St. Clair County Missouri
Biographies

G
 
GARDNER, J. Wade
J. Wade Gardner, M.D. In the latter part of the last century, the grandfather of our subject, emigrated from Scotland to America, settling in Virginia, where he farmed until his death. His son, Robert F. Gardner, was born August 7, 1805, in Campbell County, Virginia. He located in Marshall County, Tennessee, in 1838, and in 1841 settled in St. Clair County, Missouri, where he died when fifty-six years old, in October, 1861. J. Wade Gardner, the eldest of five children of Robert T. and Susan B. (Beck) Gardner, was born in Marshall County, Tennessee, May 10, 1839, and when but two years old was brought by his parents to St. Clair County, where they gave him his early education in the schools of Osceola. In his eighteenth year he began the study of medicine under Dr. G. W. Dollel, with whom he remained three years. In 1859 he located in Dallas, Texas, but after remaining a short time he returned to Missouri, and entered upon the practice of medicine, and connected with it the drug business in Wellsville, Dade County. At the breaking out of the war in 1861, he removed to Neosho, and was in charge of a hospital under General Rains' command until January, 1862, when he went to Arkansas. The following June, on his return to Pineville, McDonald County, Missouri, he was taken prisoner, but was released upon taking the oath of allegiance to the United States' government, and in July, 1862, returned to Osceola. He remained on his father's farm, practicing medicine in the neighborhood until the fall of 1864, when he moved to St. Louis, but only stayed there one year, when he came back to Osceola, and was appointed deputy clerk, which position he held until January 1, 1867. From that time until January 1, 1871, he was engaged in the real estate agency and mercantile business, and also practiced his profession.. He was then reappointed deputy clerk and held the position six months, when he was obliged to resign, having on the first day of July, 1871, established the Osage Valley, a Democratic paper. The duties of his new calling demanding all his time. But in a short time he disposed of his newspaper office and again turned his attention to the real estate business in connection with the practice of medicine, which he has continued to the present time. In 1876 he was the county physician. Dr. Gardner has always taken an active part in politics. In 1860 he was appointed elector on the Bell and Everett presidential ticket and in 1864, to the same position on the McClellan ticket. During Governor Brown's administration he was elected clerk of the senate committee on apportionment or redistricting the state into representative senatorial and congressional districts. He was a delegate to the Democratic State Convention of 1862, 1873, and 1874, and also held various positions of importance in his county. The Doctor took a very active part in opposing the payment of county bonds issued for railroad purposes in advance of the completion of tile roads, and has taken a leading part in the endeavor to compromise the county indebtedness for the encouragement of immigration. He is a member of Horeb Royal Arch Chapter No. 47, of the Masonic fraternity. September 7, 1859 he was married to Miss Mary R. Devin, daughter of Judge William R. and Rebecca (Oliver) Devin, of Polk County, Missouri, but originally from Virginia. By her he has one child: Rosanna, born June 21, 1867. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GARDNER, James D.
James D. Gardner, one of the substantial and prosperous farmers of Doyal Township, was born in Campbell County, Tennessee, April 15, 1820. His father, John Gardner, was a native of Scotland, but was reared within four miles of London, England. His mother's maiden name was Elizabeth Finch. The subject of this sketch accompanied his father to Virginia, where he lived until 1841, and in the spring of 1842 came to Missouri. After a residence here of five years, he returned to Virginia, where he lived one year and then once more came to this county, which has since been his home. November 13, 1865, he came to where he now lives. He married Miss Charlotte T. Allen February 24, 1853. She was born in Henry County, Virginia, but came with her parents to this county in 1838. Their family consists of two children: Harriet J., (now Mrs. T. Wheeden) and W. F. They have lost two: Martha E. and Mary E. Mr. Gardner is known as a man of excellent judgment, cautious in all business transactions, upright and honorable in all his dealings, and merits the esteem in which he is held by the community. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

