Westfield Presbyterian Church
History of Henry and St. Clair Counties, 1883:
The Westfield Presbyterian Church was organized in 1873, with eleven
members, including the minister.
The names of the members were: George Burk
and wife, J.T. Nesbit and wife,
James Parsely and wife, C.W. Nesbit and
wife, Mrs. Barbara Warner and Mrs. Gardner.
In the year 1881, a new church edifice was erected, substantial in its
building and neatly,
plainly furnished. It was capable of seating a
large congregation in a comfortable manner,
being 46 x 32 feet in size.
The first preacher, after organization, was the Rev. W.M. Newton. When the
which cost some $1500., was completed in June of 1881, it was
dedicated the same month with
Rev. William M. Newton officiating.
The first preacher in the new church was the Rev. R.H. Jackson.
Submitted by Mary Zeiler
Osceola Sun, 10 June
The Westfield Presbyterian Church congregation, who have been worshipping
since the date of
their organization in the Ohio School House, have decided to erect a
suitable house of
worship. Their large increase in numbers of late, largely due to the able
efforts of their present pastor,
Rev. R.H. Jackson, are beyond the capacity
of said building to accommodate. Jno. C. Nesbit has
given five acres of land, and Saturday last the matter took permanent shape.
Jno. C. Nesbit,
B. Strickland, and Jno. Warner are the trustees elect, and Mssrs. Rusk,
Gillson and C.W. Nesbit
are an auxiliary committee of three, to superintend the building of the
church. Look out for the subscription
apers for they are now going the