Search billions of records on


St. Clair County Missouri




Partial history from Lowry City Centennial Book 1871-1971:

The High Hill Baptist Church was organized January 1st 1898 with eighteen members,
namely W.K. and Elizabeth Henderson, F.M. and Emma Page, G.W. and M.J. Speckelmeier,
John and Emma Lack, L. & D. Walker, R.M. and Celia Kelley, H.C. Replogle, Susan Stewart,
A.J. Thompson, Etta Lyon and Lucy Snyder.

The first meeting of the church was held in the school house about a mile east of the present
church building. Rev. W.K. Henderson was the first pastor of the church.

The present church building was erected in 1903 and 1904. It is located on Route CC,
four miles southeast of Lowry City. The cost of the building was $700. Most of the labor was donated and S.H. Lyon gave the land for the church.

The first service was held in the new church in October 1904. Rev. William Love was
pastor at this time.

On June 30th, 1907, the church building and premises, being free of debt, was dedicated
to the worship of God. At this time the membership had grown to 60.

Submitted by: Mary Zeiler

High Hill Baptist Church, 2007