St. Clair County Missouri
Biographies

W
 

WAGNER, George
George Wagner, farmer and stock raiser, section 17. The subject of this sketch is one of the prominent men of Speedwell Township and one worthy of mention in the history of this county. He is a native of Germany and was born January 28, 1826. When but four years old he was brought to America by his parents, who located at Petersburg, Virginia. George there received the benefits of the common schools, and in 1842 he went back to Germany, where he entered the Heidelberg University of Baden-Baden. There he took a thorough course in surveying, engineering and jurisprudence, learning the Greek, Latin and Hebrew languages. He was graduated from that institution in 1847. Returning to Petersburg, Virginia, he was engaged in ornamental gardening, at which he accumulated a large amount of wealth. This was all lost during the war. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate service and was made regimental quartermaster of Roger A. Pryor's regiment, and after a short time was promoted to brigade quartermaster, which position he filled for eight months. After that time he filled the position of first assistant chief quartermaster of General Longstreet's corps until the surrender of General Lee. After the close of the war he remained in Petersburg, Virginia, for eighteen months, when he went to Kingman County, Kansas. He was occupied in farming and raising stock till 1878, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. Here he now has 320 acres of land, eighty acres in Vernon County and 320 acres of good farming land in Kansas, and he is one of the most practical farmers of this county. In 1874 he was elected probate judge of Kingman County, Kansas, which office he held four years. Mr. W. is a member of the Masonic fraternity. In February, 1849, he was married to Miss Caroline Bloom, a native of Virginia. She died in 1878, leaving five children: George, Herman, William, Caroline and Louisa. He was married again in July, 1881, to Mrs. Mary J. Price, of Ohio. Her maiden name was Russell. Mr. and Mrs. W. are members of the Baptist Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

WALDO, Calvin
Calvin Waldo. Calvin Waldo, one of the twelve children of Jedediah Waldo and Polly Porter was born June 3, 1808 in Harrison County, Virginia and died February 18, 1858 in St. Clair County, Missouri. It is said that the father was austere and eccentric and that his sons left home in early manhood and the daughters married as soon as possible to escape the parental roof. In any case, six of the Waldo brothers and many of their kin came west. By 1834 or earlier, Calvin Waldo had settled in the forks of Sac River in this county. The elder brother took the west side of what became Roscoe Township and Calvin the east side in Osceola Township. The river bend by his place became known as Waldo Bend and here the first store in the county, outside of Osceola, was established and doing business
by 1836. A ferry across Sac River to the Waldo place was operated by a negro slave. Uncle Peter Waldo was quite a character in the community. By act of organization of St. Clair County, February 15, 1841, Calvin Waldo, Joseph Montgomery and Thomas F. Wright were appointed commissioners to superintend and conduct an election by the people to decide on a suitable point for the county seat. The elder Waldos were dissatisfied with the choice of Osceola and together with the Applegates and Beals, sold their land and went to Oregon. Calvin Waldo remained and in 1850 was one of the Justices of the county court. From 1852 until his death, he was presiding Judge of the court. He became ill with typhoid/pneumonia and died February 18, 1858. Calvin Waldo was buried beside his first wife and two young children in the little stone walled graveyard called Waldo/Pasley Ranch Cemetery. Judge Waldo was married twice, first in January 1837 in Franklin Co, MO to Frances D. North (1812-1837) and secondly on August 25, 1838 to
Matilda Odeneal in Benton County (1806-1868). She died in Houston, Texas from Yellow Fever. The children of Calvin and Matilda were Jedediah Odeneal Waldo (1839-1896), Mary (1843- ) who married a Mr. Perry and Milton (1845- ) who died in Houston, Texas during the Civil War. -- St. Clair County Democrat May 30, 1940

WALDO, David
David Waldo was in a trading and trapping partnership with Charles Bent. Recalls the struggle along the Santa Fe Trail, Indian relations, establishment of Bent's Fort, overland journeys including that of Auguste P. Chouteau attempt to California, William Ashley, Jedediah Strong Smith, Alexander Le Grand, Albert Pike, etc. Author: William Waldo, Glimpses of the Past, April-June 1938, Issue 4-6, Volume: 5, Pages 62-94. Charles, John, William, George and Robert Bent were all sons of Silas Bent who came to St. Louis in 1806. John Bent was born on May 31, 1803 and died in Callaway County, Missouri on May 18, 1845. William Bent was born on May 23, 1809 and died in Colorado on May 19, 1869. Robert Bent was killed by Indians in 1841 and George died on December 27, 1847. Charles Bent was born on November 11, 1799 and was killed by Indians while governor of New Mexico in 1846. "William Waldo, Santa Fe trader, merchant, and farmer, was born near Clarksburg, Harrison County, Virginia, Jan. 16, 1812 son of Jedediah and Polly (Porter) Waldo." His brother was Dr. David Waldo. He was in the mercantile business at Harmony Mission, Bates County, Missouri from 1837 to 1846. -- Recollections of a Septuagenarian

WALDO, William
William Waldo (Capt. Bill), son of Jedediah Waldo and his first wife, Polly Porter, was born January 16, 1812 in Harrison County, Virginia and died November 2, 1881 at Sutherland Springs, Wilson County, Texas.
He left Virginia in his early youth for Missouri and joined his brother, Dr. David Waldo, who had settled at Independence, Missouri. William made a number of trips with trappers and hunters and after Dr. Waldo became engaged with the Santa Fe trade, he accompanied several of the caravans. For a brief time, he attended the Christian Brothers School in St. Louis, but poor health and the lure of the open spaces soon caused him to return to the trail.
At Union Mission in Arkansas Territory, he met Rev. William Fowler and his wife, Asenath Selden Vaill, missionaries to the Osage Indians and January 23, 1834, he married their daughter, Elizabeth Ely Vaill, who was born at Guilford Connecticut September 27, 1814 and died at Sutherland Springs, Texas, December 20, 1878. For a time, Mr. Waldo settled in the portion of Bates county, which is now Vernon County and the Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri states that the first merchants of Vernon County after the French traders, included William Waldo on the Marmaton River near Harmony Mission. Captain Waldo also had mercantile interests in Osceola and two other places. While not listed as a settler in this section as early as 1840, Captain Waldo became a resident of St. Clair County a few years later, for the records of the Presbyterian Church show that his wife, Mrs. Elizabeth Waldo was received in 1844.
Mr. Waldo was active in the project to improve the Osage River with wing dams for the purpose of navigation. In 1844, Captain Waldo brought the Maid of the Osage from Jefferson City to Harmony Mission, three miles above Papinsville and in 1868 or 1869, the Tom Stevens, a stern wheel boat, reached the same place four times.
The Wave was a steamboat Capt. Waldo was commissioned to purchase in Cincinnati, Ohio, and bring back.
The rush to the California gold fields proved irresistible and Mr. Waldo left Missouri as Capt. of a large emigrant train.
The History of St. Clair County gives an incomplete list of 36 persons, besides Mr. and Mrs. John B. Waldo and their negro slave, Nathan in the party with 24 wagons and two hundred head of stock. According to our county history, the train crossed the Osage at Osceola, April 24, 1849 and reached the diggings in five months, 17 days. One man, John Read, died on the headwaters of Humbolt River. John Waldo, John Wamsley and Alec Ray died shortly after reaching California. John Waldo was the Captain’s eldest brother and John Wamsley his nephew. The next year, accounts of suffering on the plains influenced Capt. Waldo to bring relief. There was, at that time, no name upon the Pacific slope around which public affection and gratitude so clustered as that of Capt. William Waldo. About 1852 an act was passed by the California Legislature, partly  re-imbursing Mr. Waldo for his relief and efforts were made in other states to have the legislature repay him for aid to their citizens or to urge congress to do so, but these appeals were in vain. In 1853 the Whigs of California nominated him for Governor of that state, but he failed the election. After his defeat, he made his way back east, stopping in Minnesota where he engaged successfully in farming and speculation.
After an absence of eight years, he returned to his family in Missouri. His wife had been teaching a day school and Sunday School in a log house a mile from Osceola. Later the Sunday School as well as union services were held in the unfinished brick courthouse in the center of town. When Jim Lane led his band in from Kansas, William Waldo was visiting his wife’s relatives near Papinsville and upon learning of the projected raid on Osceola, nearly killed his horse riding at top speed to warn the inhabitants. He reached town Saturday noon September 21 and Lane’s men got there before dawn on the 22nd. After the burning of the town, Mr. Waldo rode east and met his nephew, Waldo P. Johnson, in Marietta, Ohio, bringing tidings of the state of affairs in the county. They returned together. During the war, Mr. Waldo was in Texas and Arkansas and at its close came back to Missouri where his daughters obtained positions as teachers although they refused to take the oath. About 1866, he settled on a farm near San Antonio, Texas, but failing health induced him to move to Wilson County some eight years before his death and here, after many wanderings and adventures, he and his wife peacefully ended their days. Children of Capt. William Waldo and Elizabeth Ely Vaill were: Asenath Porter Waldo, born Jan 5, 1833. She was a teacher who never married and spent her last days in new York City. Mary Selden Waldo, born July 14, 1837 was a deaf mute from scarlet fever. She was educated at home, then at a school in Jacksonville, Illinois where she became a teacher. She was married to Professor Charles Laughlin, also a deaf mute and a fellow teacher. They had two sons, Waldo and Ely Laughlin who were entirely normal. Isabelle Vaill Waldo was born in Bates County, October 28, 1842 and died in New York City where she had maintained an art studio for a number of years. She was a artist of distinction, studied abroad and
exhibited her work in London and Paris. She was never married. Ellen Ely Waldo, born March 7, 1846 in St. Clair County, died at Knoxville, Ilinois where she was a teacher. She never married. Lawrence Ludlow Waldo, named for his uncle who was killed in Mora, New Mexico in the Indian uprising of 1847, was born March 27, 1848. He attended Westminster college at Fulton, Missouri and died, unmarried, in Lexington, Kentucky September 20, 1869. -- St. Clair County Democrat June 27, 1940

