FIRST ASSEMBLY OF GOD
From Church records:
Church History – In the spring of 1939, Rev. Everett Kelly of Eldorado
came to Osceola to conduct services on the courthouse
lawn. They were joined by some
Pentecostal folk from Monegaw Springs who
became strong supporters of the work in Osceola.
Tent revival services were
held on a corner lot owned by a local doctor. Later, in the fall,
was given permission to use the Presbyterian Church. Rev. Albert Pettit came
revival services continued. Some local persons attending those meetings
were Fern Zeiler,
the Luckey family, Emmett Sheets, Hazel Walker, and Della
In the spring of 1940 a brush arbor was erected and services were held all
Before the Kellys left, in the fall of 1940, Doctor Teagarden gave
the lot where the brush
arbor was built, to the church.
The first building was erected by Rev. Robert Oney 1940-1941. Following him
Rev. George Young, Rev. John Plantenburg, and Rev. James Dunn. Rev. Joe
pastured the church from 1944 to 1950, during which time the
parsonage was built. It was during
Rev. Olin Brown’s pastorate 1950-1956,
the first building was torn down and a second building constructed.
pastors after that were Rev. Robert Tourville, Rev. Vern Stoughton,
C.R. Hampton, Rev. Charles Reed, Rev. Gene Petty, Rev. Malden Holden,
Robert Sandfort, Rev. Marshall Lackrone, and Rev. Steve Patterson.
The second building was totally destroyed by fire in October 1977. The
immediately to make plans to rebuild, under the
leadership of Rev. Steve Patterson, who was
pastor at the time. Negotiations
were made with contractor and architect and ground breaking ceremonies took
March 1978, on property so graciously given by Bro. and Sis.
As we see from this brief history, many pastors have come and gone. In
we again saw a change, and Rev. and Mrs. Robert Cooper came
to accept the double
challenge of Shepherding a flock and completing a
building program. The building is complete.
The shepherding continues under
the guidance of Pastor Cooper.
Submitted by Richard Sunderwirth