Search billions of records on

St. Clair County Deaths

Death Announcements in the Appleton City Journal, 1887
Submitted by Karen Foreman


Death notices from The Appleton City Journal, Appleton City, St. Clair, MO - 1887
(partial- January 20th thru May 12th):

  The A.O, U.W. order of this city will hold memorial services in the Methodist church next Sunday afternoon at 2 o’clock in memory of Father Upchurch, the father of that order, and whose name is near and dear to every Workman in the land. An invitation is extended to neighboring lodges and a number of visiting brethren are expected. An invitation is also extended to the public.
(Appleton City Journal, 20 Jan 1887)

   The Schell City school board suspended school at Schell City Monday evening on account of scarlet fever. A little girl died there Sunday evening from scarlet fever. The family in which the fever broke out, lately moved there from Illinois. As yet no other cases have developed.
(Appleton City Journal, 20 Jan 1887)

   The body of Mr. Chas. Ashby, whose death in Nebraska was announced in the last issue of the Journal arrived here last Friday morning accompanied by the wife of the deceased and her brother, Mr. Gilmer Adair, of the Chicago Mail. Soon after the arrival the remains were interred in our city cemetery. Mrs. Ashby has the deepest sympathy of our entire people in her severe affliction and irreparable loss.
(Appleton City Journal, 10 Feb 1887)

   From Mr. Ava E. Page the Journal learns that J. M. McCarthey, an M.K.&T. brakeman, was knocked from the top of a moving freight train, Tuesday while passing over Deepwater Creek near Ladue and was drowned. His remains were taken to his home in Clinton.
(Appleton City Journal, 17 Feb 1887)

   From Mr. Ava E. Page the Journal learns of the recent death of one of Bates county’s oldest and most highly esteemed pioneers, Mr. James Ridge, who was in his 77th year of his age. Mr. Ridge settled on the farm, near Pleasant Gap in the year 1837, and has resided there until the final summons came for him on last Sunday morning, Feb. 13th, 1887. During all these long years Mr. Ridge made his county a good citizen and ever enjoyed the high esteem and true friendship of his neighbors, whose hearts are now made sad by his death.
(Appleton City Journal, 17 Feb 1887)

   A bright little daughter of Mrs. George Monroe, in the southeast part of the city, died last Monday night from a complication of measles and croup. The child was buried Tuesday afternoon.
(Appleton City Journal, 24 Feb 1887)

   Mrs. John C. Nesbit, well known in the Ohio neighborhood, died at her residence here last Friday afternoon after an illness of about twenty hours with pneumonia. She was about 75 years of age.
(Appleton City Journal, 3 Mar 1887)


Death of an Old and Most Respected Lady.

Special to the Journal.

   Osceola, Mo., March 1.---Mrs. John C. Nesbit, consort of one of the oldest and most widely known citizens of this county, died at the residence of her son, Mr. Scott Nesbit, in this city, last Saturday night, and was buried to-day, (Tuesday.) Mrs. Nesbit is a sister of your former fellow-townsman, H. A. Coffin, now of Des Moines, Iowa, also of the old man Coffin, who died at Pittsburg, Pa., a few months ago, and the mother of Hon. F. C. Nesbit, chief clerk of the Agricultural Department, Washington City, Scott Nesbit, of Osceola, and C. W. Nesbit, of Lowry City. She died at the age of 70 years, thus ending a long and most successful sojourn on earth.
(Appleton City Journal, 3 Mar 1887)

   Death invaded the humble home of Mrs. George Monroe, again last Thursday and carried off another one of her bright little daughters- Mamie. The most tender sympathy of many of our people have been with the family in their distress; and all deeply regret that the affliction has been so severe, but let us remember that the Savior hath said: “Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not, for of such is the kingdom of Heaven.”
(Appleton City Journal, 10 Mar 1887)


   The wife of Prof. J. B. Ferguson, one of the old citizens of Osceola, died Tuesday morning.
(Appleton City Journal, 10 Mar 1887)

