St. Clair County Missouri
Churches

 

 


Cooks Chapel Church


Rev. Joseph Beaty, an evangelist, on the step of the
Original Cook's Chapel Church Building.


Rev. Thomas A. Cook, left; Rev Marion Scott,
an early (possibly first) pastor.

COOK’S CHAPEL CHURCH

History: The Church of God (Holiness) was first introduced to the Lewis neighborhood
west of Osceola, Missouri by a traveling evangelist, Rev. Thomas A. Cook.
A revival meeting was held in a brush arbor near the present Cook’s Chapel Church in
approximately 1909. From that humble beginning to the present time the work of the
Church of God (Holiness) has continued. However, during the early years services were
held in homes, the Lewis schoolhouse and other brush arbors.

In 1928 an acre of land was sold by Edward W. Bourland and Laura Bourland, husband and wife,
for the purpose of constructing a church building. Early church records are not available
so the exact date of dedication is not known. The church was named Cook’s Chapel in honor of
Rev. Thomas A. Cook, the first Church of God (Holiness) minister to preach in the neighborhood.

The first deacons were Harry Bourland, Marion Collins and Charlie Wilcox.

On March 4, 1956 a grass fire got out of control and the church burned to the ground.
Soon plans were underway to rebuild on the exact site of the original building. In a few months
the new building was completed and ready for services.

For almost a century the Cook’s Chapel Church has ministered to people in this area.

Submitted by: Jane Cole, February 2006

HOME