WALDO, William
Osage River has been navigated at times by small steamboats. In 1844 Captain William Waldo sailed the “Maid of the Osage” from Jefferson City to Harmony Mission, three miles above Papisnville, and other boats made the same trip later that year. In 1847 Captain Waldo brought “the Wave”, a side wheel steamboat, to Papinsville; and in 1868 or 1869 the “Tom Stevens”, a stern wheel boat, reached the same place four times. In late years small boats have not been able to ascend higher than Osceola, in St. Clair County. The first merchants in Vernon County, after the French traders, were Bernhart & Raper, at Balltown, in 1836-37; James Johnson, one mile below, on Osage River, and William Waldo, on the Marmaton River. After the abandonment of the mission, Captain William Waldo opened a store in 1838, bringing his goods in wagons drawn by oxen, from Lexington, a distance of 150 miles. In 1844 he brought a small steamboat, the “Maid of the Osage”, from Jefferson City, a wonderful undertaking. Freeman Barrows came from Massachusetts the same year and worked in Captain Waldo’s store. He was the first county clerk, and became the first postmaster after the establishment of the county seat, the post office being called Batesville.
Hermitage – the county seat of Hickory County, and an unincorporated town. The first residents were Thomas Davis, who opened a tavern; William Waldo, who opened a store; and W.E. Dorman, who set up an ox sawmill.
Nearly all Indians are naturally disposed to be warlike. In their wild condition warfare was frequent between the different tribes. In their intercourse with the whites they were easily offended and always ready to spring to arms. Very few were permanently friendly. The hunters and trappers had to be always vigilant, and with the best watchfulness were sometimes surprised. Some whites were killed by the Indians prior to 1820. From 1820 to 1835 many lost their lives at the hands of the savages. An old pioneer (William Waldo) says that “the soil of the plains and the Rocky Mountains has been fertilized by the blood of the sons of many of the best families of St. Louis and Missouri.” Nearly all the trappers and traders of the vast region of the plains and mountains west were Missourians and chiefly of St. Louis. For that reason it is proper to briefly mention some of the conditions in which they engaged.
In 1833 Ebenezer and William Gash located on Coon Creek in St. Clair County. The Culbertson brothers, Isaac, Joseph and Ira, settled near by in 1835, and later the same year James and Robert Gardner settled farther southeast in the Coon Creek neighborhood. Other early settlers were Daniel, Joseph and Calvin Waldo, on the Sac River, south of the present site of Osceola. Calvin made his home in the big bend, where he opened a store, the second in what is now the county. In 1845 Joseph Montgomery, Calvin Waldo and Thomas F. Wright were named commissioners to hold an election for location of a county seat. Osceola was chosen after a bitter contest. -- Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901



WALKER, David
 David Walker, farmer, section 17, a native of Darke County, Ohio, was born January 7, 1842, being the son of Alexander and Catherine (Sheppard) Walker, natives of Virginia. David was the fourth child of a family of ten children. In 1856 his parents moved to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he arrived at manhood, engaging in farming and stock raising. His farm is well improved and contains 120 acres. His fine residence was built in 1881. Mr. W. was in the Missouri State Militia during the late war. February 23, 1864, he married Miss Frances Kellerinan, who was born in Indiana May 9, 1842. They have seven children: William, Anna B., James P., Mary E., Charles, Minnie A. and Cora. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WALKER, John
John Walker, farmer, section 21, was born in Miami County, Ohio, May 12, 1834. His father, Alexander Walker, a native of West Virginia, was a son of James Walker, a Virginian by birth and a soldier in the war of 1812. The maiden name of John's mother was Catherine Sheppard, originally from Maryland. John was reared in Ohio and was educated in the common schools. In 1856 he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he has since followed farming, now owning eighty acres of good land, well watered, etc. Mr. W. has held a number of township offices, among which are those of trustee and constable. September 18, 1856, he was married to Miss Mary Riegel, a native of Ohio. They have nine children: Sarah A., Jacob A., Nehemian, Lydia, John L., James M., Oliver S., Rudolph and Nellie M. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WALLACE, P.
 P. Wallace, farmer, section 7, was born in Hancock County, Indiana, November 22, 1850. His father, John J. Wallace, a native of North Carolina, was married to Miss Eliza Sergeant, of Indiana, who now lives in Bates County, her husband being deceased. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in the county of his birth. When about seventeen years old he came to Missouri and located in Bates County, where he lived until 1875, then coming to his present location. Here he now has a farm of 160 acres. He was married February 5, 1873, to Miss Naomi F. Fleemer, who was born in Monroe County, Indiana, July 30, 1853. She was a daughter of Samuel and Mary (Hendricks) Fleemer, the former of Indiana, and the latter of Kentucky. The family of Mr. W. consists of two children, Minnie and Eva. They are members of the Christian Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

