Wright's Creek Baptist Church
Wright’s Creek Baptist Church
Partial History from Lowry City Centennial Book 1871-1971
The Wright’s Creek Baptist Church was organized in February 1866, by Rev.
William P. Wright and Rev. C.V. Maddox. It was first called
Mt. Zion Baptist
Church. The building, of log structure, was burned shortly
after the church was organized.
After the building was destroyed, the
members met in the Wright’s Creek School House.
The name of the church was
changed from Mt. Zion to Wright’s Creek Baptist Church.
There were seventeen
charter members whose names are as follows:
W.H. Sibley, Sarah Sibley, Susan
Wright, James Foster, Lucinda Commons, Amanda Foster,
James McClain, T.W.
Wright, T.J. Ferrier, A.J. Dood, C.F. Moran, J.W. Maddox, Morgan Wright,
Arvilla Foster, Elizabeth McClain, Elizabeth Hogan and Jane Maddox.
Submitted by: Mary Zeiler