St. Clair County Missouri
Biographies

M

MAJORS, Michael
Michael Majors, farmer, section 14, is a grandson of John Majors, a native of Maryland, and son of Elisha Majors, who was born in Kentucky, and married Miss Catherine Hufaker, also of that state, she being a daughter of Christopher Hufaker. The subject of this sketch was born in Wayne County, Kentucky, July 18, 1824. In the fall of 1837, his parents moved to Clay County, Missouri, where he grew to manhood on a farm. He has made farming his principal occupation during life, yet has worked some at various trades. He is a natural mechanic, and was the architect of the buildings on his farm, which are above the average. His landed estate in this county consists of 200 acres. Mr. M. had but limited advantages to obtain an education in youth, but has improved his time in reading and has taken great interest in educational matters. During the late war he served in Gen. Joe Shelby's command for four months. In 1849, (under the gold excitement) he went to California, where he was engaged in mining and dealing in stock till the spring of 1851. He has been a citizen of St. Clair County since 1871. He was married March 3, 1852, to Miss Permeter Crowley. She was born in Clay County, Missouri, February 23, 1833. Her father, Samuel Crowley, was a native of Virginia, and her mother, Nancy (Lane) Crowley, of Kentucky. They have six children: Nancy C., Elisha W. R., Henry B., Martha A., Perry L. E. and George S. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MALLORY, W. W.
W. W. Mallory was born in Monroe County, Missouri, May 20, 1849, and was a son of J. R. and Lucecia (Wilson) Mallory, natives of Kentucky. The subject of this sketch spent his youth in his native county, where he was afterward engaged in farming until 1871, then moving to Hickory County. He has been occupied in teaching in different parts of St. Clair County for nine years. He owns a farm of eighty acres of land, well improved, in section 20. Mr. M. is a member of the Christian Church, and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. July 25, 1877, he was married to Miss Florence Dolly, of Missouri. They have two children, Erastus E. and Maggie. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MANNERING, J. A.
J. A. Mannering, farmer and stock raiser, section 5, was born in Indianapolis, Indiana, March 12, 1839, and was the son of John and Julia A. (Garwood) Mannering, the former a native of Delaware and the latter of Ohio. When J. A. was about eight years old, his parents moved to South Bend, where they remained one year, going thence to Hancock County, Illinois. There our subject grew to manhood and received his education. He followed farming and stock raising in Iowa from 1856 to 1866,when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. He now owns a farm of 200 acres, making one of the best improved farms in the township. Mr. M. has held the office of township assessor. He is a member of the Christian Church. February 11, 1864, he married Miss Sussa P. Evans, a native of Illinois. They have seven children: Zella O., J. Frank, William H., Maggie, Christina, Samuel E., and James A. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MARKEY, George
George Markey, real estate, loan, and insurance agent, is a native of Tuscarawas County, Ohio, and was born December 6, 1847. His father, James Markey, was born in Ohio about the year 1811, and his mother, formerly Sarah E. Norris, was also a native of the same state. When George was three years old, the family removed to Noble County, Ohio, where he was reared and received a common school education. In February, 1864. he enlisted in Company C, Twenty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and served till mustered out August 7, 1865. Returning to Ohio, he settled in Monroe County, and attended school for eighteen months. He then entered the employ of a prominent stock dealer, with whom he remained till the spring of 1870, when he came to Pettis County, Missouri, and lived there until the fall of 1873. He was engaged in the grocery business at Dresden, Missouri, until May, 1874, and for the following two years he sold goods at Ridge Prairie, Saline County. Thence in November, 1876, he went to Hughsville, Pettis County, Missouri, where he was occupied in trade till December, 1877. He then came to Appleton City and in the spring of 1878, he engaged in his present business. Mr. M. was married July 4, 1868, to Miss Mary J. Hartline, a native of Ohio. They had six children: Etta S., Beulah J., George W., Gracie B., Mary D., William T. J. His wife's death occurred January 21, 1883. He is a member of the I.O.O.F., and also of the A.O.U.W. and belongs to the M. E. Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MARQUIS, A. C.
A. C. Marquis, M.D., is a native of Darke County, Ohio, and was born September 7, 1832, his parents being James and Mary (Casner) Marquis, Virginians by birth. The former died in Cedar County, Missouri, March 31, 1881. A. C. was the second of a family of eleven children. When he was about three and a half years old the family removed to Jay County, Indiana, where he grew to manhood, there receiving his education. At the age of twenty-one years he began the study of medicine with his father, who was an old and experienced physician. In 1855 he graduated from the Miami Medical College. Locating in Adams County, Indiana, he practiced for a few months, but his health being poor, he traveled for about one year in Virginia. He then returned to Indiana and engaged with his father in practicing. In 1858 he came to Missouri, where he was occupied in different occupations until 1860, when he settled in Cedar County, Missouri. In 1861 he was appointed post physician and in 1863 he was appointed assistant surgeon at Clinton. In 1863 he located one mile from Osceola, where he practiced until 1872, when he moved to Roscoe. Here he has since resided. The doctor is a large land owner, his landed estate containing over 700 acres. He is a member of the Christian Church and is connected with the I.O.O.F. fraternity. He has been twice married, first to Miss Sarah E. Westfall, of Ohio, December 22, 1863. She died October 18, 1873, leaving four children: James, Adeniga, Mary and Thomas. He was afterwards married to Miss Adosa Eller, of Indiana, June 30, 1871. They have four children: Elson, Maude, Claud and Myrtle. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MARTIN, William O.
William O. Martin, a son of one of the oldest inhabitants of St. Clair County and a pioneer of great ability, was born in Henry County, Virginia, early in the spring of 1837. Samuel H. Martin, his father, a Virginian by birth, was born February 20, 1813, and in 1834 was married to Miss Dorothy B. Allen, of Henry County, that state, and a daughter of William Allen. She was born June 4, 1817, and at this time is still living though in feeble health. In 1837, Samuel Martin, together with his family, removed to Missouri, and upon looking around for a location finally settled in Collins Township, St. Clair County. Many were the hardships which they endured, and in the erection of a cabin, Mrs. M. kept off the savages while her husband built the structure. In the spring of 1839 a son, John, was born, and finally the family numbered nine children: Joseph H., twins (not named), Jane E. and Letha. After living upon Brush Creek one year Mr. M. moved to the place now occupied by his widow, and while living entered here over 1,000 acres of land. William O. Martin was married January 21, 1866, to Miss Elizabeth Thompson, a daughter of Enos and Elizabeth Thompson. They had five children: Letha, Remus, William R., Alice F. and an infant. Of these two only are living. Mr. M. owns 283 acres of excellent land in Doyal Township but is now living with his mother and conducting the affairs of her estate. His wife is deceased. During the late war he served in the militia. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and belongs to lodge No. 310 at Humansville, Polk County. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MASTERSON, A.S. & J.R.
A.S. and J.R. Masterson are sons of George W. and Eliza Masterson, who were natives of Kentucky. The two sons were born in Mason County, Kentucky, A. S. September 25, 1841, and J. R. on August 20, 1843. They were reared and educated in Platte County, Missouri, where their mother now resides and where their father died. In 1862 A. S. Masterson enlisted in the Confederate service in which he served till the close of the war. After this he was engaged in various occupations in Texas till 1868, when he returned to Platte County, where he was engaged in farming till 1871. Then he came to St. Clair County. April 19, 1873, he was married to Miss Emma F. Wilson, a native of Illinois. They have four children: Cora M., Zulema F., Robert R. and George E.J.R. Masterson resided in Platte County, Missouri, till 1869, except during 1863-4, when he was freighting on the plains. In 1869 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he has since been occupied in farming. In I875 he was in Arkansas dealing in stock. Mr. M. was married November 30, 1873, to Miss M.F. Barnett, a native of Missouri. They have one child, George W.A.S. and J.R. Masterson are both members of the I.O.O.F. fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