WAMSLEY, Elijah
Elijah Wamsley was born in Harrison County, Virginia about 1805 and died in Rives County about 1836. He was married May 14, 1828 in Virginia to Lovina Waldo (1810-1868), the daughter of Jedediah Waldo and his first wife, Polly Porter. In 1818, Jedediah Waldo had taken as his second wife, Mrs. Sarah Shinn Wamsley, the mother of Elijah, so the young couple had no doubt grown up in the same household. About 1834, Mr. Wamsley brought his wife and their young children to this section, attracted no doubt by the accounts of the county given by his wife’s brothers. He entered land in what is now Washington township of St. Clair County, about 12 miles from Osceola, out on Brush Creek, southwest and upstream from the farm of the county’s first settler, Jacob Coonce, who was
employed by Mr. Wamsley to help him with his farming. Elijah Wamsley did not long survive the establishment of his home in this part of the country. In the fall of 1836, he was buried in a woodland graveyard near his place. He was regarded by all who knew him as a man of great worth. In 1839, Jacob Coonce was married to Mrs. Wamsley and was a kindly stepfather to the Wamsley children. One of the four had died in infancy. The children of Elijah and Lovina Waldo were: John Wamsley, born 1829 in Virginia. He went from St. Clair County to California in the gold rush on the train captained by his Uncle, William Waldo. He died October 2, 1849 near Sacramento and was buried there. Adeline (Ada) Wamsley was born in 1833. She was educated at home by her mother and at school in town, where she stayed with relatives. She was one of the group that made a trip to Virginia by river steamboats on the Osage, the Missouri, the Mississippi and the Ohio Rivers in the summer and early fall of 1849. The other members of the party were Mrs. Waldo P. Johnson and her infant son, William T.; Mrs. P.M. Cox with her daughter Margaret, her son P.M., Jr. and her granddaughter Lelia Crutchfield; Mrs. William McFarland Cox and Roderick Douglas McCullough. Ada was never robust after this trip and in the summer of 1851, she became ill with typhus fever. She died at the age of 18, September 14, 1851 and is buried in the family graveyard near her father’s place.
Alexis Wamsley was born in Missouri in 1835 and was killed in St. Clair County in January, 1862. He attended the University of Missouri and was graduated in 1856. He had been reading law with Judge Johnson and in 1857 was admitted to the bar. For a time he practiced in Clinton and in 1860 was attorney for the 7th Judicial District. Later, he established himself in the Osceola office of Judge Johnson and looked after his affairs for him when he was away.
In 1859 he purchased the military land warrant for 80 acres in favor of Lawson Thompson, Private in Captain Robertson’s Co., Kentucky Militia, in the War of 1812, and as Thompson’s assignee received from President James Buchanan a patent for the east half of the northwest quarter of section 27 in township 36 of range 26 and added this to the lands he had inherited from his father. He was married in 1859 at Clinton, to Mary E. (Mollie) Davis, daughter of Col. Davis of Lexington, Mo. Their daughter, Bunnie, died as a child while her mother was in exile during the war years. Their son, Alexis Wamsley, Jr., grew to manhood at the home of his Grandfather Davis and later moved to Colorado. When Jim Lane’s intentions on Osceola became known here, the bank asked its depositors to call for their money and valuables and Alexis Wamsley was one of the citizens who complied with the request. He was given
several thousand dollars in gold in a small pine box, which he carried out to the Jacob Coonce farm on Brush creek and hid in a crevice of rock in a cave off the stream. His wife and children had taken refugee in Arkansas with Col. Davis because of the troubled times, but his mother and step-father had not yet been driven out and Alexis Wamsley had stayed on trying to look after his property. Early in 1862, he was preparing to join his family in the south and came by Jacob Coonce for a screwdriver, saying he would pick up some of his hidden gold, and would stop by before leaving permanently. His family never saw him again. Some weeks later, his body was found in the woods about five miles from the home of his mother and stepfather. It was months before Mrs. Wamsley, in Arkansas, learned the fate of her husband. When the war had ended, the Wamsley gold, except for a small amount supposedly taken by Alexis and taken from his person when he was killed, was recovered by the family. Mrs. Wamsley later married Dr. Owen of Trinidad, Colorado. -- St. Clair County Democrat, June 13, 1940



WARDEN, Samuel Adams
Samuel Adams Warden, attorney at law, is the fourth of a family of nine children born to Samuel and Loretta (Richards) Warden, natives of Pennsylvania. Samuel was born in Wilkesbarre, Pennsylvania, July 27, 1838. He received a practical education in youth and when seventeen years of age was employed as a clerk in a store, where he remained two years, and during his leisure hours read law. He subsequently took a commercial course in bookkeeping and was employed as a bookkeeper in Chicago and St. Louis, but the business being too confining he went to Cooper County, Missouri, in 1866. The following three years he was interested in agricultural pursuits. Having early formed a desire to become a lawyer, he resumed the study of law, and in 1869 was admitted to the bar by Judge Rice in Cooper County. In 1871 he opened an office in Sedalia and lived there ten years. In May, 1881, he removed to Osceola. Mr. W. was married June 4, 1862, in St. Louis to Miss Virginia E. Fisher, a daughter of W. P. Fisher, a native of Virginia. Mrs. Warden died December 22, 1882, leaving two children: William Fisher and Beverly S. Mr. W. is a prominent member of the Greenback party and he started the Labor Greenback Advocate in Sedalia, the first paper of its kind in the state. He has rendered his party efficient service as a forcible and effective speaker. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and the A.O.U.W. lodges. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WARNER, Philip
Philip Warner, section 11, a native of Washtenaw County, Michigan, was born February 28, 1858, and is a son of Abraham and Barbara (Layer) Warner, who were natives of Germany. Philip spent his youth on the farm at his birthplace, receiving a common school education. In the fall of 1870 he came to Missouri and bought land and settled in St. Clair County. Here he has a farm of eighty acres. Mr. Warner was married in this county September 17, 1878, to Mrs. Mollie Ruebush, a widow of Joseph Ruebush, and a daughter of Henry R. Holden. She has one child by her former marriage, Thomas Ruebush. Mr. and Mrs. W. have two children, Birdie B. and Harry T. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WARREN, William Wilcox
Elder William Wilcox Warren was born in Boyle County, Kentucky, June 25, 1837, and was the son of Dr. William W. Warren, who was born in Kentucky, in 1808, he being of English ancestry. He received a liberal education, and was graduated at the Transylvania University of Kentucky. After practicing for some time he went to Mississippi, and in 1843 came to Missouri and settled in Lafayette County. He died in 1876. He married Miss Maria S. Speed, of Kentucky, who was of Scotch descent. They had nine children, of whom William was the third. He received an academic education, and in 1859, he came to St. Clair County and taught school, and he has been engaged in this occupation for many years. In 1867 he commenced preaching and in 1868, he was ordained by the Christian Church and since that date has been an active minister. He owns 700 acres of land and lives on section 14. Mr. W. married Miss Mary E. Coonce, in March, 1862. She was the daughter of Jacob Coonce, the first settler to make a home in St. Clair County in 1831. They have five children: Bailey and Wirt (twins), Mary P., Willis K., and Henry Jacob. In politics he is a Democrat. He has held the office of county school commissioner. He is a Mason and a member of the A.O.U.W. fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WAYMIRE, Andrew
Andrew Waymire, blacksmith at Roscoe, is a native of Warren County, Indiana, and was born October 29, 1828. He is a son of Isaac and Rachel Waymire, who were natives of Ohio. Andrew was the fourth of a family of nine children. When ten years of age he accompanied his parents to Buchanan County, Missouri, where he was reared to manhood, and he was engaged in farming in Missouri and Iowa till 1859. Then he worked at the gunsmith's trade in Iowa till 1868, when he removed to Arkansas, becoming occupied at the trade of blacksmith for three years. He worked in Lawrence County, Missouri, till 1874, when he came to Roscoe, and has since been interested in blacksmithing. Mr. Waymire was married December 1, 1846, to Miss Malissa Barrow, of Kentucky. They have five children living: Huldah, Maria, John, Charles and Albert. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WEBER, H.
H. Weber, the son of Anton and Catherine G. Weber, natives of Baden, Germany, was born in Alsace, Germany, January 9, 1851. He received a good practical education in his youth, and learned the trade of shoemaking. In 1873 he emigrated to the United States and settled in St. Louis, working at his trade in that city three years. Then he went to Clinton, Henry County, from whence, after working two years, he removed to Osceola and opened a shop. He owns a good business building, carries a complete stock of goods and is doing a successful business. Mr. Weber married Miss Louisa Morelly March 10, 1878. She is the daughter of Charles Morelly. They have two children, Charles and Florence. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. Politically he is a Republican, and in his religious preferences a Catholic.
-- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

