St. Clair County Missouri
Churches

 

 

PRAIRIE GROVE BAPTIST CHURCH
Jackson Township

History of Henry and St. Clair Counties, 1883:

The Prairie Grove Baptist Church was organized on the fourth Sunday in April 1868 and is
located on the northwest quarter of section 4, north of the Osage River. Its organization was effected
by Revs. Thomas Briggs and W.P. Wright.

Original members were: W.H. Sibley, M. Wright, Sydney Kirtley, Samuel Garwood, S.J. Smith,
Hugh Ingram, R. Eversole, William Parker, Henry Hollace, Catherine Wright, Ann Evarett,
Nancy Parker, Lavisa Dent and Martha Copenhaver.

Pastors were: Elder R.D. Lawler, Elder W.P. Wright, Elder H. Sands and Elder W.M. Love.

A neat frame building, costing $800. was erected for the purpose of a place of worship and
a school building.

(Photo of this building welcomed)

HOME