History of St. Clair Co., Missouri 1883:
The Kelso family, consisting of Andrew Sr. and his sons John, Benjamin and Andrew Jr., were the first to settle in the Hoffman Bend section. David Hoffman arrived in 1836 from Virginia, settling near Roscoe. In 1839 David Hoffman founded Hoffman’s Ferry.
St. Clair Co., MO History, 1883:
Page 1061 - Roscoe Township - Wright Hill had a horse mill in 1837 and this was patronized far and near.
Page 837 - Third store in St. Clair county was Patrick Shields, on the north side of the river on section 8, Roscoe Township, at the Hoffman ferry.
Page 1062 - The first store in the Township (Roscoe) was by Patrick Shields who opened up near the ferry and at the same time and place a blacksmith shop went into operation by the strong arms of John Bedell. This was in the spring of 1840.