GARDNER, Dr. John Wade
J. Wade Gardner, M.D. – Osceola. In the latter part of the last century, the grandfather of our subject emigrated from Scotland to America, settling in Virginia, where he was a farmer until his death. His son, Robert F. Gardner, was born August 7, 1805 in Campbell County, Virginia; located in Marshall County, Tennessee in 1838, and in 1841 settled in St. Clair County, Missouri where he engaged in farming and stock raising until he was fifty-six years old, when he died October 1861. J. Wade Gardner, the eldest of five children of Robert T. & Susan B. (Beck) Gardner, was born in Marshall County, Tennessee May 10, 1839 and when but two years old was brought by his parents to St. Clair County, where they gave him his early education in the schools of Osceola. In his eighteenth year he began the study of medicine under Dr. G.W. Dorrell, with whom he remained three years. In 1859 he located in Dallas, Texas but remaining only a short time, he returned to Missouri and entered upon the practice of medicine and connected with it the drug business in Wellsville, Dade County. At the breaking out of the war in 1861, he removed to Neosho and remained in charge of a hospital under General Rains’ command until January 1862, when he went to Arkansas. The following June on his return to Pineville, McDonald County, Missouri he was taken prisoner but was released upon taking the oath of Allegiance to the United States Government and in July 1862 returned to Osceola. He remained on his father’s farm practicing medicine in the neighborhood, until the fall of 1864, when he moved to St. Louis, but only stayed there one year, when he returned to Osceola and was appointed a deputy clerk, which position he held until January 1, 1867. From that time until January 1, 1871 he engaged in the real estate agency and mercantile business and also practiced his profession. He was then reappointed deputy clerk and held the position six months, when he was obliged to resign, having on the first day of July 1871, established the Osage Valley, a Democratic paper, the duties of his new calling demanding all his time. But in a short time he disposed of his newspaper office and again turned his attention to the real estate business in connection with the practice of medicine, which he has continued to the present time. In 1876 he was the county physician. Dr. Gardner is a Democrat and has always taken an active part in politics. In 1860 he was appointed elector on the Bell and Everett presidential ticket, and in 1864 to the same position on the McClellan ticket. During Governor Brown’s administration he was elected clerk of the senate committee on apportionment or redistricting the state into representative senatorial, and congressional districts. He was a delegate to the Democratic state conventions of 1862, 1873 and 1874, and has also held various positions of importance in his county. The Doctor took a very active part in opposing the payment of County bonds issued for railroad purposes, in advance of the completion of the roads; he has also taken a leading part in the endeavor to compromise the county indebtedness for the encouragement of immigration. He is liberal in his religious views, and is a member of the Horeb Royal Arch Chapter No. 47, of the Masonic fraternity. September 7, 1859 Dr. Gardner was married to Miss Mary R. Devin, daughter of Judge William R. and Rebecca (Oliver) Devin of Polk County, Missouri but originally from Virginia. By her he has one child, Rosanna, born June 21, 1867. -- Missouri Biographical Dictionary