MCCORMACK, James
Deepwater Township - James McCormack, section 17, was born in Pike County, Missouri, February 7, 1842. James McCormack, his father, and also his mother were natives of Virginia, where they were raised and married. They moved to Missouri in 1839 and were among the earliest settlers of Pike County. The subject of this sketch spent his youth on a farm and was educated in the common schools of Pike County. He was married there, December 17, 1868, to Miss Fannie H. Caverley, who was also born in Pike County, and a daughter of Philip and Nancy Caverley. After this event Mr. McCormack farmed in that vicinity for about seven years, and in the fall of 1874 he sold out and in the spring of 1875 moved to St. Clair County. Here he tilled the soil for four years, and in the spring of 1880 he came to Bates County and bought his present place, where he has 130 acres of land, all in fair cultivation, with an excellent bearing orchard. Mr. and Mrs. McCormack have two children, James William and Eddie Lee. Mr. McC. served in the Confederate Army during the war of the rebellion. He enlisted in September, 1861, in Colonel Brace's cavalry and served until the close of the war, participating in the fight at Lexington, Missouri; Prairie Grove and Helena, Arkansas; Pleasant Hill, Louisiana, and a number of other important engagements. He and his wife are members of the M.E. Church South. -- History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883



McILHENNY, Bev. H.
Bev. H. McIlhenny, was born in Bath County, Kentucky, July 2, 1828, and is the son of John C. McIlhenny, of Charleston, South Carolina, whose father, James McIlhenny, was born in Edinburgh. Scotland, and was a graduate of the university there. He left Edinburgh on account of his republican principles, and came to the United States in 1774, settling in South Carolina. He enlisted in the war of the Revolution and was with General Marion for three years. was subsequently promoted to colonel, and then placed on the staff of Washington. After the close of the war he returned to South Carolina and engaged in farming. In 1815 he moved to Kentucky, and died there in 1840. John McIlhenny married Mary Young, of Virginia. Her mother, formerly Mary Brice, came originally from Scotland. Mr. McIl's paternal grandmother was also born in Scotland, and was a sister of John C. Calhoun. They had twelve children, the subject of this sketch being the ninth. His father came to Jackson County, Missouri, in 1833, and returned to Kentucky in 1840, where he died. Bev. H. went back to Kentucky in 1845. In 1847 he enlisted in the Mexican war, and was interpreter to General Thomas Marshall. He received an honorable discharge and returned to Kentucky, and attended an academy for two years. Then he engaged in merchandising until 1853. In 1854, he returned to Missouri and settled in Cass County and farmed for three years. He then clerked in a store in Harrisonville. In 1858 he was elected justice of the peace and served until 1861, when he removed to Boonville and was again elected justice of the peace, holding this position until 1866. Going to Sedalia he engaged in clerking and remained there until 1870. He came thence to Roscoe, and in 1871 to Osceola. He has served as justice of the peace in this city two or three terms. Mr. McIlhenny, married Miss Mary Kincaid in 1853 in Nicholas County, Kentucky. She was the daughter of Colonel Samuel B. Kincaid, of Kentucky. who settled in Cass County in 1854. They have eight children: Sarah A. (Mrs. George Monroe); Nancy B. (Mrs. Thomas Gordon). John Calhoun, Samuel B., Bev. H., Mattie A.. Nellie Lee, and Addie (twins). -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



McKINLEY, James Harvey
James Harvey McKinley, farmer and stock raiser, is the owner of 100 acres of land on section 16. He was born in Russell County, Kentucky, in 1834, and was the son of Solomon McKinley, who was originally from Kentucky. His grandfather, Michael McKinley, together with a younger brother, secreted themselves, when boys, in a vessel and left for America, unknown to their parents. After arriving in this country, in due time he joined the army, and was with Washington through the revolution. In 1812 he was with General Jackson at New Orleans, and was killed on the celebrated 8th of January. James' mother, formerly Ann Cane, was a daughter of Charles Cane, of Pennsylvania. Her grandfather was also in the revolution. They raised nine children, of whom James H. was the fifth. He learned the carpenter's trade in youth, and in 1853 came to Missouri and settled in St. Clair County, near where he now lives. He married Miss Sarah C. Todd in 1857. She was the daughter of Daniel P. Todd, of Kentucky. They have eight children: William Filmore, James Daniel, Thomas Price, Rhoda Jane, Samuel Tilden, Peter, Sarah Catharine and Edna. Three died in infancy. Politically he is a Democrat, and he has been a member of the Baptist Church for thirty years. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

