COPPERAS SPRINGS


History of St. Clair County, Mo., 1883, p. 1021:
"Bunkem" Anderson, so-called, started the first horse-mill, down on or near the creek, in 1834, southwest of Johnson City. The first school was taught in an old log-cabin put up for school purposes at Copperas Springs in 1846. That was the first school house erected, but several years before that a Dr. Trotter taught a school about 1843, and the cabin he taught in was burned by the boys. They got tired of their teacher, and brought the winter term to a sudden end. On Reid's Creek in 1857, there was a grist mill and a saw mill put up. It had two runs of stones and was called the Monegaw Mills. It disappeared during the troubles.

---

History of St. Clair County, 1883:
The first school taught in an old log cabin, put up for school purpose, at Coperas Springs, in 1846. That was the first school house erected,
but several years before that a Dr. Trotter taught a school, about 1843, and the cabin he taught in was burned down by the boys.
They got tired of their teacher, and brought the winter term to a sudden end.


 

BACK