GARNETT, R. W.
Dr. R. W. Garnett, physician and farmer, section 33, was born in Barren County, Kentucky, June 3, 1828, his parents being William I. and Emily (Willis) Garnett, natives of Virginia. R. W. was the third of a family of five children. He grew to manhood in Kentucky, receiving his education in the schools of that state and at the age of seventeen began the study of medicine with Dr. John Green of Barren County. He read with him about three years after which he began practicing in that county where he remained until 1855. Then he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he has since practiced his profession and followed farming. His farm contains 200 acres and will average with any in this section. He is a member of the Baptist Church and belongs to the Masonic fraternity. August 2, 1860, Dr. G. was married to Miss Julia A. Ledbetter. She was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, September 9, 1842. They have eight children: William I., Lucy Lee, Ed., Docia, Ermine, Bettie, Josia, and Dick. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GASH, Alfred L.
 Alfred L. Gash, a native of Marion County, Missouri, was born September 20, 1823, his parents, William and Elizabeth Gash, having been among the earliest settlers of St. Clair County. The former was born in East Tennessee and in 1820, was married in Marion County, Missouri, to which locality he had moved in 1818. In 1835 the family came to this. county, locating about one mile from the present residence of Alfred L. Here William Gash died in 1847, his wife departing this life in 1858. In 1848 the subject of this sketch was married to Miss Lucinda Phillips, a daughter of Gomer Phillips, an old resident of this county. They have seven children living: Jane E., Mary C., William G., Martha L., John T., James G. and Lucinda L. Mr. Gash is at present living upon and conducting the farm of a brother who is in California. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GEORGE, Thomas F.
 Thomas F. George, section 7, a native of Logan County, Ohio, was born August 23, 1833. When four years of age he accompanied the family to Madison County, Indiana, where he was reared on his father's farm, there receiving his education. In 1863 he enlisted in Company B, 134th Indiana Regiment, serving till October, 1865, and in that year he moved to Jackson County, Missouri. After residing there three years he came to St. Clair County, settling where he now resides in the spring of 1869. His farm consists of eighty-two acres. Mr. George was married March 4, 1854, to Miss Prudence Cumins, a native of Ohio. They have one child, Francis. They are members of the M. E. Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

GERSTER, Samuel William
Samuel W. Gerster is a native of Fairfield County, of the "Buckeye State." And was born on the 20th of June, 1854, being a son of Johanes and Elizabeth (Goss) Gerster, who were born in Switzerland and Fairfield Counties, Ohio, respectively. The former died in Hickory County, Mo., in 1880, when fifty-eight years of age. He left his native land when twenty-one years of age, and came to the United States, and, after residing in different counties in Ohio until 1869, came to Missouri and located on the farm on which his son Samuel W. is now living. He was a farmer the
greater portion of his life, but also followed the mill-wright and carpenter's trade. He and wife were members of the German Reformed Church. Their children who are living are as follows: John, Adam, George, Jacob, Anna, Elizabeth and Samuel W. Abraham and Daniel are deceased. Samuel W. Gerster was educated in Ohio and Hickory County, Mo., and since early boyhood has been engaged in farm labor, and, since gaining his majority, has followed carpentering in connection with this work. After the father's death the six sons continued housekeeping with their mother and little sister, but on March 8, 1885, Abraham died at the age of twenty-six years. Following this the other five carried on the work until January 15, 1888, when Jacob was married, and then removed to St. Clair County, Mo., where the five brothers are now jointly conducting a successful agricultural business, under the supervision of S. W. Gerster, in connection with the home farm. Since his father's death, he being the eldest son, he has managed the business affairs of the family, and is industrious and enterprising, and has taken great interest in the development of the mineral wealth of the county. In politics he and his brothers are Democrats. -- History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri, 1889, pages 589 & 590