   An infant of Mr. and Mrs. Evans, of this city, died a few days ago. Mrs. Evans is also very near death’s door, and fears of her recovery are entertained.
(Appleton City Journal, 10 Mar 1887)

   How sad to know that we have been called to give up another of our dear Band-workers. Little May was ever ready and willing to do any duty assigned her with a spirit of cheerfulness that was very winning, and the sudden removal of these two little buds of promise from our midst leaves a vacancy that will be deeply felt by the leaders of the Band as well as their associates. And again we extend to the much afflicted mother and the two remaining sisters our sympathys in this very trying hour. And may our father in Heaven “temper the wind to his shorn lambs.”

                                                      Sup’t Band of Hope.


   I desire through your kindness to express my sincere thanks to our friends and the citizens of Appleton City for their great kindness to us during the sickness and death of our dear little children, Amy and May. Your devotion to me, and ministry to the little sufferers is one ray of light shining through the darkness, desolation and loneliness in our home. May the rest our Heavenly Father has given to them finally be yours forever is the one great desire of our broken home:

                                                     Mrs. S. G. Monroe
(Appleton City Journal, 10 Mar 1887)


   A Little child of Ed. Williams died a few days ago.
(Appleton City Journal, 17 Mar 1887)


   Squire S. C. Sturtevant was called to Ohio last week by the sudden and unexpected death of his mother. He returned Sunday night and reports that there is considerable complaint in the locality he visited of dull times and depressed business.
(Appleton City Journal, 24 Mar 1887)


   The stepmother of Andy Naylor died at LaDue, the home of his father, some part of last week.
(Appleton City Journal, 31 Mar 1887)


   DIED---The Journal deeply regrets to learn of the death of little Dempsy, son of Dr. Davidson, one of St. Clair’s most prominent citizens, who resides at Taberville. The little fellow was thirteen months old and died on the morning of the 31st of pneumonia, after an illness of one week. Everything that tender hands and loving parents could do was done, but the precious flower was too tender for the frosts and blighting winds of earth, and the spirit took its flight to Him who said: “Suffer little children to come unto me.”
(Appleton City Journal, 31 Mar 1887)


   An infant daughter---Goldie E.---of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Reasoner, of Monegaw Township, died on the 23d inst. She was born in December, 1884. The bereaved parents have the sympathy of a large circle of friends.
(Appleton City Journal, 31 Mar 1887)


   The following is with reference to the life and death of the step-mother of Mr. Andy Naylor of this city.

   DIED---Of consumption, Mrs. Catharine I. Naylor, wife of Jas. H. Naylor, of LaDue, Henry county, Mo., at her home March 24th, 1887.

   Deceased was born March 27th, 1828 in Maysville, Kentucky and was 57 years old lacking three days. Her girlhood was spent in Ripley, Ohio, with her parents John O. and Catharine Campbell. At the age of 18, she was married to S. W. McCoy of Fairfax, Ohio. From this union were born two children, Jerome, and Sarah, wife of J. W. Forsythe. Mr. McCoy, her husband, died. In 1853 she married Jas. Naylor who still survives her. From this second union were born six children.

   Mrs. Naylor early joined the church and was a consistent member of the Christian church of Ladue, for a number of years. Hers was a practical religion. She practiced her religion around the sacred hearthstone of home.

Her language was singularly pure and free from any corrupting tendency, and all who came in contact with her were won by her gentleness and love.

   Her remains rest in Ladue cemetery and her gentle spirit rests in the bosom of its maker.

