St. Clair County Missouri
Churches

 

 

PAPE CHRISTIAN CHURCH


Submitted by Mary Zeiler

From St. Clair County Library Files
(History of Tiffin Baptist):

The original town of Tiffin was at the confluence of Little Clear Creek and Big Clear
Creek, several miles North of the present town of Tiffin. From the “History of Henry and
St. Clair Counties we learned that Tiffin was the only village and postoffice in
Speedwell
Township.

At that time, Clear Creek was a large stream and there was a mill known as Pape’s Mill
owned by Gideon Pape. He owned the land and put up the first store in 1876. In July
1876 the first postoffice in Speedwell Township was established and Gideon Pape was
Postmaster. Old Tiffin later became known as Pape.

A non-denominational church building was erected and paid for by subscribers. Some
members (Baptists) moved to the present site of Tiffin Baptist Church by the year 1892.

The original building became the Pape Christian Church.


Submitted by Mary Zeiler

HOME