HARMONY BAPTIST CHURCH
St. Clair Co., Mo.
Early history from Appleton City Quasquicentennial Book 1870-1995
The Harmony Baptist Church was organized in 1868 and began services on or
same place where the present building is located. In research it
was found that the years 1860,
1866 and 1869 were also mentioned in
associational and state records.
But the 1868 date appears to be the most
accurate year as in 1871 the Missouri Baptist General Association Annual
gives few facts about all of the Baptist Churches associated with that
convention. The information given is that Harmony Baptist Church, St. Clair
County, was organized
in 1868 with seven constituent members.
Also, given in
the 1933 St. Clair Baptist Associational Annual, was the same date and same
number of Charter Members, along with the first service being held near the
still standing as of April 1, 1995.
The present building was built in 1898 after fire destroyed the original
building in 1895-1896.
On April 19, 1916, according to Shelby Purvis and the Appleton City
a tornado struck the area, lifting the church building
off its foundation
Emergency repair of the south side of the present building was necessary due
to a fire
December 28, 1941
The first pastor was J. P. Lawton and one of the first clerks, if not the
first, was Joseph Scott,
Johnson City. There is no record of charter member
names. Early member names include:
Lawton, Scott, Allinson, Mount,
Shoemaker, Carpenter, Williamson, Lukenbill, Berry,
Clardy, and many others.
Harmony Baptist Church and Harmony Cemetery are located approximately 14
and south of Appleton City.
Submitted by Mary Zeiler