GILBERT, Washington Lee
 Washington Lee Gilbert, a native of Lincoln County, Kentucky, was born December 14, 1837, being the son of John C. Gilbert, a stone mason by occupation, who was born in Amherst County, Virginia, in 1784. When eighteen years of age, or in 1802, he removed to Lincoln County, Kentucky, where he was married February 14, 1835, to Elizabeth Huston, of that county. They had four children, two of whom are living: Sarah A. and Washington L. Walter H., who was born February 3, 1836, died September 9, 1862, having been murdered while plowing, and William A., born December 10, 1839, died October 8, 1857. Mrs. Gilbert died July 22, 1846. In March, 1854, Mr. G. removed to Johnson County, Missouri, and that year entered 120 acres of land, subsequently locating 120 acres more, with land warrants granted him for service in the war of 1812. He died September 10, 1868, after a residence of fourteen years in Johnson County. The subject of this sketch was married May 26, 1861, to Miss Elizabeth J. Helms, and they have been blessed with six children: Ann E., born May 3, 1862, (wife of Thomas L. Harris, of Johnson County); Patsey G., born April 24, 1866; John H., born July 1, 1867; Clay W., born November 23, 1868; Susan B., born October, 5, 1870, and Sally L., born May 9, 1872. August 1, 1862, Mr. Gilbert enlisted as a private in Co. D, Sixteenth Missouri infantry, second brigade, under Captain David Baker for three years, his company surrendering about that time at Shreveport, Louisiana. He reached home in June, 1865, resumed agricultural pursuits, and remained upon a portion of the homestead until March 5, 1881, when selling the property, he came to this county, settling in Polk Township, where he has since been engaged in farming and stock raising. Mrs. Gilbert and her eldest daughter are connected with the Christian Church, of Bear Creek. He is a Democrat. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GILBREATH, Simeon
Hudson Township - Simeon Gilbreath. Among the substantial farmers and stock feeders of Bates County, is the subject of this sketch. He is a native of Illionis, and was born in Washington County, November 5, 1820. John Gilbreath, his father, originally from North Carolina, was born in Buncombe County, while his mother (formerly Patsy Saddler) was born in Missouri. The former moved to Illinois when a young man in 1804, and was among the pioneers of the state. Simeon spent his youth in his native county on a farm. He came to Missouri in 1841, and located first in Dade County with his parents, but in one year moved to Bates County, and was one of the first settlers of this locality. He entered the land and improved his present farm, and ten years after coming to the state he was married, in March, 1851, to Miss Margaret Huffman, a daughter of Yost Huffman. She was born in Warren County, Illinois. Since his marriage Mr. Gilbreath has resided on his farm. He has 1,325 acres of land, with about 700 acres fenced and 100 in tame meadow. This place is in a good state of cultivation, and upon it are three fair houses. His residence is a large frame building, and his bearing orchard of apple, peaches, cherries, pears and plums, contains 400 trees, and is located in section 10. He is extensively engaged in raising and feeding stock for the market. Mr. and Mrs. Gilbreath have six children: John A., attorney at Appleton City; Charles W., Edward C., Rex E., Clay W. and Octavia May. Mr. G. served in the militia in Captain Newberry's cavalry company one year during the war. He is one of the largest farmers and taxpayers of Hudson Township. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)



GILLSON, Daniel
Captain Daniel Gillson, section 10, owes his nativity to Marion County, Ohio, where he was born July 26, 1834. His parents were D. and Elizabeth (Stilwell) Gillson, natives of Orange County, New York. The family removed to Ohio in about 1816, and were among the pioneer settlers of Delaware County, but shortly after went to Marion County. Daniel grew to manhood on his father's farm, and received a good education at the public schools, supplemented with a course at a commercial college. After completing his studies he was engaged in the mercantile business about four years. In 1856 he came west and traveled through a number of the western states. He enlisted in August, 1862, in Company D, 121st Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served till discharged, in June 1865. He enlisted as a private and filled the position of sergeant and second and first lieutenant, and afterward was promoted to captain. He participated in some fifteen important engagements. among which were Perryville, Chickamaugua, Atlanta, Jonesborough, etc. He was taken prisoner at Perryville and held as such for four months, when he was paroled. After the close of the war Mr. Gillson returned to Ohio and resided two years in Clinton County. He came to St. Clair County, Missouri, in 1868 and farmed about two years, and in 1870 he was occupied in conducting a flouring mill at Osceola, continuing it for two years. hi 1873 he removed to Appleton City and carried on the mercantile business about five years, when he sold out and removed to his present farm in the spring of 1878. He has 143 acres in cultivation and well improved. He devotes some attention to the breeding and raising of thoroughbred and high graded cattle and Berkshire hogs. Mr. Gillson was married in Lewisburg, Ohio, March 18, 1866, to Miss Emma A. Martin, a daughter of John Martin. They have one daughter, Millie M. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GORDON, John Parks
 John Parks Gordon was born in St. Louis, Missouri, December 16, 1837, and was the son of Preston Gordon, who was born and raised in Mercer County, Kentucky, and who settled in St. Louis when it was a village. After living there for about twenty-five years, he came to St. Clair County in 1855, where he purchased 1,000 acres of land. He died in 1875. The mother of John, formerly Julia Ann Baker, was born in St. Louis County, Missouri, and died December 7, 1861. They had eight children of whom the subject of this sketch is the eldest. He worked on his father's farm, making the raising of stock a leading feature, and very soon grew into prominence as a stock dealer. In 1861 he entered in the Missouri State Guards for six months, then entered the regular service, and served in the trans Mississippi district. He was engaged in many hard battles, and in a skirmish in Cedar County he received a severe wound, the ball entering near his left shoulder, passing through his body and coming out at his right hip. After his recovery in nine months he joined the regiment with which he remained until the close of the war in 1865. In 1868 he went to Texas and engaged in raising cotton and farming. Returning in 1876 he was elected sheriff and was re-elected in 1880, faithfully discharging the duties of this position for two terms. In 1882 he was elected county collector. Mr. Gordon married in 1872 Mary Ann Glass Dickson, daughter of John M. Dickson, of Grayson County, Texas. She died in 1876. He married for his second wife Miss Ida Patterson in 1881. She is the daughter of William N. Patterson. They have one child, William Henry. Politically he is a Greenbacker, and religiously a Baptist, and he belongs to the I.O.O.F. fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GORE, James D.
 James D. Gore, farmer and stock raiser, section 19, owes his nativity to Macoupin County, Illinois, where he was born March 25, 1853, being the son of Michael and Mouen (Maxwell) Gore. James passed his boyhood on his father's farm and received a fair education at the public schools. He was married in his native county, April 3, 1873, to Miss Margaret New, a daughter of Charles New. She was born in Scott County, Illinois. They have one daughter, Lily May, who was born May 8, 1879. Mr. Gore farmed in Illinois until the fall of 1881 when he removed to Missouri, locating where he now resides. He has a farm of seventy acres, all in cultivation. Mrs. Gore is a member of the Baptist Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883


