St. Clair County Missouri
Churches

 

 

THE LOG CHURCH
Dallas Township

From History of St Clair County 1883:

There was a log church building erected especially for religious services on the southwest
quarter of the northeast quarter of section 29. This was probably the first exclusive church
building erected in the county outside of Osceola. There was an earlier church organization
in the county, but not a church building.

The first ministers to hold religious services in Dallas Township were the Rev. Marcus Monroe,
Baptist and the Rev. Daniel Murphy. These earnest men preached throughout the whole eastern
part of the country from Henry to Hickory, Benton and Polk counties. No church buildings then,
but the cabin of the settler became the sanctuary of the Lord.

The first resident minister was the Rev Christopher Woodall, of the Baptist Denomination.

(Photo of this building welcomed)

Submitted by Mary Zeiler

HOME