This is the old Church of the Brethren
(Dunkard) and congregation, located at Pleasant Mound..
CHURCH OF THE BRETHREN
Located at Pleasant Mound Cemetery, NE of Osceola.
History from St Clair Courier-Appleton City
15 December 1988,
(Part of article contributed by Teresa Walker)
The little Church of the Brethren northeast of Osceola, Missouri owes its
beginning to Thomas Jefferson Simmons and Rosa Ann
The Simmons and Cripe families were Dunkards of long standing. When the
in St. Clair County needed a preacher in 1882, they
advertised in the church paper and Thomas Jefferson Simmons was called from
Tennessee as a “temporary” minister until an older more experienced man
could be found. This man was the only preacher they would have for the
51 years. He soon married Rosa Ann Cripe and
they served the church faithfully.
When Rosa’s parents died, T. J. Simmons bought out the other heirs. He gave
the piece of
land for the church and cemetery to his congregation. His
sister, Rachael Simmons Henderson
visiting from Tennessee, was the first
burial in the cemetery which is now known as
Pleasant Mound Cemetery.
Submitted by Mary Zeiler