 
GORE, Michael
 Michael Gore, section 18, was born in Trigg County, Kentucky, April 28, 1829. His father, M. Gore, was a native of Virginia, and his mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Mitchell, was a Kentuckian by birth. Michael spent his youth on a farm in Trigg County and in 1849 he removed to Illinois and located in Macoupin County, where he purchased land and engaged in farming and stock raising. In 1881 he came to Missouri and settled where he now resides. He owns 170 acres of land well improved. Mr. Gore held several local offices during his residence in Illinois. He was commissioner of highways and bridges for three years in Macoupin County and was then re-elected. He was married while there, October 1, 1849, to Miss Mouen Maxwell, a daughter of Ered Maxwell. She was born in Sangamon County, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Gore have four children: Eliza (wife of John Allen), James, E. V. and Ezra A. He and his wife are members of the United Baptist Church, and he belongs to the Masonic fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GRACY, S. M.
 S. M. Gracy, farmer, section 17, was born in Ross County, Ohio, October 17, 1844. His parents were Samuel and Rachel (Snively) Gracy, the former a native of Ireland and the latter of Pennsylvania. When S. M was five years old they moved to Wells County, Indiana, where he grew to manhood and received his education. Mr. G. was employed in farming and school teaching in Indiana until 1872, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. Here he has since followed teaching and farming. His farm now contains 100 acres. In 1875 he was elected a justice of the peace, and has since held that position. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Grange. March 30, 1871, he was married to Miss Mary Scoffter, of Indiana. They have four children: Jennie, Louisa, Ettie and Charles. They have lost two: Alfred and Harriet. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