McMAHAN, Nicholas W.
Biographies, Lamine Township - Nicholas W. McMahan, farmer, section 20. Mr. McMahan second son of Samuel W. and Harriet (Riddle) McMahan, was born in Lamine township, January 24th, 1840, and was reared on the farm, receiving a practical education in the neighborhood schools in youth. After he grew up he was married December 10th, 1868, to Miss Mary E. Kincheloe, daughter of Mrs. Betsey Kincheloe, whose husband had some time before deceased. Mrs. McMahan was born in Lamine township, March 26th, 1841. Mr. McMahan followed farming with his father on the family homestead during the war, and has since given his attention mainly to that occupation, although for several years be followed, the plasterer's trade, which he had previously learned. He located on his present farm about seven years ago - a neat place of nearly a quarter section of land - on which he grows grain, principally corn, and raises some stock. Mr. and Mrs. McMahan have but one child, a daughter, Roena, born February 10th, 1871. She is taking an advanced course of study in school at Arrow Rock, and gives promise of becoming a lady of rare graces of mind and person. Her parents are taking a deep interest in her education, and purpose giving her all the advantages the best schools afford, both in the course of a general education and in music. Mr. McMahan and family are members of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. -- 1883 History of Howard and Cooper Counties, MO

McMAHAN, Thomas & Jesse
Biographies, Lamine Township. Thomas M. and Jesse T. McMahan, farmers. The biography of the McMahan family begins with the very alphabet, so to speak, of the history of Cooper county. The founders of the family in this county came to this section of the state away back in 1811, when the silence of the forests and the solitudes of the trackless prairies had but little more than been broken by the voice of white men, and when all nature was in its wild and primitive state. Three brothers came together from Kentucky, James, Thomas and Samuel McMahan, and settled at first in Loutre island, now a part of Montgomery county, but they were driven from there by the innumerable thousands of rattle and copperhead snakes that came across the river and took up their abode on the island. The McMahan brothers then crossed the river into Cooper county, where they lived until their deaths, brave-hearted, noble-souled pioneers, worthy to have been the founders of civilization in any country, and where their descendants still live themselves, a credit to their pioneer forefathers. The name of William McMahan deserves mention also with the other founders of the family in the county. He was here when the three brothers crossed the river, and settled in Cooper. Their neighbors at that time were David Jones, Stephen Turley, William Reed, James Anderson and William, or Bill Anderson, as he was familiarly called. They built Fort Mahan, in which they all lived, more or less, for several year, the Indians being often in a state of open hostility. James, Thomas and Samuel McMahan all married and reared families, the first two marrying sisters, daughters of David McGee, another pioneer settler; Samuel, however, married in Madison county, Kentucky, before coming to thin state. His wife's maiden name was Miss Sarah Clark. Some time after the erection of their fort they went to Boone's Lick, Howard county, to make salt, as there was no other means of supplying themselves with that necessity. Returning then to Howard county they resumed the work of opening up and improving their farms, and James and Thomas became successful farmers and prominent, influential citizens of the county. Samuel was succeeding quite as well in life, but while on his way to Boonville, to pay for a tract of land he pre-empted, he was killed by the Indians. This tract of land, where he was then opening and improving his farm, is the same tract on which his son Thomas, one of the subjects of this sketch, now resides. Thomas was then eight years of age, and of the family of children be was the second; William was his eldest brother, Samuel W., John W. and Jesse were the younger ones. Some years after their father's death their mother became the wife of Thomas Smith, an early settler. He died about 1840, leaving two daughters and a son by this union Malinda and Emily, and Thomas, now Captain Smith, of this county. She survived until about six years ago, dying at the advanced age of nearly eighty-nine years. For many years prior to her death she had lived with her son Thomas, in the old family homestead. Thomas M. was born before his. parents left Madison county, Kentucky, on the 15th of June, 1805; he is, therefore, now eight years past the allotted age of three-score and ten, and is still comparatively active and vigorous in mind and body. He was married March 25, 1830, to Miss Lucy Riddle, a daughter of an early settler of the county, from Maryland, and has continued to live on the family homestead on which his father settled in 1813, from that time to this. He and his good wife lived together in comfort and happiness for nearly fifty years, and were blessed with a family of six children; but at last she was taken from him by death, about eight years ago. Three of his children, also, sleep the sleep that knows no waking until the dawn of eternal day. Of those living, Samuel lives in Arrow Rock, and Robert and Benjamin are residents of the county; Margaret is the wife of Ed. Brown. Of the dead: Sallie became the wife of Wm. Harris, and Susan was the wife of Charles Sites. Mr. McMahan has been an industrious farmer for over half a century, and has lived without reproach a useful and upright life. Jesse T. McMahan, the second subject of this sketch, is a grandson of Samuel, the father of Thomas M., and a son of Samuel W., the eldest of the grandfather's family of children. Jesse's father, Samuel W., was born in Kentucky, before his parents came to this state, and some time after their emigration here, was married to Miss Harriett Riddle. Of this union nine children were reared, Jesse T. being the sixth, as follows Samuel L., Wm. A., Jas. E., Nicholas W., Erasmus D., Jesse T., Benjamin M., Edmonia, present wife of W. A. Huff, and Lucy, now the wife of E. S. Herndon, of Saline county. The sons are all residents of Saline township. The father, who was a successful farmer and a highly esteemed citizen of the county, died at an advanced age in 1876. The mother, however, is still living and makes her home with her son Jesse T. Jesse T. McMahan was born on the farm where be now lives, January 18, 1853, and, in common with the other children, received an ordinary, practical education in youth. After he grew up, farming has constituted his life occupation, and in the prosecution of his farm interests he shows much energy and enterprise. The farm contains over half a section of good land, and be gives his attention to both grain growing and stock raisins. Still a young man, with his opportunities and qualifications, he will doubtless prove a valuable and useful farmer and citizen of the county. -- 1883 History of Howard and Cooper Counties, MO

