St. Clair County Missouri
Churches

 

 

OHIO CHRISTIAN CHURCH

Partial history from Lowry City Centennial Book 1871-1971:

The Ohio Christian Church is seven miles west of Lowry City on Highway A.

The church was organized in the mid-1890s and used the Center School House as a
meeting place. Later the congregation moved to the nearby village of Ohio. Here also a
school house was the meeting place. But in the fall of 1909, a church building was erected.
This building stood until April 1916 when a tornado roared in from the southwest doing much
property damage in the community. After the storm had done its work, the church building
lay in ruins. But Ohio people, quick to respond when there is an emergency, soon had the
present structure ready for occupancy. About eight years ago a new wing with classrooms
and kitchen facilities was added.

H.E. Carpenter has been the chief minister at Ohio. In 1912 there were 80 members,
liberal missionary offerings and a live Sunday School. Elders: W.M. Goodpastor, W.H. Reynolds,
E.A. Martin. Deacons: J.E. Miser, H.E. Kirk, Charles Bryant, A.A. Johnson.

Submitted by: Mary Zeiler


Photo taken September 2006. Submitted by Joyce Lathrum


Photo taken September 2006. Submitted by Joyce Lathrum

Ohio Christian Church
Located NW 401 Road, Intersection of A & F

HOME