GRAHAM, Enoch Webster
Enoch Webster Graham (II) was born 11th of August, 1857,in W. VA. the 7th of 8 children to Enoch Webster Graham (I), and Sarah (Judy) Graham, moving to St. Clair Co. before the Civil War. His mother died at the early age of 37, in 1861. His father died a couple years later at the age of 44, 1863, near Tiffin, MO. He was raised by the prominent, John Dawson and his 3rd wife, Mary Ann Josephine (George) Dawson in St.Clair County, MO. At the age of 22, E. W. (II) united with Clara Sophia Ewing on the 3rd of July, 1879, in Humansville, MO., at the home of her grandfather, John W. Hapgood (witness), and W.B.B. George (witness). Minister, T.J. Akin. She was born 12th of Nov. 1860, in Cherryvale, IL, the oldest of 4 children, to Jesse Ewing and Sarah Sophia (Hapgood) Ewing.
To this union were born 11 children: *Minnie Graham m. 1st *B. Bridges, 2nd W. Glazebrook; Edgar Graham m.  *V. Loftin; Ethel Graham m. F. Jessee; Frank Graham m. O. King; Maude Graham m. B. Graham; *Mary Zeddie Graham m. N. Hill; *Florence Graham died as an infant; Edna Graham m. C. Feaster; *Hazel Graham m. 1st H. Andrews, 2nd H. Mueller; *Homer Graham m.  1st *L. Brown, Copenhaver, 2nd Graham; *Virginia Graham m. 1st F. Smith, 2nd * J. Long. In 1896, the Graham Homestead was built in Vista, MO. near the railrod tracks. E.W. Graham worked for "Uncle Johnnie" Dawson in his grocery in Osceola and later managed the general store for Dave Daughat at Vista for a number of years, before devoting all of his time to farming hay. E.W. was a devout member of the Baptist Church. Baptized by the Rev. J. N. Freeman at the Macedonia Church. Later he was a charter member of the Vista Baptist Church and ordained a deacon. The house was always full of children, grandchildren, love, laughter, and many times sorrow, losing 5 children before them: Florence, Edgar, Virginia, Frank and Edna. Lots, and lots of memories still live on, and are passed to their great, great, great, grandchildren. *Enoch and Clara, lived to celebrate their 65th wedding anniversary. After 16 months of illness he passed on, April 7, 1945, at 87 years of age. *Clara followed a little over a year later, July 5, 1946, at 85 years of age. (* Buried at Macedonia Cemetary, Vista, St. Clair County, MO.) -- Submitted by Cindy Drinkard, January 2007



GRAHAM, George
 George Graham, section 1, a native of Fayette County, Pennsylvania, was born in October, 1822, his parents being Thomas and Mary (Alexander) Graham. George grew to manhood in Pennsylvania on a farm, and he married Miss Maria Moore, also of Pennsylvania. Some four years after this he removed to Kentucky and from there to Ohio, locating in Noble County where he resided until 1862. Then he went to Coles County, Illinois, and farmed about fourteen years. In March, 1876, he located in St. Clair County, Missouri. Mrs. Graham died January 18, 1881, leaving three children: Susanna (wife of L. L. Shafner), J. G., and T. P. who was married December 15, 1881, to Miss L. B. Leonard, and they have one child, Anna May. Mr. Graham lost two sons, one W. M. died in 1869 at the age of twenty-five years, and G. W. died in childhood. Mr. G. is a member of the Presbyterian Church and of the Masonic fraternity. J. G. Graham, the oldest son of the subject of this sketch, now owns the home farm which consists of 220 acres under good cultivation and improvement. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GRANTLEY, Harry M.
 Harry M. Grantley, attorney and notary public, a leading and enterprising man of Appleton City, was born at Oxford, England, July 10, 1850, and is the seventh of ten children of an old established English family. At the age of seventeen years he came to New York, where he remained until 1871, when, moving further west, he located at Bloomington, Illinois. October 2, 1872, he was united in marriage to Miss Susan Dimmitt, daughter of William Dimmitt, a prominent citizen of Bloomington. In the spring of 1874, Mr. Grantley came to Missouri and located at Butler where he lived a short time, then choosing Appleton City as a more desirable point to enter into the practice of his profession. He was soon after admitted to the bar of St. Clair County and has since been engaged in the practice of law. He has shown a commendable public spiritedness in promoting the interests of the town, and in the spring of 1881 erected, at a cost of $17,000, the Durley Opera House. He is identified with the I.O.O.F. and is a Knight Templar. Mr. Grantley and wife have five children: Edith M., Alice S., Arthur W., Harry W. and Grace E. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GREEN, James W. & John C.
 James W. and John C. Green are sons of Elziphaniah Green, who was born in Bath County, Kentucky, December 15, 1815. In 1840, while in Nicholas County, he met Miss Sarah I. Bell, to whom he was united in marriage the following spring. They had a family of ten children, James being the oldest and John C. the sixth child. The former was born in Nicholas County in 1842, and in 1858 accompanied his parents to Missouri, they settling in Cooper County. In 1877 J. W. Green was married to Miss Martha A. Hatfield, and to them were born three children: John W., Peter E. and Joseph Francis. The oldest son is dead. John C. Green was born in 1858, and continued to reside with the family on the old homestead until 1876, when he married Miss Lucy J. Wyatt, daughter of George Wyatt. They have had two children, Elizabeth A. and Ella S. These brothers now own and reside upon the land formerly occupied by their father, consisting of 254 acres, in section 3. They are farmers possessed with a most energetic will. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GREEN, Nicholas B.
 Nicholas B. Green was born in Lafayette County, Missouri, March 29, 1838, and was a son of Joseph and Jane G. Green, natives of Tennessee. In 1851 his parents moved to St. Clair County, Missouri. He was reared upon his father's farm and received an education in the common schools of Missouri. Mr. G. is now one of the leading farmers in his township and owns a farm containing 605 acres, well improved. Two hundred acres are under fence and in a high state of cultivation. He is at present feeding eighty-two head of cattle. He received a wound at the battle of Lone Jack during the war. May 2, 1861, Mr. Green was married to Miss Elizabeth Browning, a native of Virginia. They have six children: Susan, Permela, Isabelle, Joseph H., Robert L., and Bessie. They have lost five children. He is a member of the Grange. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