McMAHAN, William E.
William E. McMahan -- William E. McMahan, one of the best known farmers of LaMine Township, is a descendant of one of the earliest pioneers of Cooper County, his great-grandfather, Samuel McMahan, who was slain by Indians in the vicinity of Boonville, having been one of the first settlers in this section of Missouri. The McMahans drove from Kentucky at the very beginning of organized settlement hereabout and settled in what is now LaMine Township. It was while returning from Boonville one day, after having driven some cattle to that settlement, that Samuel McMahan was killed by hostile Indians. One of the sons of this pioneer was Samuel Woodson McMahan, who became one of the largest landholders of Cooper County, owner of a tract of 1000 acres and many slaves. He was born in Kentucky and his wife, Harriet Riddle, was born in Maryland, her parents also having been early settlers here. One of their sons, William H. McMahan, was born in LaMine Township in 1834 and became a substantial farmer, spending all his life here, and died Oct., 1895. He married Lucy Hornbeck, who was born in Kentucky, and died in 1870. To them were born five children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the first born, the others being: R. S. McMahan, Kansas City, Mo.; Susan, wife of John H. Duncan, Helena, Mont.; Anna, wife of William H. Duncan, Spokane, Wash., and Josephine, wife of Frank Duncan, Helena, Mont. William E. McMahan grew up on the farm and continued farming, in time becoming the owner of the farm of 100 acres on which he is now living in LaMine Township and which he has greatly improved. Ten years or more ago Mr. McMahan began to give special attention to breeding Duroc Jersey hogs and has made a success in that line. He was born Sept. 10, 1860. March 27, 1894, William E. McMahan was united in marriage with Louella Gorrell, who also was born in LaMine Township, a daughter of Amos Gorrell and wife, the latter of whom was a Schotts, natives of Ohio, who came to Cooper County in 1865 and settled on a farm in LaMine, Township. Mr. Gorrell is now living retired in Blackwater. Mr. and Mrs. McMahan are members of the Baptist Church, and Mr. McMahan is a democrat. William E. McMahan's farm has been in the McMahan family since 1832. -- History of Cooper County, Missouri by W. F. Johnson

McNEIL, D.C.
Dr. D. C. McNeil, born in Springfield, Ill., in 1825, received his medical degree from the Pennsylvania Medical College, was appointed Hospital Steward and promoted to Assistant Surgeon in the Mexican War. He practiced in various places, and came to DeWitt in 1858, remaining there until 1862 when he was appointed Assistant Surgeon to the sixteenth Iowa regiment. In 1865 was transferred to the second regiment United States Volunteers and was discharged at close of war time. He now resides in Osceola, Mo. -- History of Clinton County, IA



McNEMAR, William B.
William B. McNemar, of the firm of J. F. Boyd & Co., extensive dealers in lumber, was born in Hardy County, West Virginia, October 27, 1844. His father, Elias McNemar, was a native of Virginia as also was his mother, formerly Katherine Hilky. They reared eight children, of whom William B. was the seventh. At the age of eighteen years he emigrated to McLean County, Illinois, and there farmed till 1870. He was then engaged in clerical work at Lexington, Illinois, one year, after which he became an employee of Chasey, Mayham & Co., grain dealers at that point, with whom he remained till the fall of 1876. Coming to Appleton City he again gave his attention to the grain business here and at Montrose till 1878 when he became manager of Wyatt & Boyd's lumber business. In February, 1882, he entered as managing partner into the firm which is now known as J. F. Boyd & Co. Mr. McNemar was married July 3, 1881, to Miss Emma McCorkle, a native of Iowa. They have one child, Mary E. he is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity and is a Good Templar. He also belongs to the Christian Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MEAD, William O.
William O. Mead, attorney at law, is a great grandson of William Mead, who was a native of England, and who came to America before the war of independence. He served as a soldier during the entire struggle. John Mead, his son, was a captain in the war of 1812. John G., the son of John Mead, and the father of William O. was born in Virginia. He married Elizabeth Pickel, of Virginia. She was of German and French descent. The subject of this sketch is the oldest of thirteen children, eight sons and five daughters. He came to Missouri with the family in 1850, and settled in Polk County, where they still live. He attended the common schools for several years, and in 1859 he commenced a regular course in the Bolivar Academy. After two years of study he left the school to take part in the war. He joined the Fifteenth Missouri Infantry, (Union army) and after six months enlisted in the Eighth Missouri State Militia, December 18, 1861, of which J. W. McClurg was colonel. He served as orderly sergeant until 1863, when he was promoted to a lieutenant. In September, 1864, he again reenlisted in the Thirteenth Missouri Cavalry, served as lieutenant until October 23, 1864, when he received a Severe wound at the battle of Big Blue, which caused him to resign. He came from the army to this city in December, 1864. He had previously commenced the study of law, and now resumed the preparation for his life work. In 1866 he was elected county clerk. In the spring of 1867 he was admitted to the bar, before B. H. Emerson, circuit judge, and in the spring of 1868 formed a partnership with E. J. Smith and S. S. Burdette. In 1872 Mr. M. commenced the banking business, but in 1877 the bank closed its doors, though paying 95 cents on the dollar. In the winter of 1877 he moved to Texas, where he practiced law for two years. he then went to Dakota Territory for six months, and after returning to this city opened a law office, making the real estate law a specialty. In July, 1881, George A. Neal became a partner, and the firm name is now known as Mead & Neal. Mr. Mead married Miss Henrietta R. Dawson December 15, 1864. She was the daughter of John Dawson, of this city, and was born in Virginia. They have two children, Julia and Ethlyn. In politics he is a Republican, and religiously a Baptist. he is a Royal Arch Mason, a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity, and belongs to the Knights of Pythias and the A.O.U.W. he was interested in the railroad enterprise in the county, and from 1872 till 1876 was secretary of the same. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

MEAK, James R.
Deer Creek Township - James R. Meak was born June 23, 1828, in Hamilton County, Ohio. His father, a native of New York, married Miss Hannah Crain, originally from Ohio. James was the fifth of eight children, four sons and four daughters. When he was six years old he was taken to Illinois, where he was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools. When twenty-two years of age he engaged in farming in Illinois, continued the same until 1869, and then went to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he followed butchering at Roscoe for one year. He resumed agricultural pursuits and also gave his attention to the burning of lime. He now owns two farms in St. Clair County, well improved. In 1881 he came to Adrian. He is possessed of twenty acres of land near the town, where he burns lime and ships it to different points. December 4, 1850, Mr. Meak married Miss Hulda A. Coffing, a native of Indiana. She was killed by lightning in St. Clair County, June 17, 1881. He was again married, October 29, 1881, to Susannah Sullins, of Missouri. His family consists of six children living: Abigail, Ruth A., Andrew, George, Emma and Luttie. He has lost two children. (History of Bates County, Missouri, 1883)