                                                    ---Henry County Democrat.
(Appleton City Journal, 31 Mar 1887)


   A service in memoriam of little May Monroe will be conducted at the Baptist church next Sunday at 11 a.m. Subject, “Voices from the dead.” The children will occupy front seats and conduct the singing. All children wishing to participate are requested to meet the pastor at the church Friday evening at 7:30.
(Appleton City Journal, 31 Mar 1887)


   The wife of Mr. John Carroll, one of the oldest and best known citizens of Monegaw township, died last Sunday and was buried Monday. Mrs. Carroll had been sick several weeks and her death was not unexpected, she being well advanced in years. She is the mother of Mrs. John Peak, of this city.
(Appleton City Journal, 7 Apr 1887)


   Mr. and Mrs. John Peak received the sad intelligence by wire Monday of the death of Mrs. Mattie Jackson’s little baby boy in their Kentucky home. Of course it was severe news to these people and also many other relatives in our midst, and the kind sympathy of very many dear friends is tendered the bereaved parents and relatives in their hour of grief.
(Appleton City Journal, 14 Apr 1887)


Death of Mr. Murrell

   A large percent of our citizens were made sad yesterday by the news of the death of Mr. N. W. Murrell, which occurred at Warsaw Tuesday, from consumption. Mr. Murrell had many friends in Appleton City and, while his death was not unexpected, we all greatly regretted to hear of his demise. Thus it is that another life, which a short time was so full of promise, has been laid low by the grim reaper.
(Appleton City Journal, 14 Apr 1887)


Death of a Talented Young Printer.

   The long struggle is over, and W. E. Murrell is at rest. Death came to him like a blessing on Tuesday morning, and after life’s fitful fever, he sleeps well. Poor Ned! His sky was early overcast and his sun went down while it was yet day.

   Hither and yon he has sought the health which, like a phantom has eluded him; across the continent, he dragged his weary form thinking himself better until the shortening breath told his mistake, and again and again he crossed the rocky mountains, with no hope except a change of air and scenery, until even they had no charm for the weary soul, which longed to lay its burden down, and almost a month ago he came back for the last time knowing that he had come to die. Hard as it must have been to loose his hold on life, to part with his baby girl and fair young bride; to leave the friends he loved so well, he yet longed for death, as the surcease of his suffering, and wooed it like a bride. His manly form is covered with the clods of the valley, and the noble intellect has had its light quenched forever.

   The funeral was celebrated at the residence of Judge Patten, yesterday morning and a large concourse followed the remains to the last resting place appointed for all who live beneath the sun. May the turf be light above him, and his memory ever be kept green.

                                                       ---Warsaw Times.
(Appleton City Journal, 21 Apr 1887)



Creates Death and Destruction of Life and Property.

The Terrible Storms on Thursday Night.


   (From Saturday’s Journal Extra)

   The Journal supposed that its contemporary in its issue of this morning would furnish our people with the details of Thursday night’s terrible storms but as it did not the Journal has hastily prepared the following:

   In its issue of the 14th, inst., the Journal published a prognostication by Prof. Foster of the weather for April in which it was predicted that a severe moon storm would occur in this latitude on the 21st, and no one now doubts the fact that it failed to arrive on schedule time. As to just what particular relations it sustained to the moon we are not prepared to say; but, as regards its merits as a hail, wind and rain storm, we can give Prof. Foster and the weather clerk every assurance that it was a success.

   The first storm struck Appleton City a little after eight o’clock at night and for about forty minutes rain and hail came down as if the flood-gates above had been thrown wide open. The hailstones were the largest that, in all probability ever fell in this locality, many stones being picked up that weighed three ounces; but fortunately, during the falling of the hail, there was very little wind, and the damage to vegetation and window glass is not half what it would have been if the hail had been given the additional force of a strong wind. As it was many of the windows on the north side of buildings were shattered. The icy missiles falling on the house-tops sounded like a shower of brick-bats, while the continual glare of lightning and din of the storm made a scene that caused even the strong nerved to tremble. The tremendous fall of rain gave the streets the appearance of miniature rivers and the roar of the mad, rushing tide contributed to make the scene more fearful.

   Mr. Burdge, at the Art Gallery suffered the greatest loss from the effects of the hail, the sky-light in his building being badly shattered.

