Church of God (Holiness), Lowry City, Mo. - Submitted by Mary Zeiler, June
Submitted by Mary Zeiler, June 2009
CHURCH OF GOD (HOLINESS)
Lowry City, Missouri
Partial History from Lowry City Centennial Book 1871-1971:
After moving into the Lowry City community in 1944 and having no Church of
Church, the R.O. Scott family decided to start a church.
Services were conducted in their home
in the Valley Center community until
August 1944 when an evangelistic tent was pitched in a
vacant lot back of
the Bunch Hardware, with Rev. Charles Mitchell as the Evangelist. After a
several week revival, the old South Methodist Church was purchased for
Clayton Bunch had purchased the building and had started to convert
it into a dwelling house.
Extensive remodeling was required to make a
A business meeting was called in which Rev. M.L. Smith, Appleton City, gave
address and acted as chairman. Ed King was elected Secretary and
Treasurer. R.O. Scott was
elected Pastor. Deacons were Elsie Broadhurst,
Forest Bourland and Donovan Scott.
Trustees were Forest Bourland, Ed King
and R.O. Scott.
Charter members were R.O., Hazel, Donovan, Robert, Ruth, Ruby, Noel,
and David Scott, R.D. Bertha and Creighton McCarthy, Forest, Merle and
Ronnie Bourland, Mr. & Mrs. Ed King, Lille Matlock, Essie Broadhurst, Viola
In 1958, it was decided to build a new church. One half block of land was
1st & Mahan from Palmer Crawford for $750. In September 1958,
ground was broke and work
was begun. The head carpenter was Lester Reasoner,
Overland Park, Kansas. Dedication was
April 19, 1959.
Submitted by Mary Zeiler