WEIDEMEYER, John M.
John Mohler Weidemeyer (1834-1911) was born at Charlottesville, VA January 10, 1834. He was a son of John F. Weidemeyer and Lucinda Draffen Weidemeyer. They moved to New York City and in 1838 moved to Boonville, MO. In 1840, the family moved to Osceola, MO.  John F. Weidemeyer resided in Osceola until after the destruction of the town by Jim Lane. He had a mercantile business (J.F. Weidemeyer and Son) and served as County Treasurer. After the destruction of Osceola, John F. Weidemeyer moved to Sherman, Texas and died there in 1882. -- St. Clair County Democrat, January 18, 1940
 



WELLS, John E.
 John E. Wells, hardware merchant at Roscoe, was born in Carroll County, Missouri, September 22, 1857. His parents were Daniel W. and Margaret (Craven) Wells, the former a native of Illinois, and the latter of Missouri. When John E. was an infant he was taken by his grandfather to Clay County, Missouri, where he was reared and educated. In 1875 he removed to Harrison County, Missouri and clerked in a store there, and then in Gentry County till 1878, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. Here he followed school teaching till the spring of 1883, when he engaged in the hardware business. He is a member of the M. E. Church, South, and belongs to the I.O.G.T. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WHALEY, John Calvin
John Calvin Whaley, M.D., comes of old revolutionary stock. His great grandfather, James Whaley, born in Virginia, removed to Kentucky at an early day. He served in the revolutionary war, and furnished his hired man with a horse and paid him a salary for service in the same cause. Edward Whaley, the son of James, came to Kentucky with his father when thirteen years old. He married and settled in Bourbon County, Kentucky. In 1819 he located lands in what is now Marion County, Missouri. He entered these lands at the first land sales in St. Louis in 1821. Albert Whaley, the father of John C., and Polly Bird were married December 21, 1826. The doctor's grandfather came to Missouri with his family and slaves in 1821 and improved the lands he had previously located. He was the first county surveyor of Marion County and a member of the first grand jury. The subject of this sketch was born in Marion County, Missouri, December 16, 1838, and was the seventh of a family of thirteen children. He was reared on a farm, and received a good practical education at McGee and St. Paul Colleges. After leaving school he taught for seven years in Texas. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate army at the call of Governor Jackson and was commissioned a first lieutenant. After the battle of Lexington he was appointed adjutant to Colonel Franklin with the rank of captain, and he served in that capacity until wounded and captured near Bragg's School House in Shelby County. He was confined at Palmyra, St. Louis and Alton and succeeded in making his escape. He rejoined Price's army in Mississippi and became a volunteer aid to General Green in the Iuka Springs expedition. He went to Texas on important duty, and after the surrender he went to New Mexico and the mountains. In 1866 he was at Waco, where he engaged in teaching school and pursuing his medical studies. He commenced his professional career in Clernard County. In 1869 he removed to Arkansas, near Fayetteville, and practiced there until 1875, when he came to Osceola, where he has since been actively pursuing his chosen profession. In connection with Mr. G. W. O'Conner he is largely interested in stock raising. Dr. W. was married in September, 1867, to Mrs. B. Deckerd, widow of B. Deckerd, who was killed in a battle in the Red River expedition. Mrs. W. has three children by her former marriage: Hugh, Ben and Bettie. Dr. and Mrs. W. have one son. Politically, the doctor is a Democrat, and he is also a Mason. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

WHALEY, John Calvin
John Calvin Whaley, M.D. In 1896, Dr. Whaley was elected to the State Senate by the largest Democratic majority ever cast up to that time in the Sixteenth Senatorial District. His service in that body was conspicuous. He was active in the advocacy of the famous Anti-Trust Law, which he introduced and which was known as the ”Whaley Anti-Trust Law”. He had the satisfaction of seeing this bill pass both houses, receive approval of the Governor and take it’s place inthe statutes of Missouri. -- St. Clair County Democrat February 1, 1940

WHALEY, John Calvin
John Calvin Whaley, physician and legislator, of St. Clair County, Missouri, was born December 16, 1838, near Palmyra, Missouri. His parents were Albert and Mary Foreman (Bird) Whaley, both natives of Kentucky – the father was born in Bourbon County, Kentucky and the mother in Harrison County, of that State. Albert Whaley came to Missouri in 1821, and his wife’s family a year or two later. The ancestry of the Whaley family is highly honorable and peculiarly interesting. James Whaley, a Virginian, descended from an English family which immigrated to America about 1660, was a soldier in the Virginia line of the Continental Army during the Revolutionary War, and was present at the surrender of Yorktown. His son, Edward, was named for Sir Edward Whaley, a not remote ancestor. Edward was a soldier in the war with Great Britain in 1812. He was also a Captain of Kentucky Riflemen during the Indian Wars and was promoted to Major. He was the father of Albert Whaley, whose son was John Calvin Whaley. The last named acquired the rudiments of an education in the common schools of Palmyra, following this with academical studies in the Baptist Seminary of that city and collegiate courses at St. Paul’s College and McKee College. He then took up the study of medicine, meanwhile teaching school in order to defray his expenses. He afterward entered the Louisville (Kentucky) Medical College, where he attended lectures. He first entered upon practice in Texas, removing to Fayetteville, Arkansas in 1869, and in 1875 to Osceola, Missouri, where he has been professionally engaged ever since. The Civil War interrupted the medical career he had determined upon. When hostilities began in 1861 he enlisted as a private soldier in Colonel Porter’s Missouri Regiment. He then assisted in recruiting for General M.E. Green’s Regiment of Missouri State Guards, in which command he was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant. In the desperate and bloody battle of Lexington, resulting in the surrender of the Federal Colonel Mulligan and his command, Lieutenant Whaley so distinguished himself in action that he was promoted to the rank of Captain. He was subsequently severely wounded in the ankle. In 1864 he was further promoted to the rank of Major in the Confederate States Army, but his wound incapacitated him for active field service, and he was practically retired. In 1896 Dr. Whaley was elected to the State Senate by the largest Democrative majority ever cast in the Sixteenth Senatorial District. His service in that body was conspicuous, and at every stage and in every emergency was in the interests of the people. He was active in his advocacy of the famous Anti-Trust Law, which he introduced, and which is known as “the Whaley Anti-Trust Law” and the purpose of which is to restrain the operations of largely capitalized corporations in their encroachments upon the ordinary business of citizens of the State, dealing in such lines and after such methods as may be carried on by individuals. He had the satisfaction of seeing this salutary measure pass both houses, receive the approval of the Governor and take its place in the Statutes of Missouri. Dr. Whaley had in charge one bill upon the success of which his heart was set, his naturally humane disposition and his professional knowledge of the urgent necessity therefor, moving him to his most strenuous effort. It was the bill providing for the proper care of epileptics and the feeble-minded. Largely through his efforts the measure was passed in the Senate and House, and the institution for which it provided is now one of the fixed humanitarian institutions of the State. Dr. Whaley is an uncompromising, old-time Democrat, firm and steadfast in his support of the principles of the party, and stopping at no personal sacrifice to advance its interests. He is an honored member of the Masonic fraternity. Dr. Whaley was married to Mrs. Fannie Decherd, in September 1867. They have buried one child and have one living. Three other children remain to them from Mrs. Whaley’s former marriage. Dr. Whaley continues the practice of his profession and makes opportunity, as well, to assist in furthering all worthy movements and purposes, whether public or private in their nature, and in all this praiseworthy endeavor he has the cordial and earnest approval of the estimable woman who presides over his home. -- Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901

WHALEY, John Calvin
Dr. John Calvin Whaley was born in Marion County, MO 1838. He enlisted in the Confederate Army in 1861 at the call of Governor Jackson and was commissioned Lieutenant. He was a Captain when
wounded and captured in Shelby County. Imprisoned at Palmyra, St. Louis and Alton. He escaped and rejoined Price in Mississippi. Volunteer aide to Gen. Green in the Iuka Springs skirmish. Went to New Mexico after the surrender and back to Osceola in 1875. -- Bitter Ground, by Kathleen White Miles



