St. Clair County Missouri
Churches

 

 


Quasquicentennial Book 1870-1995


Quasquicentennial Book 1870-1995

**

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
Appleton City, Mo.

Early History from Appleton City Centennial Book 1870-1970

The First Baptist Church of Appleton City was organized November 13, 1875, with the
following 24 charter members: Quinton Browning, R.W.F. Browning, F.P. Browning, W.D. Ewing,
E. Lampkin, E. G. Stout, W. B. Stout, J. W. Talbot, S. Talbot, Mrs. M. L. Browning,
Mrs. G. C. Burge, Mrs. A.H. Ewing, Mrs. Sue Jackson, Mrs. Lois Morse, Mrs. S.C. Rood,
Mrs. Elizabeth French, Mrs. H. R. Talbot, Mrs. Martha Tathwell, Mrs. W. D. Thayer,
Mrs. Minerva Beckwith, Mrs. Harriet Weatherby and Mrs. Rebecca Watson.

According to the 1883 History of Henry and St. Clair Counties, Samuel Victor served as
the first pastor.

The congregation dedicated their first building in the fall of 1881. That church was replaced
with a modern, brick building, dedicated January 15, 1961.

Submitted by: Mary Zeiler

**

St. Clair County History, 1883:

This church was organized in 1874, and its first list of members contains the following names:
L. Talbot, F. Browning, C. Howell, W.D. Walbridge, Sidney Talbot, George W. Troup,
W. Stout, C. Scott, Charles Burge, Dr. E.C. Kinchelo, Mrs. G. Burge, S. Talbot,
H. Wetherby, S. Rood, E. French, S. Harding, A. Walbridge, J.B. Milburn and Mrs. H. Harvey.

This was a good beginning, and since then the church has grown until it now numbers sixty-three
members. Brother Samuel Victor served as pastor three years, and Brother Israel Tompkins
one year, 1882. The church is a handsome frame building, put up in 1880 at a cost of $1,500.
The Sunday School connected with this church is progressing finely, with an attendance of
fifty-five scholars, William B. Stout being its loving and able superintendent.
 


Appleton City, Mo.
April 2006


Submitted by: Cheryl Bell

HOME