   Several persons in the city picked up hail stones that measured three inches round, and one gentleman west of the city tells us that he picked up several large hailstones that had blades of grass imbedded on the inside. The grass, of course, was torn up by the cyclone and carried into the current of air that caused the hail, where it was frozen into the ice.

   Every year since cyclones have been so numerous Appleton City has had a narrow escape from a visit by these terrible death-dealing monsters of the elements, and it does seem that our beautiful city has been provided with some mysterious, but effective, safeguard against such visits.

   It is said that considerable damage resulted from the wind in the country, and that the high water washed away a great amount of fencing. The residence of a Mr. Knowland living between here and Rockville was demolished by the wind and Mrs. Knowland suffered severe injuries from falling timbers. Mr. Knowland was on a sick bed with pneumonia, and was exposed to the fury of the storm until carried into the barn.

   Several barns in the vicinity of Rockville were blown down and a number of residences more or less injured.

   Thos. Payne’s large barn was badly damaged, either by wind or lightning; also the barn on the Thomas place.

   The heaviest part of the wind storm passed south and east of Appleton City and there are many rumors regarding the loss of life and damage to property that resulted in Monegaw, Taber, Osage and other townships; but the Journal has been unable to get reliable information up to this time.


   Mr. John Payne and others who were in the city yesterday brought the horrible news regarding the destruction of a Mr. Hall’s home. Hall lived a short distance south of the Center School House, and his house, a small frame, was swept entirely away, while every member of the family were more or less injured, and two or three it is feared fatally. Mrs. Hall and one boy at last accounts were still unconscious and suffering from terrible bruises. Every vestige of furniture in the house it is said was scattered over the fields and completely destroyed.

   The store of Dr. Wheeler and a blacksmith shop at Johnson City were blown off their foundations, but not greatly damaged.

   The practicing physician at Ohio was in town this morning and reported the Hall family all in a fair way to recovery with the exception of the little boy, who will probably die.


   Rich Hill Daily Herald.---The south fork of the tornado traveled northeast from Prescott, passing to the south of Hume and between Hume and Sprague.

   Miles Miller’s residence half way between Hume and Sprague was totally demolished, and his wife and child blown into the well and drowned. It is reported Mr. Miller is blown away and has not yet been heard from.

   At Miami two houses were lifted into the air thirty or forty feet, and a woman dropped from one of the flying buildings, but luckily was not dangerously hurt.

   The dwelling of Dwight Smith, 3½ miles northwest of Rich Hill near the Gulf mines, was literally torn to atoms, the house being leveled to the ground, not even the foundation remaining. Mrs. Smith had her right leg dislocated and fractured just above the ankle, and other slight injuries. Mrs. Ryan, a daughter of Mrs. Smith and her two children were in the house at the time, and were all three hurt. Mrs. Ryan was injured internally, and when seen by a reporter was suffering great pain and spitting blood. The two children were hurt about the body and face by falling timber, while they are badly injured the physicians say they are not in a dangerous condition. A young man by the name of DeArmond, was cut about the face by flying timbers. Mr. Smith had just taken a crock of milk to the cellar, and thus escaped being buried beneath the debris. There was no insurance on the property and everything is a total loss.


   This little town in Bates county suffered greatly from the effects of the storm. The Christian and Methodist churches and the Methodist parsonage were torn to pieces, but the inmates of the latter escaped without bodily injury. Lumber from the yards was scattered all over the prairie, and the depot was unroofed. A Mrs. Graves with a young baby in her arms was holding the door of her residence, when the cyclone struck the house, completely wrecking it. The baby was gently taken out of its mother’s arms by the wind and deposited in a potato patch 75 or 100 feet away. Mr. and Mrs. Graves and two boys were all fatally injured, besides two other persons in the house were badly used up.

