APPLETON CITY MILL
St. Clair County, MO History, 1883, page 1011:
Appleton City Mills - C. Shoe & Son, proprietors is situated near the business portion of the town, west of the depot. The building is a two and a
half story frame with a basement and is forty feet front by fifty feet deep with a two story addition twenty by fifty.
There are four runs of French burrs with a grinding capacity of 75 barrels per day. The engine is thirty horsepower, of good workmanship and the quality of flour unexcelled. Messrs Shoe & Son bought this mill at Taberville and moved it here four years ago.
From St. Clair Co., MO History, 1883, page 1012:
APPLETON CITY PLANING MILL
The Appleton City Planing Mill, owned by Moore Brothers, turns out sashes, doors, blinds, moldings, brackets and all kinds of work usually done at a first class planing mill.