St. Clair County Missouri
Churches

 

 


St. Clair County Library files


Once used as the First Baptist Church, this building is now home to the St. Clair County Historical Society.
May 2009 - submitted by Mary Zeiler.


Front view of the new building for First Baptist Church, Osceola. May 2009 - submitted by Mary Zeiler


Side view of the new building for First Baptist Church, Osceola. May 2009 - submitted by Mary Zeiler

 

FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH
Osceola, Missouri

Early History from St. Clair County Library Files:

The First Baptist Church of Osceola was organized February 12, 1870. The council consisted
of messengers from the Pleasant Grove, Coon Creek and Olive Branch churches.
F.B. Freeman was moderator and John P. Lawton, clerk.

There were seven charter members. During the first month, the Olive Branch church dissolved
and ten of its members joined the new Osceola church.

The first Pastor was Elder V. Burgas and the first clerk, E.E. Smith. Second pastor was
Elder J.T. Metcalf who served until 1873. The next pastor was Elder M.C. Blaine who
served one year.

During these years, the church worshipped in the courthouse, the Methodist house,
then the Presbyterian and again in the courthouse. The church house was erected in 1888
at a cost of $3,000.00.

Submitted by Mary Zeiler

HOME