   Southwest of Sprague, between Hume and the former place, farm houses and barns were completely demolished and at Miles Miller’s the storm did its worst work. A niece of Mrs. Miller saw the storm coming and ran to the storm house with the youngest child and gained its shelter while the other members of the family remained to fasten as securely as possible the windows and doors of the residence, when they started to a place of safety. Hardly had they left the house when the heavy gust struck the well curb, by which they had to pass in order to reach the underground house, lifting it high in the air and dropping it into a cow lot 100 feet beyond, and the fated three were precipitated to the bottom of the well to meet their death either from drowning or the fall. The bodies were recovered last night and prepared for burial to-day.

   Della Brown, a niece of Mr. Miller’s relates the following:

   “Uncle Miles was at the barn feeding and we were preparing supper, when he came running to the house and caught up one of the children and called to us to run for the storm-cellar. We went out at the south door, but before we could reach the cellar the storm struck us, throwing us to the ground. This is the last I saw of them, for the roar of the storm drowned all other sounds. The wind blew me past the cellar-door, but I managed to crawl back to the mouth of the cave.

   “Just then the little boy blew toward me and I crawled out and caught him under my arm, and was again blown out toward the orchard, and must have struck a tree, for I became insensible. When I came to, the rain was falling on my face and all was quiet. I got up, still having the little boy in my arms, but could not find Uncle and Aunt Miller. I then went to a neighbor and got help. We returned, and after a long search finally went to the well, and, oh! horrors, we there saw the bodies of husband and wife and the little 2-months’ old baby dead.”

   The farm houses of the following parties are entirely destroyed: Sam Porter, George Hibler, L. Marinon, J. Baugh, H. Overman, George Daniels, Mr. Gaudles, Sam Bealy, L. C. Robinson, Robert Robinson, Wm. Petty and Wm. Pettit. The latter house took fire and burned. Wm. Kennel’s house, also caught fire from the stove and was completely burned up.

   Fort Scott, April 22, 2 a.m.---News has just reached us here of a destructive wind storm at Prescott, Kansas, a small town of about four hundred inhabitants, located on the main line of the Kansas City, Fort Scott & Gulf road. The passenger depot was blown across the track and a number of houses and barns were demolished.

   Garnett, Kan., April 22.---The first cyclone of the season for Kansas struck Colony in the southern part of this county to-day, killing one woman, destroying several houses and doing a large amount of other damage.

   In Henry township, Vernon county the storm struck with terrible destruction to life and property, and Dr. Whitfield and a young man by the name of (______ are among) those who are known to have been killed.

   In the vicinity of Nevada many farm houses were blown down, many persons injured and one little girl, a daughter of Geo. Cheney, was killed outright.

   Dead horses, cattle and other stock mark the path of the storm.

   Later news from Prescott, Kan., report two persons killed and the town terribly wrecked.

(Continued on Second Page)




Continued from first page.

   The damage done by last Thursday night’s storm was mainly in the country districts, consequently the work of collecting the particulars has been very slow.

   In this particular vicinity no additional damage to that previously mentioned has been reported. The storm cloud divided as it approached Appleton City, as they have so often done before, one section going north and the other south of the city.

   The little Hall boy belonging to the family whose home in Monegaw township was blown to atoms, died Sunday and the others injured will recover.

   At Taberville the old Purington store building was blown down, the Masonic hall building was badly damaged and a number of small frame houses demolished. Across the river from Taberville fences were scattered and large trees twisted, and blown in every direction.


   Nevada, Mo., April 23.---Additional particulars from the storm-swept district show that over fifteen persons were killed in Blue Mound and Osage townships, besides the lives lost in other townships in the path of the cyclone.

   John Armstrong’s residence is blown down; the family escaped by the cellar; Geo. Kelley’s house came next for destruction, fatally injuring his wife and two children. And old zinc trunk containing $150 in the house was blown three miles. Dr. Berry’s house was totally destroyed. Mrs. E. Shront, Miss Shront and John Hight and about 18 other deaths are reported, but the names can not be obtained.

   Additional particulars from the storm-swept district increase the number of cases of desolation and suffering. It is estimated that from twenty to thirty dwellings were destroyed, and from 150 to 256 people left homeless.

