Lowry City United Methodist Church
Lowry City, Mo.
History from Lowry City Quasquicentennial Book 1871-1996:
Some of the early settlers of the village, “Pride of the Prairie” were
anxious to have a place
to worship. A group of these settlers consisting of
William Hook, B.H. Woodbury.
George Houk and son Henry, met in Woodbury Hall
in 1865 and organized the
Methodist Episcopal Church.
Shortly after the organization of the church, W.H. Hillegas, Frank Hubbard,
and other families settled near Lowry City and in 1878 the
church was built at a cost of $900.00.
At first they had no musical instruments and singing was led by Henry Houk
using a tuning fork.
Later an organ was purchased and Miss Alice Pertle was
organist, followed by Effie Hillegas,
Belle Frances and others. In 1908 the
church was remodeled with Charles Hillegas and
John Wyland as carpenters.
The Methodist Church, South was organized and deed recorded in Book 21, page
Recorders Office, Osceola, Mo., dated May 18, 1885. John H. Lucas in
William T. Johnson, G. Whitelow Shield and Susie B. Shield, his
wife, gave the deed.
In 1939, the two churches of Lowry City became one in the unification of the
of Methodism and the Methodist Episcopal Church, South
building was sold.
Because the church could not adequately serve the people of the community, a
program was begun in April 1953. This included remodeling of the
sanctuary, an addition of a basement, fellowship hall, classrooms and a
On January 19, 1956, Bishop Ivan Lee Holt dedicated the building.
As a celebration of the building in 1956, the congregation held its first
Ground Hog Supper,
which has become the annual fund raiser for improvement
and upkeep of the property,
plus a donation to the Bishop’s Scholarship Fund
at Central Methodist College, Fayette, Mo.
In 1968, the Evangelical United Brethren and the Methodist Churches united
church is now the United Methodist Church.
Submitted by Mary Zeiler