MEE, James A.
James A. Mee, physician and surgeon, was born in Erie County, Pennsylvania, September 17, 1858. His father, Joseph Mee, was a native of Pennsylvania and a son of William Mee, who came originally from England. The mother of James M., whose maiden name was Amanda Anderson, was also born in Pennsylvania. When our subject was twelve years of age his parents moved to Osage County, Missouri, where he was reared and educated. At the age of nineteen he began the study of medicine with Dr. N. B. Jones, of Maries County, Missouri, and June 28, 1881, he was graduated from the Kentucky School of Medicine at Louisville. Then he located at Lowry City, where he has met with excellent success. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. March 26, 1882, Dr. Mee was married to Miss Ella Stovern, a native of Missouri. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MELOY, John
John Meloy is one of the prosperous farmers of this township. He was born in Harrison County, Virginia, December 14, 1826, and was reared there on a farm. After living for two years in Ohio, in 1855 he removed to Clark County, Illinois, and resided there until 1862 when he came to Henry County, Missouri, and after five years in the southern part of that county settled in St. Clair County. He owns 520 acres of land and his dwelling, which is built of variegated stone, taken from the quarries on his farm, is one of the most substantial in the township. He married Miss Nancy Smith in 1855. She was born in Virginia. They have three children: Mary, Sarah and Alvin. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MENTZER, Levi Augustus
Levi Augustus Mentzer was born in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, August 3, 1840, being the son of John Mentzer, a native of the same state and grandson of Simeon Mentzer, originally of Maryland. Levi's mother was formerly Mary Curry, also of Pennsylvania. They had six children. Of the three living Levi A. is the second. When twelve years old his mother died and he went to live with an uncle in Lancaster County, in whose store he was employed at $3 per month. He remained there for ten years, with but little increase of pay. He then entered the employ of Samuel Watts in Mifflin County and worked seven years at $12 per month. Mr. Mentzer now feeling confidence in his own ability to start business for himself, rented a room in Belleville, where he had clerked seven years, bought a small stock of goods, and during the three years in which he was engaged in business made his mark as a successful merchant. In 1869 he came to Osceola and formed a partnership in business with Joseph Landes. They remained together until 1871, when Thomas B. Sutherland bought the interest of Mr. Landes, and the new partnership existed for three years. At this time Mr. Mentzer purchased the interest of Mr. S. March 8, 1874, and since that time he has been doing a large trade in general merchandise. He is a stockholder in the bank of this city and in 1882 was elected its president. In 1871 Mr. Mentzer was appointed postmaster of Osceola and has held the position since that period. In 1862 he joined the 131st Pennsylvania Regiment Volunteer Infantry for nine months, participating in the battles of Fredericksburg December 13, 1862. Mr. M. married Miss Mary E. Goodhart January 11, 1865. She was the daughter of Joseph and Nancy Goodhart. They have two children, Bertie and Carrie. Mr. Mentzer is a Republican, and for eighteen years has been one of the prominent and leading members of the M. E. Church. He also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