   Thos. Hawkins, who was reported probably fatally injured, will get well, but Mrs. Hawkins will die of her injuries. Their child was badly bruised, but will recover. Hawkins and his wife and child were all found out in a field. The mother had the child in her arms when the storm struck the house. When found the child was about 75 yards from where the house had stood, while the father and mother were 150 yards away. John Miller and his child were buried to-day, and Mrs. Miller is not expected to live. Her left leg was broken and her hip crushed. She was semi-unconscious throughout yesterday, never having rallied from the shock.

   Among the wonderful things performed by the wind was the moving of a foundation stone from Jake Boyer’s house, which weighed fully 300 pounds, a distance of thirty or forty feet. Mr. Boyer’s cow was picked up and carried a distance of 150 yards. Two steers belonging to Reuben Walton, in Richland Township, were carried from one field to another. They were covered with mud, but escaped without serious injury.

   Two heavy farm wagons were picked up and hurled through the air, only two wheels of which could be found, the spokes having been wrenched from the hubs, and the tires bent and broken.

   The dead body of John Miller was found under an apple tree; his wife was unconscious and their little child was found clinging to a limb of the same tree.


   (From the Rich Hill Daily Herald.)

   At the time of going to press last evening we were unable to give full particulars of the fearful ravages caused by the cyclone of Thursday evening which passed over Prescott, Kansas, in a northeasterly direction. In order to give a complete and as accurate a description of the tornado as possible, a Herald reporter accompanied by A. C. Cate, and Messrs. Johannes and Bussey as sight-seers, left to make a personal inspection of the devastated section. At 2 o’clock last evening we reached Prescott, and to give a description of the horrors of the situation it is impossible to do. The cyclone struck the town farely from the west and leveled nearly every house in the place, but few escaping injury of some description. The main portion of the place is a total wreck, and frantic women and children were rushing about the streets, seemingly aiming for no particular spot. The streets were nearly obstructed with debris from the ruins, and pedestrianism is next to an impossibility. Roofs of buildings, sidings, door casings, rafters, sills, furniture, clothing, and every conceivable manner of wearing apparel is scattered broadcast about the stricken place, and fragments of the wrecks are to be seen over a mile to the east of the town. There are about thirty-five or forty buildings all told, down or more or less damaged in some manner. It is impossible to give an accurate estimate of the total loss, but it is approximated at not less than $100,000.

   Amid all this devastation and ruin, but one person lost his life. Constable Stevens, who was standing in the door of Manlove Bro’s. dry goods store. The building crushed him to the ground breaking his neck. This was the only death reported in Prescott and it is truly miraculous that there were not more killed. About 25 or 30 people were injured more or less, but was thought that none were seriously hurt.

   Although the reporter passed over the entire track of the tornado, extending from three miles west of Rich Hill to Prescott, Kansas, it is impossible to give anything like an entirely accurate account of every farm house struck by the storm, from the fact that at many places we found them deserted, and not a living soul left to tell the sad fate, excepting a poor lonely canine howling piteously back of the ruins. Suffice it to say that within the radius of the storm-path, but three or four buildings remain standing between Hume and Prescott.

   In Renick neighborhood, in Vernon county, south of the Marmaton river, eleven persons were killed, among them John Miller. This news is authentic, and came in this morning to Mr. Corroll of this city, who is a brother-in-law of Mr. Miller, who is reported among the number killed.


   The total number of people killed in Vernon, Bates and St. Clair counties will be between fifty and sixty, while in Arkansas the number is over seventy-five.

   At Schell City the cyclone passed on outskirts of the place, doing great damage to trees and fences. Several houses were demolished. John D. High was killed and his wife and child mortally hurt. Not a fragment of their dwelling remains. The house of the Gibson family was blown away and one child suffered a broken arm. The loss in this, Vernon county, is placed at about $70,000.

   At Taberville, St. Clair county, houses were unroofed and one man injured. John Hayes’ dwelling was blown down. It was entirely demolished and afterwards took fire. C. H. Davis and Harry Sullivan’s dwellings were destroyed. Many other buildings were badly damaged among which was the Masonic hall. S. A. Hall was badly hurt.

