PLEASANT HILL CHURCH, Disciples of Christ
Portion of Early History from Christian
St. Clair County - Durl Barnett Collection:
PLEASANT HILL AND PLEASANT VALLEY CHRISTIAN CHURCH
This Christian body, organized in 1852,is the oldest church in the county. A
$400 house was
built in 1861. The church moved to Pleasant Valley in 1892.
The first house burned in 1921
and a new house was
Pleasant Valley Families:
History of Henry and St. Clair Counties, 1883:
This church was organized in 1852, on section 36, township 37, range 26.
The original members were: William Dudley and wife, James Dudley and wife,
and wife, Mrs. McMinn, S.S. Stearnes and wife, George Preston
and wife, Mrs. Stewart
and Thomas Hester and wife.
A frame church building was built in 1861 at a cost of $400.
Its pastors were Revs. H.A. Speed, B.D. Smith, See Byba, E.P. Belshe, G.W.
W.W. Warren, W.C. Blalock and Elder Cropper.
Submitted by Mary Zeiler