METCALF, John T.
Rev. John T. Metcalf, merchant at Roscoe, was born in Fauquier County, Virginia, March 15, 1827. His father, Lewis Metcalf, a native of Virginia, having been a son of Asa Metcalf, who was originally of Scotland. Susan St. Clair, the mother of John T., was also a Virginian by birth. The subject of this sketch was the oldest of five children. When he was sixteen years of age he accompanied the family to Howard County, Missouri, where he resided till 1850, then going to California, where he was engaged in mining and merchandising till 1853. In 1854 he located in St. Clair County, Missouri, and commenced farming. He now has a fine farm of 320 acres of land in section 30, and for the past five years he has been a prominent merchant of Roscoe. In 1856 he was elected assessor of the county, serving one term. In 1874 he was elected representative of the county and served in the legislature one term. July 19, 1834, Mr. Metcalf was united in marriage with Miss Susan C. Marshall, a native of Virginia. They have six children: Lewis H., Martha A., Mary S., William T., Laura and Luther. Mr. M. is a member of the Masonic order. He has been connected with the Baptist Church for over thirty years, and has been a minister of that faith since his ordination in January, 1860. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MILLER, Frank M.
Frank M. Miller, farmer and stock raiser, section 6, was born in Benton County, Missouri, November 8, 1838. His father, William Miller, was a Kentuckian by birth, and a son of Henry Miller, a native of North Carolina. The maiden name of his mother was Levina Williams, of Georgia. The subject of this sketch was reared in Benton County and there received a common school education. He followed school teaching in that county for about five years and then engaged in merchandising at Warsaw for five years. In 1873 he came to St. Clair County and now owns a farm containing 165 acres, all well improved. In 1862 he enlisted in the Enrolled Missouri Militia, and was discharged in 1864. Mr. M. held the office of deputy United States Assessor, for the counties of Hickory, Benton and Camden for some time. He was also postmaster at Warsaw under Lincoln. He is a member of the Christian Church. November 8, 1860, Mr. Miller was married to Miss C. Gilley, a native of Tennessee. They have nine children: Alice C., Ida M., Walter S., Francis M., Willis H., Nellie C., Clarence A. and Clara M. (twins) and Alma M. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MILLS, L. W.
L. W. Mills, manager of F. Egger's mercantile house at Roscoe, is a native of Washington County, Arkansas, and was born April 3, 1840. He is a son of Aaron and Millie (Samuels) Mills, natives of Indiana. When he was but an infant the family removed to Dade County, Missouri, there remaining till he was nine years of age, when they returned to Arkansas, settling at Fayetteville. In 1861 L. W. went to Texas, there residing till 1868, when he came to, St. Clair County, Missouri. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity, and belongs to the M. E. Church. He was married in August, 1859, to Miss Sarah E. Edmondson, a native of Missouri. They have one child living, Lewis A., born October 4, 1875. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MILLSAPS, Perry
Perry Millsaps was born in Wayne County, Kentucky, on the 30th of August, 1828, being the son of H. Millsaps, Esq., who was also born there in 1802. In 1824 he married Miss Rebecca Hoofacre, of the same county. Emigrating to the sparsely settled territory of Missouri in 1829, the senior Millsaps located in Lincoln County, and in 1838 his wife died. His second marriage occurred in 1840 to Miss Ellen Parsons. Perry lived with his father until 1854 when he was married to Miss Elizabeth Capps, of Lincoln County. They had ten children: Barton, Clara A., Mary, Rebecca, David, Timothy, Washington, Katie, Walter and Josephine. Mr. and Mrs. M. are members of the Christian Church, and also belong to the Missouri State Grange. During the Mexican war of 1845-46 he served as aid-de-camp, and in the civil war he enlisted in Henderson's Brigade, September 4, 1861, serving until the close of the war, and being promoted from private to orderly sergeant. Politically he was formerly a Republican. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MINKS, Samuel D.
Samuel D. Minks, blacksmith and wagon maker, is a Kentuckian by birth, and was born on April 14, 1842, his parents being Gillson and Susan Minks, nee Carpenter, the former also a native of Kentucky. Samuel remained at home and attended school until the breaking out of the civil war, when, fired with patriotism, he left the parental roof and in 1863 enlisted in Company D, First Arkansas infantry. After serving for two years and seven months he was honorably discharged. Upon the close of this struggle Mr. M. came to St. Clair County, Missouri, and was married here in 1868 to Miss Melvina Burcuett. They had five children: John W., Silas P., William H., Cora and Richard G. His second marriage occurred in 1879, to Miss Martha Cox. Mr. Minks is the owner of 320 acres of land in this township, with a good orchard, residence, etc. Upon it is also a blacksmith shop, where he follows his trade. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MOLLENKOPF, Joseph
Joseph Mollenkopf, farmer, section 11, was born in Marion County, Indiana, October 20, 1846. His father, John J. Mollenkopf, was a native of Germany, and his mother, formerly Julia A. Painter, came originally from Pennsylvania. Joseph was reared and educated in his native county, following the occupation of farming in Indiana until 1871,. when he came to Missouri, locating in Johnson County. Where he resided until 1876. Since that time he has been a citizen of St. Clair County, his farm containing forty-six acres. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity. Mr. M. was married December 9, 1873, to Miss Malissa E. Snell, of Stark County, Illinois. She was born January 14, 1854. They have two children: Emanuel W. and Samuel F. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MOODY, George
George Moody, proprietor of the Appleton City Marble Works, was born in Boston, Massachusetts, March 28, 1853, and was a son of Joseph and Johanna (Drummond) Moody, who were natives of Scotland. George remained in his native city till seventeen years of age, when he went to Fort Scott, Kansas, there engaging in the marble business. He remained till 1876; then came to Appleton and established his present business, which is perhaps the largest in his line in Southwest Missouri. He has a branch house at Lamar, Missouri. Mr. Moody was married August 23, 1874, to Miss Ida Manning, a native of St. Louis, Missouri. They have three children: Albert, Mabel J. and an infant. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MOORE, Andrew J.
Andrew J. Moore, also a member of the firm of Moore Brothers, came originally from Rutland County, Vermont, having been born there June 6, 1846. He was reared in that locality, and from his youth followed the carpenter's trade. In September, 1868, he moved to Dunn County, Wisconsin, where he remained till June, 1869, then coming to Benton County, Missouri, where he resided one year. In December, 1870, he removed to Osceola, Missouri, and engaged in contracting and building till 1878, when he came to Appleton City. In the fall of 1880 he went to Butler, Missouri, and conducted a planing mill till March, 1882, when he returned to Appleton City. Here he and his brother have since been occupied in their present business. Mr. Moore was married May 12, 1869, to Miss Joanna Ryan, of Connecticut. They have three children, Mattie V., Callie A. and Alman. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MOORE, Charles
Charles Moore, section 28. was born in Troy, New York, June 15, 1829. When four years of age he was taken to Richland County, Ohio, where he grew to manhood, there being educated in the common schools. He was engaged in farming and stock dealing in Ohio until 1859, when he removed to Detroit, Michigan, where his attention was given to the lumber business for two years. In 1861 he went to Chicago and enlisted in Company C, Twenty-third Illinois, in the famous Milligan's brigade. He was discharged at New Creek, West Virginia, June 15, 1864. He then enlisted in Company A. Nineteenth Regiment, Regular army, and was discharged at Fort Arbuckle, Indian Territory, in July, 1867. After this he went to Fort Smith, Arkansas, and then came to Sedalia with a drove of cattle. Returning to Ohio he remained until September, 1873, when he located in St. Clair County, Missouri. He has since been engaged in farming, and now owns a fine farm of 420 acres. Mr. Moore was married November 19, 1871, to Miss Catherine Miller. They have four children: William C., Katie, John H. and Laura R. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MOORE, John A. J.
John A. J. Moore, of the well known firm of Moore Bros., proprietors of planing mill and contractors and builders, owes his nativity to Rutland County, Vermont, where he was born March 24, 1848. He remained there till sixteen years of age, when he went to Wayne County, Michigan, where he lived till 1866. Going thence to Wisconsin, he worked at the carpenter's trade. In June, 1869, he came to Henry County, Missouri, where he engaged in contracting and building. In 1871 he went to Osceola, and in April, 1372, became occupied in mining in Colorado. After three years he was in San Francisco, California, and Port Gamble, Washington Territory, until December, 1876, when he returned to Henry County, Missouri. In May, 1877, he came to this city and commenced contracting. From 1881 to 1882 he was in Butler, Missouri, managing a planing mill. In March, 1882, he returned and erected his present mill. Mr. Moore was married January 2, 1881, to Miss Lillie Childres, of Missouri. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is also a Good Templar. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MOORE, R. R.
Judge R. R. Moore, a prominent citizen of St. Clair County, was born in Kentucky, October 15, 1825, his parents being Jonathan and L. T. (Turpin) Moore, both Kentuckians by birth. The former was born April 20, 1879, and died in May, 1855, while the latter, who was born May 18, 1783, died in 1873. They were married in 1814. R. R. Moore, the sixth child of a family of eight children, was an early settler in this county, having come in 1845, and remained here since. In 1858 he was married to Miss T.E. Davidson, and they have had five children: John M., Rukins R., Mary E., Martha J. and William T. Mr. Moore served in the capacity of county judge very acceptably for five years. He is now one of the largest land owners in this county. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MOORE, William M.
William M. Moore, farmer, section 10, was born in Roscoe Township, St. Clair County, Missouri, March 1, 1848. His father, William Moore, and his mother, Fanny Moore, were natives of Virginia. They were among the first settlers of this county. William was the fifth of a family of nine children. He spent his youth here and received his education in the common schools. His present farm contains 160 acres, well improved, upon which is a good orchard, etc. Mr. M. is a member of the Christian Church. September 19, 1876, he was married to Miss Eliza Hoshaw. They have three children: Ida May, Lulu E. and Laura. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MORELLY, Henry Joseph
Henry Joseph Morelly was born January 18, 1852, in Kingwood, West Virginia. His father, Charles Morelly, was born in Hanover, Germany. He learned the stone mason and plasterers' trade in youth and also received the excellent schooling of the country. He married Christina Orderholt in Germany and they came to America in the fall of 1851, settling in West Virginia, and bought a farm where Mr. M. worked at his trade. In 1864 he removed to Coles County, Illinois, remaining there for two years. In 1866 he came to Henry County, Missouri, and located in Clinton, where he farmed and worked at his trade. He also opened a meat market which he conducted for several years. In 1870 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, purchased a farm and opened a market in Osceola. He now has two farms and lives on section 35. Mr. and Mrs. M. have seven children: Henry Joseph, Charles, Louisa (wife of Harmon Weber), Priscilla (now Mrs. William Hurst), David, Lowry and Emma. Henry J. Morelly, the subject of this sketch and oldest son of Charles, has worked with his father and learned the stone masons' trade and butchering business. After coming to this city he opened a market with his father. The latter giving up the business, the son has continued and he is doing a satisfactory business. Henry J. is a Baptist and belongs to the I.O.O.F. fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