   Osceola, Mo., April 22.---A severe windstorm visited this place last night at about 10 o’clock. Sidewalks were moved into the street, window sashes were blown in, and many outhouses were tumbled over, as well as chimneys. It was the heaviest windstorm that has visited this section for some time, but reports are coming in that a little way south of this place trees were torn up by their roots and fences blown away. Just before the wind came, hail fell that measured 6 1-4 inches in circumference.


   The rain and hail storm of Thursday night the 21st inst. swept over this Twp., in cyclone fury. Mr. Kinnish’s corn crib being leveled before it, log barn for Mr. Evans unroofed , ditto stable for Mr. Thrall, numerous orchards suffered by the uprooting entire of big healthy apple trees in bloom-- but its full force and terror was vented upon the premises of Mr. R. F. Hall opposite the handsome estate of Mark Allison, Esq. Here it lifted from its foundation and tore to fragments the dwelling house and contents. The debris being strewn in a southwest direction for 3-4 of a mile; the family on the inside going with it and being terribly cut, bruised and broken. By mere accident the family of Mr. Allison heard the cries of one little boy who in some manner got loose from the wreck and Mr. Ed Allison being the head of the family at home at that hour, nobly rushed into the blinding storm and flying timbers to the rescue. They were at last all got into his father’s dwelling. Mr. Hall is badly cut and bruised over his entire body. His wife likewise, but it is hoped both will fully recover. One son Austin treated in same manner with the addition of a broken arm, ditto Alex, with a fracture of collar bone. Little Johnny the baby boy is injured beyond recovery with head wounds. The building must have been carried in the frame several rods before breaking entire and one can in that way only account for the terrible injuries of the family. When found they were fairly stripped of the little night clothing they retired with, and fairly driven into the soft muddy ground. It being necessary to clip close the hair off every head to make even a start at a wash. It is the country’s first real experience of this awful messenger of destruction to life and property. We must all now do our full part in restoring to home and comfort this stricken family. To Mr. Allison, Mr. Robert Williamson, Constable Williams and Mr. Spry, especially, we all indebted for their prompt succor and relief. We expect to do our full part. But help all around is needed, as everything inside the house, furniture, clothing, &c., is destroyed.

                                                                                   J. G. C.


   On Sunday, at 1 p.m., John Douglas Hall, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Hall, of Monegaw Twp. Death resulting from injuries received at the destruction of his parents home on Thursday night last. Interment at Harmony church yard.
(Appleton City Journal, 28 Apr 1887)



   TABERVILLE, Mo., April 23 ‘87.

   At a special meeting of Taberville Lodge No. 368 A.O.U.W. the following Preamble and Resolutions were adopted.

   WHEREAS Our all-wise Father in wisdom passing our understanding, has seen fit to call from our midst Brother John D. High,

   RESOLVED, That we recognize Bro. High as an honest and industrious man and a true friend and brother.

   RESOLVED, That it is with the deepest sorrow we part with him, but with the knowledge that God doeth all things well.

   RESOLVED, That we bow in humble submission to our loss.

   RESOLVED, That to the wife, mother and infant daughter in this their sad bereavement and affliction we extend our heartfelt sympathy.

   RESOLVED, That if it is the will of our Heavenly Father to restore to health the wife and infant daughter, they will find in the members of our noble order, willing hands and hearts to assist them through life’s struggles.

   RESOLVED, That a copy of these resolutions be placed upon record in our Lodge and a copy be sent to the wife and mother and also to the Appleton City Journal and Schell City News for publication.
(Appleton City Journal, 5 May 1887)


   Died:---Sunday, May 8th, 1887. Johnnie, infant son of Mr. and Mrs. W. F. McColly, of membranous croup: The funeral services were conducted in the afternoon and were attended by a large number of sympathizing friends.
(Appleton City Journal, 12 May 1887)



Eugene Ruye the Victim of John Jones, the Guilty Man.