GREEN, Nicholas Benton
The Benton Green Farm. Roy Smith, a fourth generation owner of the Benton Green farm located on Highway E midway between Roscoe and Monegaw Springs, recently registered 125 acres of the original 605 acres in the Bicentennial Farm recognition. Historically the land was homesteaded in 1838 by Mr. Huffman, a ferry boat operator on the Osage River at Roscoe, Missouri. The small settlement was then located on the bluff of the river. In 1851 Joseph Henry Green purchased the land for a dollar and a half an acre. He brought his wife Jane and their ten children from Lafayette County where he had operated a store. He came to the area seeking the medicinal qualities of the sulpher water found in Monegaw springs and in Mud Lake Springs located on his own farm. A state-county receipt written on a piece of tablet paper shows Mr. Green paid two dollars in taxes in 1851. A bill of sale lists various yard goods purchased by Jane Green at the Weidemeyer General Store in Roscoe. An order for a marble tomb stone carved with an open Bible and a Scripture verse and embellished with roses and lilies cost 34 dollars. It was delivered by Benwell’s Marble Works in Boonville, Missouri, for Joseph Green when he died in 1855 at age 60. A massive walnut four-poster Cannon Ball bed with four by four railings pegged to fasten the rope underpinnings is a treasured family heirloom. It was made in Tennessee and brought to Missouri when the family migrated in the early 1800s. Joseph’s youngest son, Nicholas Benton Green born in 1838, was 13 when he came to St. Clair County. He lived on the family farm until his death in 1913. He and his wife Elizabeth had 11 children. Their youngest daughter, Bessie, married to Frank Smith, lived on the farm until her death in 1940. In 1861 young Benton sat on a rail fence and watched the Bushwackers steal and ride away with all his horses leaving him a broken down mule. They also took his boots. At another time one of his neighbors concealed himself among the lily pads growing in Mud Lake while the Bushwackers searched for him. Later Benton joined the Confederate Army and fought in the Battle of Lone Jack where he was severely wounded. His wife Elizabeth, along with a neighbor woman whose husband had also been wounded, traveled in a covered wagon to the battlefield where they stayed six weeks and nursed their husbands back to health and then brought them home. The muzzle-loader gun carried by Benton Green during the war is another prized family possession. Made in 1849 and bearing the government stamp, the gun is in excellent condition. In 1872 Benton built the present two-story house near the site of his parents’ log cabin. Receipts for 1876 show he paid $29.08 for state and county taxes and he gave one horse valued at $11.00 in payment for his township taxes. The History of St. Clair County says, “Nicholas Benton Green is one of the leading farmers in his township feeding 82 head of cattle on a well-improved farm in a state of high cultivation.” Trapping wild turkeys was a resourceful sideline. A covered rail pen built around a hole filled with shelled corn spelled the doom of the turkeys as they lowered their heads and ate their way into the trap. The birds were hauled to Sedalia twice a year and traded for flour, lumber, boots, square nails, and other necessities. Benton Green Cemetery, located on the farm, dates from 1854 when James Carlyle, a son-in-law of Joseph Green, was buried there. He was struck by lightening.  A stone marks the grave of Joseph H. Green, who died October 16, 1855. His was the second grave in the Benton Green Cemetery. Benton Green School, adjoining the Green farm, was located on land donated by Theodoric Snuffer, remembered for his role in the great battle of the Younger outlaws. He declined the honor of having the school named for him. In time it became known as the Benton Green School. The Greens knew the James and Younger boys who often visited in the area. Their motto – “Rob the rich and give to the poor” – was once demonstrated when Benton’s wife found a twenty dollar gold piece under the pillow that a Younger guest had slept on. After the death of Bessie Smith, the homestead passed to her only son Roy. He and his wife Wretha Pasley Smith kept the farm, living there part of the time, until their daughter Dorsha and her husband Paul Hooper moved there in 1961. The home of the Roy Smiths of near Roscoe was built in 1872 and, except for the addition of other rooms, remains as it was originally. The fireplace was installed when the house was built and is still in use. The Hoopers have three sons, Greg, Danny and Alan, making six generations who have lived on the Benton Green farm since 1851. -- St. Clair County Courier, 29 April 1976



