History of Henry and St. Clair Counties, 1883
After the close of the war, in 1865, this church was organized with Thomas
Mrs. Anna Johnson, E.J. Smith, Dr. D.C. McNiel, William W. Johnson, Mary
E.M. Westfall, Susan Reese, G.H. Whitaker and wife, L.N. Davis and wife,
Landes, John Stockman, Mary J. Landes, Bidkah Jones and wife, George
wife, and Mary F. and Susan A. Outhwaight as its original members.
The present membership is forty, and the pastors have officiated in the
order given here:
Rev. D.C. McNiel, Rev. A.R. Nichols, Rev. Gascorn, Rev. A.Y. Graham, Rev.
Smith, Rev. C.H. Wooley nd Rev. E.J. Hunt. The Rev. C.H. Wooley died in the
year of his pastorate, and on April 28, 1879.
They erected a very handsome frame church at a cost of $2,500, but teh year
was not stated.
The Sabbath School has about 100 pupils, a union school and about equally
the superintendency of Levi A. Mentzer, and is in a very flourishing
condition under his
able management. The pastors have been earnest and efficient in the
discharge of their
The ladies of the church purchased two
lots, paying $225 each, through their own
exertions, and deserve credit for their unselfish work.