Rich Hill Review.

   The readers of the Review will remember our account of the mysterious murder in the adjoining county of Vernon, when, on March 14, a man ploughing in a field in Metz township discovered a human body lying on the outside of the field partially under a wire fence. The corpse was that of a man, and it was evident that he had been recently killed. Coroner Partis called a jury and was assisted in the examination by County Attorney Smith. A large number of the people of the vicinity viewed the body and during the examination a majority of them declared that it was John Jones, a son of Thomas Jones, and the verdict of the jury was so entered, but the next day public opinion was divided, some declaring that it was Jones, while others were equally certain that it was Andrew Altizer. Both of these men had been away from this neighborhood for two or three months. Thomas Jones was unable to decide whether or not it was the body of his son, but Mrs. Jones was confident that it was not, while it was subsequently ascertained that Altizer was at Medicine Lodge, Kan.

   The Review at that time stated that the circumstantial evidence pointed to John Jones as the murderer and some stranger the victim, and urged the importance of the Vernon county officers following up the clue.

   A little piece of partially effaced paper was found on the body, signed Eugene Ruye. To this the Coroner’s  jury paid little attention, and finally brought in a verdict that the body was that of John Jones. Not satisfied, Sheriff Hill commenced work upon assumption that John Jones was still alive, notwithstanding the verdict of the jury, and that he had done the killing.

   He learned that two men left the passenger train at Arthur about dusk on the evening which was supposed to have been the date of the killing, and one man returned to the same station that night and boarded the train for Nevada. This man---who was supposed to have committed the murder---the sheriff tracked to Ft. Scott but lost him there.

   Subsequent development proved beyond a doubt that the murdered man was Eugene Ruye, and Sheriff Hill commenced communicating with officers at points where Jones has friends or relatives and was finally rewarded by getting a trace of him at Gainsville, Texas, on April the 14th, just one month from the findings of the dead body at Metz.

   Sheriff Hill started for Texas and upon his arrival at Gainsville learned that Jones had gone to the Chickasaw nation to work on a farm eighty miles from Gainsville. The arrest was made Wednesday morning of last week and Sheriff Hill brought his game back to Nevada and lodged him in jail, where he await’s the course of law.

   The prisoner gives the following account of the murder: “I killed Ruye, but not for his money. We left the Indian Territory together about the 7th of March. We had between us about $45 but before we reached this county we had spent nearly half of it. We slept together on the way up here in hay stacks and box cars, and if I had wanted his money I would have killed him then instead of waiting until we got near my father’s house. The real trouble was the result of a promise which Ruye had made, but would not keep. He proposed that we should go to Kansas City, where he intended to buy little articles of dry goods and take them back to the territory to peddle them out. I was to work for him and he was to pay my expenses to Kansas City. We came through to this county with the intention of stopping a day or two at my father’s house. We got off the train at Arthur and started over to the farm; on the way we commenced talking of our arrangements. I had been paying some of the expenses with my own money.

   “The talk led to a dispute and when within a quarter of a mile of the house the quarrel grew very warm. We were then walking quite slowly. The lie passed between us and Huye pushed me down. I had seen an open knife in his hand and when I fell I drew my pistol and shot at him. It was then quite dark and I could not see him plainly. He appeared to be starting toward me and I shot again. I think I shot three times. When he fell, I did not think he was dead, and I waited for some time to see if he would move. Then I took his papers from his pocket and tore them up, so the body might not be identified. Then for the first time I thought of his money, and took it from the pocket of his overalls. I did not know what to do after that, but concluded that I had better go back to the territory. I took a horse from a neighboring stable and rode it back to the station. I got there just in time to catch the south bound train, and went down to Gainsville, Tex. I remained there four days, and then went up in the Territory and commenced work on a farm near Headtown, where I was arrested.”
(Appleton City Journal, 12 May 1887)


 Submitted by: Karen Foreman