WHEELER, J. W.
Dr. J. W. Wheeler, merchant at Johnson City, was born in Dearborn County, Indiana, September 7, 1844, his parents being Captain Piercy and Jerusha Ann (Holiday) Wheeler. In July, 1862, when in his eighteenth year, J. W. enlisted in the Ninety-first Indiana volunteer infantry, and after nine months service he re-enlisted in the 105th regiment. After four months in this regiment he again re-enlisted in the 147th, and served till discharged in June, 1865. After his discharge he returned home and attended school at Moors' Hill College for two years and received a good education in the English branches. In the fall and winter of 1867 and 1868 he took a course of lectures at the Cincinnati Eclectic Medical College. Coming to Missouri in the spring of 1868, he commenced the practice of his profession at Hudson, Bates County. The following year he came to St. Clair County and located at Johnson City, and has since continued in the practice at this place. The Doctor has built up a large patronage and is accounted one of the most successful physicians in the county. He engaged in the drug business in 1870, and in 1878 he added a complete stock of general merchandise. He is identified with the Republican party; was elected township collector and collected the tax for two years. He owns about 1,300 acres of land in St. Clair County, about 600 acres of which are improved, besides considerable town property and land in Cedar County. He is extensively occupied in feeding cattle and hogs for the market. The doctor is a man of good business habits and qualifications, and has made what property he owns since coming to the county. He was married here December 8, 1870, to Miss Ariadnah Isabelle Peck, a daughter of John W.. Peck, of Greencastle, Indiana. They have two children: Glennie F. and Harry P. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, Missouri, 1883

WHILLOCK, John
John Whillock, proprietor of the National Hotel, and also the owner of a livery stable at Humansville, Polk County, Mo., was born in Washington County, East Tennessee, in 1827. His father, Enoch Whillock, was probably a native of Tennessee, and was married in that State to Miss Lucinda Irvin, who was of Irish descent, but was probably born in America. The father was a farmer by occupation, was a prominent politician, and a much respected citizen. He died in Jefferson County, Tenn., as did also the mother. They were the parents of twelve children, six sons and six daughters, John Whillock being fifth in order of birth. The paternal grandfather, John Whillock, was born in England, and emigrated to America, locating in Tennessee. The maternal gradparents were natives of Indiana, and emigrated to Tennessee, where they died in Washington County. John Whillock, the subject of this sketch, grew to manhood in Tennessee, and was there married to Miss Harriet E. Gilbreath, a native of Roane County, of that State, born in 1837. The emigrated to Missouri in 1856, locating three miles north of St. Clair County, but later came to Polk County, and have lived there ever since, with the exception of two years. During the Civil War Mr. Whillock took up arms in defense of his country, in the Fifteenth Missouri Cavalry, and served three years and four months. He received his discharge at Springfield, Mo., and still has the papers in his possession. He was at the battle of Big Blue, also in many others, and was in the battle of Newtonia just before he received his discharge. After the war he returned to his home, and farmed and kept hotel, commencing the latter business in 1863, and still continuing it at Humansville. He owns 472 acres of land in Polk and St. Clair Counties, and also owns considerable town property. He is a Republican in his political views. Mrs. H. Emaline Whillock is the daughter of Thomas and Sarah (Henry) Gilbreath. Thomas Gilbreath was a native of Scotland, who emigrated to America, locating in Tennessee, and there spent the remainder of his days. He was a powerful man physically, and was a prize-fighter or pugilist. While fighting in a ring in Tennessee he had a blood-vessel broken, and died from the effects. After this his wife went to the Louisiana Purchase, and was there married to a man by the name of Dunlap, and by whom she had ten children. She was the mother of two children by her union with Mr. Gilbreath, Mrs. Whillock being the younger of the two. The mother died in Tennessee. The paternal grandmother of Mrs. H. Emaline Whillock was a native of Ireland, who emigrated to America at an early date, and was among the pioneer settlers of Tennessee. He died in that State. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War. Mrs. Whillock was married in East Tennessee in 1856, but previous to her marriage had been engaged in the hotel business, which she has since followed, and with great success. She attends to all the business herself, and is a lady thoroughly qualified to fill that position in a satisfactory manner. Mrs. Whillock is now fifty-two years of age, and is pleasant and sociable in her intercourse with the public. She has with her, at the present time, the first hired hand she ever employed. She has two acres of land in the center of the town, and meditates turning it into an orphans' home. -- History Of Hickory, Polk, Cedar, Dade And Barton Counties, Missouri; 1889



WILKINSON, T. E.
 T. E. Wilkinson, farmer, section 11, was born in Warren County, Tennessee, February 28, 1836. His parents, Charles and Malissa (Cantrell) Wilkinson, were natives of South Carolina, and his great grandfather was a general in the Revolutionary war. When T. E. was about two years old the family moved to Missouri and located in Crawford County where they resided until he was sixteen years old, then going to Gasconade County. There he grew to manhood, receiving his education in the common schools. He followed farming in that county until 1870, when he came to St. Clair County. His present farm contains 170 acres of land. Mr. W. is a member of the Baptist Church and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity. November 25, 1860, he was married to Miss Sarah Walton, a native of Missouri. They have five children: Elizabeth M., George W., Mary M., Eliza B. and John T. They have lost two children. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WHITE, Charles M.
Charles M. White, of the firm of White Bros., druggists, is a native of Cedar County, Missouri, and was born April 15, 1855. When he was four years old the family removed to Morgan County, Missouri, where he was reared to manhood there also receiving his education. When seventeen years old he engaged in the drug business as clerk at Versailles, Missouri, where he remained one year. Then he held a like position at Otterville, Missouri, for two years. He subsequently went to Bonham, Texas, and after residing there one year, returned to Missouri and for two years made his home at Pilot Grove. Then he embarked in the drug trade at Houstonia, where he carried on business two years. The following year he spent as a commercial traveler for a Sedalia house. He removed to Colorado and was engaged in mining from the spring of 1879 to the spring of 188i, when he came to Appleton City, and with his brother purchased their present stock of drugs. They are now doing an excellent business. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

WHITE, M.C.
Mr. and Mrs. White were born in Anderson county, Ky., married January 10, 1850, and came to Missouri in 1853. Mrs. White is the daughter of Jeremiah Ford, who was a wealthy planter and slave owner of the county in which she was reared. She was educated at Lawrenceburg College in that State and has been a member of the Methodist church since 1858. Mr. White is a veteran of the Mexican war and also of the war of the rebellion. In the latter he served as first lieutenant under Generals Rains and Price. He also enjoys the distinction of being one of the oldest Masons in this part of the country. They have been residents of Appleton City for many years and have contributed much toward the betterment of our town and the elevation of mankind. -- Appleton City Journal, 28 March 1901



WHITE, Robertson
Robertson White, farmer and stock dealer and the owner of 500 acres of land, was born in Sussex County, New Jersey, June 13, 1813. He was the son of John White, of New Jersey, and his grandfather was born in Scotland, His mother was formerly Jane Robertson, daughter of Robert Robertson, of New Jersey. John White was in the war of 1812. He had a family of twelve children, of whom four sons and two daughters are now living. In 1815 the family moved to Guernsey County, Ohio, and thence to Muskingum County, where they remained for many years. In 1836 Robertson went to Knox County, Illinois, entered a farm and improved 160 acres. In 1850 he took a trip to California, working in the mines while there. In 1861 he moved to California with his family, and after remaining two years, the climate not agreeing with his wife's health, he sold out and returned by way of New York, arriving in Knox County May 1, 1864. In 1866 Mrs. W. died, leaving five children: Aaron, Henry, George, Francis and Hattie. In 1867 he married Charlotte Ramboe, of Pennsylvania, a daughter of George Ramboe. By this union they have five children: John, Stella, Elizabeth, Theodore and Stephen A. Douglas. Politically he is a Democrat. Mrs. White is a Presbyterian. He is a Mason. He now resides on section 32. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

