children: George W., Nellie and Charles W. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DUDLEY, William
William Dudley, a native of Lancaster County, Virginia, was born February 2, 1811, being the son of Landron and Mary Dudley, nee Rivier, also Virginians by birth, and the former served in the war of 1812, and was killed in service. They had six children, three of whom are living, two sons and one daughter. Mrs. D. died in 1813 in Virginia. Leaving the state of his birth at the age of eighteen years, William Dudley moved to Lincoln County, Missouri, purchased eighty acres of land and remained upon it for one year. In 1833 he married Miss Almeda Jemmerson, of Lincoln County, who died there, leaving one son, David L. He died during the late war. His second marriage occurred to Miss Nancy Stevens, also of Lincoln County. To them were born three sons and two daughters of whom only Almeda (wife of William J. Horn of this township) and Mary A. (wife of Samuel J. Hurst, of Cedar County) are living. In 1848, Mr. Dudley came to St. Clair County and has since lived in Doyal Township. He first purchased a half section of land and in 1861 owned 1,000 acres, but after dividing much among his children only has now 440 acres. He deals quite extensively in cattle and other stock and his farm is among the best in the township. Mr. D. was one of the constituent members of the Christian Church at Pleasant Hill, this county, and has been connected with the Christian Church for half a century. His wife and three daughters belong to the same church. In his political views he is a Greenbacker. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



DUNN, George W.
George W. Dunn, attorney at law, and one of the prominent men of Montrose, was born near Lawrenceburg, in Lawrence County, Indiana, April 3, 1850. His father, William H. Dunn, a native of Kentucky, was born January 25, 1813, and married Miss Matilda J. Hughes, also of that state. George W. moved with his parents to Pulaski County, where he spent his younger days on a farm, his primary education being obtained at the public schools, supplemented with two years attendance at the high school at Burnettsville, Indiana. After finishing his studies at this school he was engaged in teaching in his native state for two years. In 1870 he came to Missouri and located at Richmond, where he read law with an uncle, Judge George W. Dunn one of the leading attorneys of the place and a pioneer of Ray County. Upon being admitted to the bar in 1871 he came to Henry County, settling in Montrose in December, of the same year, when he commenced the practice of his chosen profession. He is also in the real estate business and conducts transactions in wild and improved lands and town property. Mr. Dunn is the mayor of this town, and has many friends among his acquaintances. He was married in Montrose September 15, 1874, to Miss Maria O. Capehart, of West Virginia, who was reared and educated in Henry County, and a daughter of Joseph Capehart, one of the pioneers of this county. Mr. and Mrs. Dunn have lost two children, one in infancy, and George. C., who died October 2, 1882, at the age of three years and seven months. Mrs. D. is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. He belongs to the Odd Fellows order and has filled all the chairs in the subordinate lodge, and was a representative to the grand lodge, in 1881. -- History of Henry County Missouri, 1883

DURAND, John B.
Prairie Township - John B. Durand, merchant at Prairie City, was born in Bradford County, Pennsylvania, October 22, 1848, and was the son of Joshua Newberry Durand, a native of Orange County, New York, born April 16, 1816, who, while a boy accompanied his parents to Bradford County, Pennsylvania, where he became a farmer. In 1850, he came with his family to Bates County, Missouri. He enlisted in the Sixtieth Enrolled Missouri Militia, in Captain Newberry's company of Home Guards, during the war, and was killed in 1863. His wife was formerly Betsey Bryan, of Susquehanna County, Pennsylvania, and they were the parents of six children, four boys and two girls. Of these three ony are living. John B., the eldest son, obtained a common school education, supplemented by an attendance of nine months at the State University at Columbia. After the death of his father, he assumed control of affairs, and when twenty years old embarked in business life for himself. January 20, 1877, he married Miss Anna Short, of St. Clair County, and by this union they have three children, two sons and a daughter: Walter W., Jessie Rosina and Oscar B. Mr. Durand is now engaged in business at Prairie City, and is post-master of the town. His wife also takes charge of the store and the post office to some extent. He is the owner of a farm of 500 acres in section 13, upon which are 4,000 bearing apple trees, an orchard of 300 peach, fifty pear trees, and other fruit. He does quite a business in fruit drying, has a fruit dryer in operation during the apple season, and ships large quantities of this fruit to Philadelphia and other markets. His religious preferences are with the Hard Shell Baptists, while Mrs. Durand is a member of the M.E. Church at Rockville. -- History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883

 


HOME