BRUSH CREEK BAPTIST CHURCH
Taken from Church Records:
History of Brush Creek Baptist Church 1887-1987
On March 22, 1987, a council met consisting of Elder J. M. Freeman of
Elder W. F. Shackleford of Roscoe Church, (Then Missionary
of St. Clair County Association),
Elder J. W. Cline of Concord Church, Elder
P.W. Powell and Bro. Mayfield. Visiting Brethren: Deacons, J. D. Glinn of
Coon Creek Church, John Higgins, Bro. J. C. Capps, William Strain
Dikes of Mt. Enon Church (with other brethren and sisters), Deacon M.P. Pace
and others of Ashworth Church.
After singing and prayers, a sermon was preached by J. M. Freeman. The
council then organized
by choosing J. D. Glinn, Chairman and W. F.
Shackleford as clerk.
After considering the propriety of constructing a Baptist Church at the Witt
School House in Washington Township of St. Clair County, Missouri, sixteen
brothers and sisters presented
themselves on their letters and by relation
and on promise of letters.
The church covenant, articles of faith and rules of order were read and
adopted after which the
council, by vote, organized as a Baptist Church.
Opportunity was then given for the reception of candidates by baptism when
themselves by their experience: Mary C. Ellerman, Mary
Ellerman, Garrett Ellerman,
Francis Branson and Fannie Renison..
Names of those that went into the organization:
Deacon John Renison, by letter from Ashworth Church
Ann Renison, by letter from Ashworth Church
John D. DeShazo, by letter from Mt. Enon Church
Martha DeShazo, by letter from Mt. Enon Church
Lenora Ellerman, by letter from Mt. Enon Church
Eliza Branson, joined by letter from Mt. Enon Church later George Branson
Rena Roberts Thomas Bristoe Mahala Bristoe William Capps, by
letter from Coon Creek
Church Rebecca Capps, by letter from Coon Creek
Church W. M. Clay, by relation, Nancy Clay,
First pastor was Bro. W. F. Shackleford from 1887 to his resignation in 1892
Elder W. S. Birdsong was chosen pastor. Through the following years,
many other pastors
filled the pulpit, including:
G. L. Hanson,
T. J. Casey,
T. M. S. Mead,
I. N. Pace,
J. M. Freeman,
James N. Jeffries,
W. F. Pace,
C. A. Wynes,
C. J. Bybee,
On February 7, 1932, the Brush Creek Building built in 1910 burned down.
was chosen to get an estimate on a new building, consisting of J. W.
Roy Burton and Frank DeShazo.
The new building was finished and dedicated in July, 1932.
Contributed by Eleanor Jones
According to the St. Clair County Cemetery Book,
St. Clair Co. Historical Society, Brush Creek Baptist was established in