History and Photo from St. Clair County
VISTA METHODIST CHURCH
The first Vista Methodist Church was built in 1897. It was a little frame
building 28 feet wide and
40 feet long. This building cost less than $1000.
Mrs. Sam Landis had a vision of this little church built on a hill over
looking the town of Vista.
She went from house to house, over the
countryside, riding old Morgan, the family horse.
She asked for donations
and would accept money, eggs, chickens, butter or anything she could
exchange for money.
In 1897, this little church was dedicated. Church services were held once a
month on Sunday
afternoon. People walked, came in buggies, wagons and on
horseback. An old book was found
showing that one sunday the attendance was
48 and the collection was 54 cents.
The Church building became too small for the needs of the people. In 1952, a
full basement was
built and in 1960 a new church was built. The first
worship service was held there March 5, 1961. October 22, 1962 the debt was
paid and dedication was March 31, 1962.