GRIFFITH, Wesley
 Wesley Griffith, section 1, a prominent farmer and stock man of this county, was born in Macon County, Illinois, January 22, 1841. His father, B. Griffith, was a native of Ross County, Pennsylvania, and his mother, formerly Leah Deafenbaugh, of Hawkins County, same state. The former was one of the pioneer settlers of Macon County, Illinois. In 1851 he removed to DeWitt County, where he is now a leading farmer and stock raiser. Wesley spent his youth on his father's farm, enjoying good common school advantages. He came to Missouri in 1869 and located in St. Clair County, settling on the farm where he now resides. He has 860 acres of land, with 320 in cultivation. He makes a specialty of feeding cattle and feeds on an average three car loads of steers and about fifty hogs annually. Mr. Griffith was married in Henry County February 18, 1876, to Miss Sarah E. Kirk, a daughter of James A. Kirk. She came originally from Rowan County, Kentucky. They have two children, Maud M. and Ida. They lost one child in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Griffith are members of the Christian Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



GUERRANT, Robert F.
 Robert F. Guerrant, farmer and stock raiser, is a son of Stephen and Sallie (Harris) Guerrant, both natives of Virginia (the former of French descent) and was born in Buckingham County, Virginia, February 16, 1826. He was there reared and educated, and in 1849 he moved to Saline County, Missouri, and in 1878 came to St. Clair County. He has followed the occupation of farming during life and his farm now contains 176 acres, (in which is located the best residence in Tabor Township. His other improvements are also above the average of those in the county. Mr. Guerrant is one of the stock holders in the First National Bank of Appleton City. He has been twice married. First March 17, 1853, to Miss Zerrilda Hill, of Saline County, who died November 30, 1874, leaving a family of five children: Walter, L.; William T., Malinda A., Samuel and Ralph. Miss Susan M. Hudgen, of Buckingham County, Virginia, became his second wife, their marriage occurring February 20, 1878. By this union they have one child, Albert C. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

 


HOME