WHITLEY, Herbert R.
Herbert Richard Whitley was born on 10 August 1870 and  died on 07 April 1955 in Independence, Jackson County, MO. He is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery as is his brother Elmer, and his adopted son Alba "Sam" Whitley, and his daughter Allene Whitley Tetu. He married Marjorie/Margery Alphadrine Whitley, who was born on 01 March 1847 in MO, died on her 83rd birthday, 01 March 1930 in Independence, Jackson Co. MO and is buried at Woodlawn Cemetery. -- Submitted by Trish Combs

WILLIAMS, Theodore O.
Theodore O. Williams, educator, lawyer, was born April 17, 1847, in Hannibal, Mo. In 1873 he was admitted to the bar, and is now a prominent lawyer of Osceola, Mo. He has been justice of the peace of Osceola; city attorney; and is now chairman of the democratic committee of that city. Prior to his engaging in law he taught school, and filled various public positions of trust in Windsor, Mo.  -- Herringshaw's Encyclopedia of American Biography of the Nineteenth Century, page 1016
 



WILSON, John S.
 John S. Wilson, dealer in general merchandise at Chalk Level, was born in Warsaw, Benton County, Missouri, January 26, 1848. and was a son of Dr. Joel Y. Wilson, a native of Kentucky, whose father, John D. Wilson, was a Virginian by birth and of Irish ancestry. The mother of John S. was formerly Mary Burch, a native of Virginia. John S. was the eldest of a family of six children. He grew to manhood in his native county and was there educated, being for many years engaged as clerk in different localities. He was for three years conductor on the Louisville & Nashville Railroad. In 1880 he located in Chalk Level, having previously been engaged in business at Appleton City for two years. He now carries a stock of drugs and other articles of merchandise and is doing a good business. He is a member of the I. O. O. F. Mr. Wilson was first married to Miss Fannie Campbell, a native of Missouri, who died August 4, 1870, leaving two children: Annie and William Y. He was again married February 8, 1873, to Miss Annie Van Allen, originally from New York. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WINCHESTER, Josephus
 Josephus Winchester, section 4, was born August 4, 1815, in Guilford County, North Carolina, his parents being William and Margaret (Witty) Winchester, natives of the same state. In 1830 the family removed to Kentucky and located in Callaway County. Josephus, the second son of five sons and seven daughters, spent his youth on a farm in that county, and was married May 14, 1839, to Miss Nancy Ann Rayburn, a daughter of John Rayburn. She was a native of Stewart County, Tennessee, but removed to Kentucky when a child and there grew to maturity. Mr. Winchester, after his marriage, resided in Kentucky about eleven years, coming to Missouri in 1850, and locating in St. Clair County. Here he bought land and improved the farm where he now resides, it containing 300 acres with about 100 under fence. He has nine children: Newton L., Eliza J. (widow of S. Hoover), Melinda (wife of C. Weir), Emily (wife of Lee Carroll), Rebecca (wife of D. L. Herndon), James J., Margaret (wife of C. S. Reding), William W. and E. C. Mr. and Mrs. Winchester are members of the Baptist Church. The former belongs to the Masonic fraternity. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WINGFIELD, John S.
 John S. Wingfield, was born in March, 1816, in Virginia, his parents being Christopher and Nancy (Stockton) Wingfield, also Virginians by birth, who were married in 1814. The former was born in 1788, and the latter in 1793. John S. the eldest of ten children, was brought up in the county of his birth, and lived at home principally until his marriage, in 1847, to Miss Harriet M. Bondurant. They have had ten children: Mary F, Christopher T., Millard F., Nancy J., Sarah E., Susan L., Charles P., Harriet M., and James M., and of this number three have died. In 1859 Mr. W. came to St. Clair County, locating in Collins Township, where he has since lived, gaining for himself an enviable reputation. The Republican party, recognizing his ability, nominated him for the position of county judge, but the Democratic party being in the majority, he failed to be elected. Mr. Wingfield's farm, one of the best to be found in the eastern part of the county, consists of 210 acres on the Weaubleau Creek. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WINTERS, Alonzo C.
 Alonzo C. Winters, plasterer at Lowry City, was born in Pike County, Illinois, March 20, 1858, and was the son of Benjamin B. and Emeline (Cobb) Winters, the former a native of Ohio and the latter of New York. Alonzo was reared in his native state and was there educated. His father was a plasterer by trade and the son worked with him in Illinois until 1877, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity. March 13, 1881, Mr. Winters was married to Miss Lula Gracy, a native of Indiana. They have one child, Irving B. Mr. and Mrs. Winters belong to the M. E. Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WISNER, John A.
 John A. Wisner was born May 3, 1837, and was a native of Canton Basel, Switzerland, where his parents, Adam and Catharine Wisner, were also born, the former in October, 1811, and the latter March 23, 1817. They were married April 6, 1836, and had seven sons and six daughters. and of this number two sons and three daughters have died. Emigrating to America in 1843, they first settled in Virginia, purchasing 100 acres of land and remaining upon it for four years. In 1847 Mr. W. sold this property, went to Sciota County, Ohio, and three years later removed to Van Buren County, Iowa, where he bought a forty acre tract. After residing in Iowa about six years, he came to Cooper County, Missouri, in the spring of 1859, and in 1860 to St. Clair County. He bought 160 acres of land in this township, but in two years exchanging places. secured one of 170 acres in Osceola Township, where he lived until his death, July 30, 1871. His widow now resides with one of her sons in this township. John A. Wisner, our subject, was married April 1, 1860, to Miss Lora Clark, of Van Buren County, Iowa. They have eight children: Joseph, born January 29, 1861; Sarah, born September 1, 1862, (wife of George W. Garrison, of this county); Martha A., born March 20, 1864; Laura and Lora, (twins) born April 29, 1867; Jessie, born December 17, 1869; Jeremiah, born May 16, 1872, and Adam Clark, born January 30, 1875. In 1866 Mr. Wisner purchased a farm of eighty-two acres in Polk Township, upon which he still resides. In 1876 he was nominated and elected to the position of magistrate, and was re-elected in 1878 and again in 1880, still holding that office. Mrs. W. and five children are members of the M. E. Church. He is a Democrat. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WONACOTT, P. B.
P. B. Wonacott, school teacher, was born in Cass County, Illinois, in 1853, and was the son of K. B. Wonacott, who was married in 1841 to Margaret Bell, of Virginia. They were the parents of eight children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the eighth in number. He remained at home until at the age of twenty-three years, when he entered school at Weaubleau Institute, remaining there for two years, and then left thoroughly prepared for the duties of teaching. On May 9, 1848, Mr. W. married Miss Nannie J. McConnell, daughter of Joseph McConnell. They have two children, Maggie and Lawson. He is a Greenbacker in his political faith and a member of the M. E. Church. He is at present teaching school in this township. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WOODALL, I. M.
I. M. Woodall, county treasurer and one of the most worthy and popular officials of St. Clair County, was born in St. Clair County, Missouri, in May, 1845, and was the son of Christopher Woodall, of Virginia, who came to this state in 1840. The mother of I. M. was formerly Margaret Simms, who was born in Virginia, and died in 1847. Mr. W. died in 1858. They left six children, of whom our subject is the youngest. He made the best use of his limited opportunities for acquiring an education in youth. He now owns a farm of 265 acres on section 21, in Collins Township. He was collector under the township organization, and has been a leading citizen in the township and county for many years. In 1882 he was elected county treasurer, and entered upon the duties of his office January 1, 1883. He enlisted in the Fifteenth Missouri Cavalry, Company M. for two years, and was mustered out at Springfield, Missouri, July 17, 1865. Mr. Woodall married Miss Minnie Fletcher in 1867. She was the daughter of Nathan and Sarah (Barnett) Fletcher, of Georgia. They have four children: John D., William, Sarah Margaret and James Francis. Mr. W. is a Democrat and a member of the Baptist Church. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WOOLF, John J. C.