MORGAN, Daniel P.
Daniel P. Morgan, county recorder, was born in Sumner County, Middle Tennessee, October 4, 1816, and was the son of Charles Morgan, a prominent Citizen of his county, who held various offices of honor and trust, and who died in 1860. Mr. Morgan's mother, Sally (Parker) Morgan, was born in Tennessee. Daniel P., the subject of this sketch, was the oldest of a family of seven children. His early life was spent in his father's store, and in November, 1850, he came to Missouri, settling near Osceola, where he improved a farm. In 1852, he was appointed deputy sheriff, and served for two years. In 1854, he was elected sheriff, and was re-elected in 1856. In 1860, he was elected county clerk, and was serving as such when the town was burned by Jim Lane. Mr. M. lived on his farm until 1874, when he was elected recorder. After a period of four years he was again elected recorder, in 1882. He married Miss Susan M. Thompson, in 1838. She was the daughter of William Thompson, of Ohio, who in an early day moved near Nashville, Tennessee. Her mother's maiden name was Polly Parker, a sister of D. P. Morgan's grandfather. They have five children: Charles, John, Daniel, Kittie and Susan. The two eldest children are dead. Mary Jane married J. W. Barr, who died leaving two children, one since deceased, and Edward Lee, who now seventeen years old, lives with his grandfather. Mr. Morgan is a Democrat, is a member of the M. E. Church South, and a Mason. He has been faithful in the discharge of his official duties and has served the people in a manor highly satisfactory to all. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

MORRIS, John W.
John W. Morris, a prominent pioneer and successful farmer and stockman of Kelly Township, is a native of Missouri. He was born near Roscoe, St. Clair County, March 30, 1858, a son of Snodent and Nancy (Dallas) Morris; and family to Cooper County, when he was six years old. Snodent T. Morris was reared to manhood in Cooper County, when he went to St. Clair County, and was there when the Civil War broke out. He enlisted in the Confederate army, and served three years and six months. During the war his wife and children came to Cooper County, where he and his wife spent the remainder of their lives. The Morris family is an old American family, which dates back in this country to Colonial times. They are of English descent and first settled in Virginia. Shadrach Morris, grandfather of John W. of this review, was born in Kentucky. He was a son of Hammond Morris, Jr., who was a native of North Carolina, and was one of the very first settlers of Howard County, Missouri. Hammond Morris, Jr. was a son of Hammond Morris, Sr., who was a son of Edward Morris. John W. Morris has in his possession some interesting family documents, one of which is the will of Edward Morris, which was filed by his widow, Elizabeth Morris, in Richmond County, Virginia, in 1752. Another interesting old document which he has is a will executed by Jesse Morris and wife, conveying land in Madison County, Kentucky, to Hammond Morris dated September 5, 1816. He has a letter dated November 6, 1839, written by Hammond Morris, who at that time lived in Kelly Township, to John Morris and family, and Jene Fry and family. This letter states that the parties to whom it is written would do well to come to Cooper County. That land there is selling for $1.25 per acre; corn is worth from 20 to 25c per bushel; wheat, 75c; oats, 20c; bacon, 7c per pound and pork from 3 to 3 1/2 cents per pound. That there is no money current here in the land office, except Missouri paper, and gold and silver. John W. Morris has lived in Kelly Township since 1862, since he was four years old. He bought his present home farm, which consists of 150 acres, in 1866. He also owns 80 acres in another tract, making 230 acres in all. His place is well improved with a good farm residence and he is successfully engaged in carrying on general farming and stock raising. -- History of Cooper Co., Missouri, 1883



MOTTLEY, P. A.
P. A. Mottley, farmer and stock raiser, section 20, was born December 13, 1823, in Pittsylvania County, Virginia, his parents being David and Gibia (Nichols) Mottley, Virginians by birth. P. A. remained in his native county until fifteen years old when he went to Tennessee, there following farming until 1846. Coming to St. Clair County, Missouri, he settled on the farm which he now occupies. He has since lived in this county, excepting from 1848 to 1855, which time he spent in California and Mexico. His farm contains 1,100 acres, 300 of which are in cultivation. Mr. M. was a soldier in the Mexican war. He was treasurer of his township during the township organization. January 8, 1863, he was married to Miss Zilia Parks, a native of Missouri. They have a family of seven children: Margaret J. and James D., twins, Francis A., George L., Merritt L., Wade H. and Sarah. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