 John J. C. Woolf was born in Caldwell County, Kentucky, on the 20th of June, 1817, his father being Alfred Woolf, of the same county, born July 26, 1784. He was married in 1812, his wife, a Kentuckian by birth, having been born in 1786. John J. C. Woolf was united in marriage in 1836 to Miss Ellen Bigs, a daughter of Elisha Bigs, of the same county as himself. Soon after emigrating to Missouri, he located near Warsaw, Benton County, and upon living there for two or three years, in 1840 came to St. Clair County and settled, where he now resides, upon Weaubleau Creek. By his first marriage he had one child, a son, Henry Clay, now living in Livingston County. He was married a second time, in St. Clair County. to Miss Elizabeth Stealy, daughter of Jack Stealy, July 20, 1840. His third wife was Sealy M. Wade, to whom he was married in 1876. In 1856 Mr. Woolf purchased a mill on Weaubleau, known as Woolf's Mill, and successfully operated it during the war and after for twenty years. During the course of the civil war he remained neutral, taking no part on either side, and by his uniform courtesy and gentlemanly bearing was unmolested. He is now the owner of 1,080 acres of very fine land situated in the bottoms of Weaubleau. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WRIGHT, C. W.
 C. W. Wright, merchant at Iconium, is a native of Washington County, Kentucky, and was born August 14, 1851, being the son of Nathaniel and Elizabeth Wright, who were married October 11, 1831. The former was born October 14, 1806, and the latter October 11, 1813, and they were the parents of twelve children, six sons and six daughters, of whom all but one son are living. C. W. Wright attended the State Normal Institution at Warrensburg, Johnson County, Missouri, where he received a good education, and after leaving the school was engaged in teaching for a few terms. In 1877 he accepted a situation as salesman at Lowry City, the style of the firm being J. P. Wright & Co., in which capacity he served for three years. Being desirous of engaging in business on his own account, he selected a site, and for eighteen months has been enjoying a fine general merchandise trade, in the southern part of this township. His present place of business was opened January 6, 1882. His stock is a complete one, and he richly merits the success which has thus far attended his career. He is acting as magistrate and is very popular in this community. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WRIGHT, Edwin
 Edwin Wright, farmer and stock deafer, section 5, was born in Licking County, Ohio, June 10, 1840. His parents were William S. and Samantha (Stedman) Wright, natives of Massachusetts. A colony had emigrated from Granville, Massachusetts, and located in Licking County, Ohio, when William Wright was about six years of age, hence the name of Granville, Ohio. Edwin was reared and educated in his native county, and there engaged in farming till 1859, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he resided till 1861, then returning to Ohio. He went from there with a number of men and enlisted in Company D, Thirteenth Missouri, which was afterward changed to the Twenty-second Ohio. He remained in service fourteen months, holding the position of corporal. In the fall of 1863 he went to Coles County, Illinois, and in the summer of 1865 came to St. Clair County, Missouri, where he has since followed his present occupation, having a landed estate of 880 acres. His farm is one of the best improved in this vicinity, and upon it is located a commodious and convenient residence, and one of the best barns in the county. On his farm is a number of medical springs, equal to those of Eldorado, his nearest trading point. He has also a very fine stone quarry equal to any in the state. July 27, 1864, Mr. Wright was married to Miss Fannie Bartlett, a native of Indiana. She was born in February, 1843, being a daughter of Charles and Emeline Bartlett, the former of New Hampshire and the latter of Kentucky. The family of Mr. and Mrs. W. consists of three children, Charles E., Maud and George S. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WRIGHT, George W.
George W. Wright, merchant at Lowry City, is a native of Washington County, Kentucky, and was born July 4, 1844, being the son of Morgan Wright, a Kentuckian by birth, whose father, William P. Wright, was one of the pioneers of Kentucky, and a revolutionary soldier. The mother of George W., formerly Elizabeth Hickerson, was also born in Kentucky. The subject of this sketch was the sixth of a family of nine children. He grew to manhood on his father's farm, and was educated in the common schools. In October, 1861, he enlisted in Morgan's company, and was in the service until 1863. After this he returned to Kentucky and followed farming until 1865, when he began the study of medicine with Dr. J W Wright. He read with him one year, and then attended one course of lectures at Miami Medical College at Cincinnati. Returning to Kentucky he remained until 1870, when he came to St. Clair County, Missouri. In 1871 he built the first business house in Lowry City, and engaged in trade. He carries a full stock of drugs, groceries, etc., and is doing a good business. He is also proprietor of tile Wright House, an excellent hotel. Mr. W. was township clerk six years. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. fraternity. November 21, 1872, he married Miss Jennie G. Shinn, of this county. They have three children, Lillia, Minnie M. and Franklin P. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WRIGHT, James Polk
 James Polk Wright, M.D., was born in Washington County, Kentucky, December 23, 1844. His parents were Nathaniel and Matilda (Moore) Wright, natives of Virginia. James Polk grew to manhood in his native county and there received the advantages of the common schools. He was engaged in farming till 1866, when he embarked in merchandising in High Grove, Kentucky, and at the same time was occupied in reading medicine with his brother, Dr. J. W. Wright. After this he was graduated from the medical department of the University of Louisville, Kentucky. In 1871 he located at Lowry City, where he has since been interested in the practice of his profession, and he is recognized as being one of the leading citizens of that vicinity. He Is also the senior member of the firm of J. P. Wright & Co., merchants of Lowry City. He belongs to the Baptist Church, and also to the Masonic fraternity. December 14, 1879, Dr. W. was married to Miss Emma Hubner, a native of Ohio. They have one child: Walter E. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WRIGHT, John W.
 Dr. John W. Wright, was born December 20, 1836, in Washington County, Kentucky. His father, Nathaniel Wright, was born October 14, 1806, and on October 11, 1831, married Miss Elizabeth Parker, daughter of Richard and Elizabeth Parker, she was born October 11, 1813, in Culpeper County, Virginia. John W., the second child and oldest son in the family, received a good education in youth, attending the Georgetown College at Georgetown, Kentucky, where he graduated in the class of 1861. Entering the Medical College of Kentucky at Louisville, he graduated in 1863, and in 1864 was a graduate from the Louisville University, having been a member of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of that institution. He first commenced the practice of his profession at Louisville, but after remaining there one year, went to High Grove in 1865, where he had an extensive patronage for four years. April 1, 1868, he married Miss Amanda Rouse, a daughter of William A. and Amanda Rouse, of Bullitt County, Kentucky, and they have two daughters: Nancy A., born April 19, 1869, and Matilda B., born August 28, 1875. In 1870 Dr. W. purchased a tract of eighty acres of land in Jackson Township, St. Clair County, Missouri, and devoted some attention to agricultural pursuits and the raising of stock. He added, from time to time to his original purchase until he is now the owner of 1,200 acres of excellent land, several hundred acres of which are under fence and well adapted for fine stock raising to which he is giving considerable interest. In 1880 he represented this county in the state legislature and since his return has resumed his practice, which is very extensive and constantly on the increase. The doctor is a man well versed in his profession, kind and gentle to the sick and affable in his manners. He belongs to both the A.F.&A.M. and A.O.U.W. fraternities. Politically he is Democratic. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883



WRIGHT, Nathaniel P.
 Nathaniel P. Wright, M.D., a native of Washington County, Kentucky, was born May 1, 1849, and was the son of Nathaniel Wright of the same county. born October 14, 1806, who on October 11, 1831, married Miss Elizabeth Parker, who was born in Culpeper County, Virginia, October 11, 1813. Of their original family of twelve children eleven are now living: Elizabeth V., John W., Amanda F., Missouri, James K. P., Kitty H., C. W., Alice A., Anna E., Albert S., and of this number the subject of this sketch was the fifth son and eighth child. One son, Thomas J., a graduate of the medical college at Louisville, died in his native state. Nathaniel P., was educated at his birthplace, and also an attended the medical college at Louisville, where he graduated in the class of 1875-76. In 1868 the senior Wright, with his family, emigrated to St. Clair County, Missouri, settling first in Jackson and later in Polk Township. The Doctor was married November 1, 1876, to Marietta Sheldon, daughter of Albert B. and Eliza (Gardner) Sheldon, of this township, They have three children: Leo S., born December 6, 1877; Julia, born August 27, 1879; and Ethel, born January 9, 1882. Though commencing his practice against a strong and well established competition. Dr. Wright has met with flattering success, and to a patronage which he richly deserves, it extending beyond the limits of St. Clair County, into Hickory and Benton. The first mill in this locality was erected on a part of his present farm. He owns 350 acres of land and has had great success in the raising of wheat. He is a member of the Mt. Olivet Baptist Church, Henry County, and also belongs to the A.F.&A.M., and A.O.U.W. fraternities. Politically he is a Democrat. His wife is connected with the M. E. Church, South, of Bear Creek. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

WRIGHT, W.J.
Superintendent of Public Schools. Prof. Wright is a practical demonstration of the fact that labor brings a sure reward. Although a young man he has worked himself to the position of leader in his profession. He was born at Stiles, Davis County, Ia., Jan. 27, 1871. With his parents he removed to central Kansas in 1873, where he attended the country schools and Windom High School. Having completed the course in that school he went west, spending some time in Pueblo, Colo., in the employ of a daily newspaper the "Pueblo Chieftain," as collector. Later he learned the photographic art and engaged in that business in Denver for two years after which he sold his gallery and removed to California. For one year he was employed as first cook in a public hospital at Santa Rosa, Cal. His leisure hours were spent in study and at the close of the year's work he entered a Free Will Baptist College at Hillsdale, Mich. He came to St. Clair County in 1893 and taught his first term of school in the Liberty district near Iconium. Mr. Wright was married to Miss Ethel White, of Taberville, Mo., Feb. 10, 1895, and two children, Gertrude, aged 5, and Ialene, aged 3, now bless their happy home. He has been teaching in the schools of the county every year since, during which time he has been county commissioner of schools four years and has been superintendent of the Appleton City public schools the past two years. His success has been uniform and it has come through his untiring efforts. He is known to be one of the most careful and painstaking teachers in the State, and, being earnest, industrious and conscientious in all his school work, we may safely state that our public schools will be properly directed. -- Appleton City Journal, 28 March 1901



WRIGHT, William P.
Rev. William P. Wright, pastor of the Wright Creek Baptist Church, was born in Lincoln County, Missouri December 15, 1830, his parents being William Wright, originally of Washington County, Kentucky, born in 1808, and Ann (Thomas) Wright, also a Kentuckian by birth, born in 1812. They were married in 1830, and have seven children living: William P., Elizabeth P., Morgan, Martin V., Nancy J., Milton F., and Henry F. One son, Thomas J., died in June, 1875. Coming to Missouri the senior Wright settled in Lincoln County in 1830, and after remaining there four years moved to this county (then Rives) and located in Jackson Township, where he entered eighty acres of land from the government. In 1840 selling out he bought 160 acres in Butler Township, but disposed of this in 1849 and purchased eighty acres in this township, where he remained until his death, February 15, 1854. Mrs. Wright, after being a widow for two years, married James Addington, of this county, and died in 1867. The subject of this sketch when a boy had limited advantages for acquiring an education, and being a great lover of books he was determined to prepare himself for a life of usefulness. While applying his mind to mathematics and somewhat to the sciences, he took a deep interest in the study of the Bible, and later became well versed in its truths and doctrines, which he at once put in practice. He was licensed to preach in 1854, and in 1855 was ordained a Baptist preacher by Revs. Peter Brown and James Cole, of this county. Since his ordination he has been pastor of different churches, and has been occupied in missionary work, in the old path association. His farm in section 8 contains 160 acres. He is actively engaged in farming and has done much surveying, being well learned in the principles of that science. His wife and five of his children are members of Wright Creek Church. Mr. W. married Miss Elizabeth Crabtree, of Benton County, December 18, 1850. They have eight children living: Columbus born October 24, 1851, and died August 31, 1852, Missouri A., Andrew E., W. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

WRIGHT, William Patterson
Reverend William Patterson Wright, pastor of the Wright's Creek Baptist Church, was born in Lincoln County, Missouri, December 15, 1830. His father was William Wright, born in 1808 in Washington County, Kentucky, and his mother was Miss Ann Thomas, born in 1812 in Kentucky. William Wright and Ann Thomas were married in 1830. Their children: William Patterson Wright (Dec. 18, 1830 - June 23, 1905), Elizabeth P. Wright, Martin Van Buren Wright (May 1844 - Oct. 12, 1922), Nancy J. Wright, Milton F. Wright, Henry F. Wright and Thomas Wright (died June 1875). Coming to Missouri, the Senior Wright, settled in Lincoln County in 1830 and remained there for four years.  He came to St. Clair County in 1834 and located in Jackson Township, where he entered eighty acres of land from the government in 1840. Selling out, he bought 160 acres in Butler Township, which he sold in 1849. He then purchased eighty acres in Jackson township, where he died February 15, 1854. Mrs. Ann Wright, after being a widow for two years, married James Addington, of St. Clair county. She died in 1867. The Reverend William P. Wright, when a boy had limited advantages for acquiring an education, and being a great lover of books, he was determined to prepare himself for a life of usefulness. While applying his mind to mathematics and somewhat to the sciences, he took a deep interest in the study of the Bible and later became well-versed in its truths and doctrines, which he at once put in practice. He was licensed to preach in 1854, and in 1855, was ordained a Baptist preacher by Rev. Peter Brown and James Cole, of St. Clair County. After ordination, he was pastor of different churches and was occupied in missionary work in the Old Path Association. His wife and five of his children are members of the Wright's Creek Baptist Church. Reverend Wright married Miss Elizabeth Crabtree, of Benton County, on December 18, 1850. Their children were: Columbus (Oct. 24, 1851 - Aug. 31, 1852), Missouri A., Andrew E., W.L.D. (William Lorenzo Dahl), Mary C., Almeta A., Rebeccsa E., Tatum A., and Centennial V. His farm in section 8, Jackson Township, contains 160 acres. He was actively engaged in farming and did much surveying, being well learned in the principles of that science. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and also belonged to the Patrons of Husbandry. He was a Democrat.  -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883, page 1156-67

Wright, William P.
Wright's Creek Baptist Church organizations Feb. 1866, by Rev. W.P. Wright and Rev. C.V. Maddox. Rev. Wright, Pastor. Prairie Grove Baptist Church organization effected April 1868, by Rev. Thomas Briggs and Rev. W.P. Wright. The following is an excerpt from the minutes of the 39th Annual Session of the Old Path Association of Baptist Churches held with the Church at Wright's Creek, August 24, 25 and 26, 1905, the year of Rev. Wright's death: "After the Civil War, Rev. Wright engaged in independent mission work and in two years, organized and reorganized the following churches: Cedar Grove, Hogle's Creek, Richwood and L.P. Union in Benton County; Wright's Creek, Prairie Grove and Hopewell in St. Clair County and Peaceful Home in Henry County. He worked as independent missionary for 25 years in the counties of St. Clair, Benton, Hickory, Camden, Dallas and Polk." Rev. Wright was actively engaged in ministerial work for fifty years, only giving up the work of his calling after having a paralytic stroke which greatly affected his speech. -- History of St. Clair Co., Missouri, 1883

 


HOME