MUNSELL, Levi Leonidan
Levi L. Munsell. Among Shannon County's younger business men are many whose interests in this section of the Ozark Region are going to make it a few years hence what it is today as compared with a generation ago. Many of these have already made their mark, but few have attained the distinction that Levi L. Munsell can justly claim and is proud of. He is a live and enterprising citizen, and is considered to be one of the best, if not the best, posted real estate dealers in the county. Mr. Munsell was born at Centerville, Gallia County, Ohio, in 1850, to the union of Rev. Levi W. and Mary T. (Dean) Munsell. Rev. Levi W. Munsell was born in Mason County, W. Virginia, November 13, 1817, and was a son of Levi and Lucretia (Oliver) Munsell, natives, respectively, of Connecticut and Massachusetts, the former was born in 1764 and the latter in 1772. Levi Munsell went to Ohio in 1785 among the early settlers of the then Northwestern Territory, and settled at Marietta, where he was married in 1789 to Miss Oliver, a daughter of
Alexander Oliver, a native of Massachusetts, but who was one of the original settlers of Marietta, on April 7, 1788, when the first settlement was made in what is now the State of Ohio. He died about 1828, and was a colonel in the Revolutionary War. Mr. Levi Munsell and Miss Oliver were the fourth white couple married in the Northwestern
Territory. About the year 1792 they moved to Cincinnati, where Mr. Munsell engaged in merchandising, and later moved to various places in the State, from which they subsequently moved to Mason County. W. Virginia, where the father of our subject was born, returning to Ohio in 1818, and settling in Miami County, where Mr. Munsell died February 15, 1849. He was a Revolutionary soldier, serving three years under George Washington, and fought bravely for independence. He also served under Gen. St. Clair as a lieutenant in the expedition against the Indians in the Northwestern Territory, and while upon this expedition saw the land which he moved upon in 1818, and from which he cleared his farm in Miami County. His wife died in Ross County, Ohio, January 4, 1853. Both were Methodists. Henry Munsell, Levi's father, was born in Connecticut and there spent his entire life upon a farm. He was of French descent. Rev. Levi W. Munsell was married in Athens County, Ohio, in 1843, to Miss Dean. At the time of his marriage he was a traveling Methodist minister, and in the fall of 1843 was sent to West Virginia by the conference, returning to Ohio in 1844 traveled over the various circuits of southern Ohio until 1858, when he removed to Illinois, but in 1866 again returned to the Buckeye State. In 1872 he came to Shannon County, Missouri, where he now lives, and is a man honored and respected by all. He was elected probate judge of Shannon County, the first one under the present Constitution, and his eldest brother, Leander Munsell, was the first native Ohioan who became a
member of the Ohio General Assembly. Mr. Munsell's wife was born in Athens County, Ohio, in 1820, and is still living. She was a daughter of Oliver Dean (a native of Massachusetts) and Mary (Cutler) Dean, who was a daughter of Judge Ephraim Cutler, who was one of the pioneers of Ohio and a member of the Territorial Legislature, and one of the delegates from Washington County to the convention which drafted the first constitution for the State of Ohio under which the Territory was admitted as a State to the Union. And it was he who presented and succeeded in having adopted the article granting to the State the free-school system. In politics Mr. Munsell was a Whig in early life, but since the formation of the Republican party he has been an active Republican. To his marriage were born eight children, five of whom are living. The eldest of these children and the only living son, our subject, spent his school days in the common schools of Illinois and Ohio. He attended the Amesville Academy in Athens County, Ohio, two
years, and also two years at the Ohio University at Athens. He went through the sophomore year, and then commenced work with the county surveyor of Morgan County, Ohio, to acquire the practical knowledge of surveying and engineering. Later he came to Missouri with his father, and here did a great deal of surveying in Shannon and neighboring counties, also some work on the Current River Railroad. In 1888 he turned his attention more especially to the real estate and abstract business. He read law and was admitted to the bar in 1877, practicing as a lawyer but little, however, although an excellent counselor; he preferred the more active pursuits of surveying and the real estate
business. But at one term of the circuit court, in the absence of the judge, was elected by the bar to hold the term. He has held the office of county surveyor and also probate clerk, as well as other official positions. He at one time was a partner of Judge James Orchard (now of West Plains) in the law and real estate business, afterward was a partner of S. H. Ware, the present circuit clerk, but since 1892 he has been alone. He has the only complete set of abstract records in the county, and now lives at Birch Tree, where he has a flourishing real estate business, and has done and is doing more to the upbuilding of and development of the resources of Shannon County than perhaps any other man in it in inducing immigration and in settling up the wild lands of the county. Mr. Munsell was married in 1878 to Miss Maggie A. Isaminger, of this county, who was a daughter of Col. James Isaminger. They have had eight children, three boys and four girls now living and one son, the eldest, died in 1887. Mr. Munsell is an Odd Fellow, and in politics is an active and ardent Republican. -- Shannon Co., Missouri Biographies



MYERS, Bazzel
Bazzel Myers, farmer and stock raiser, was born October 16, 1841, in Auglaize County, Ohio. His father, Jacob Myers, a farmer by occupation, was born November 8, 1808, in Greene County, Tennessee, and in May, 1832, married Miss Sarah Day, who was born December 22, 1818, in Maryland. They had five children. William, Bazzel, Addison, Elizabeth and Jacob. Two of these are deceased. Mrs. M. died May 10, 1851, and Mr. M. departed this life August 16, 1866. The subject of this sketch commenced life for himself when eleven years old. He lived with J. H. Dawson, of Auglaize County, Ohio, until of age and then enlisted in Company C, Fifty-seventh Ohio Volunteer Infantry, S. R. Mott, captain. He served through the war, receiving an honorable discharge at Indianapolis, Indiana, October 12, 1864. Mr. Myers returned to Ohio and engaged in farming and was married to Miss Mary I. Huntley, May 4, 1865, in Waynesfield, that state. By this union they had nine children, eight of whom are now living: Ida L., Joseph W. (died May 13, 1870), Estelle M., Jacob C., Nora A., Alfred S., James Eddison, Kinsy L. and Martha J.
-- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

 


HOME