Located in Monegaw Township
Township 39, Range 27 W.
Johnson City had a Post Office during the years 1871-1904.
St. Clair Co., Missouri History 1883:
Monegaw Post Office was founded in 1844 -1845, with Joseph Herndon as postmaster for the next nine years. John Reid followed as the next postmaster, and remained so until the office was abolished and Johnson City, the capital of Monegaw Township, started into being.
From 1865 to 1873 the post masters of Johnson City were in the order named, the first being J.L. Ross, then W.W. Rider, J.W. Peck,
J.W. Wheeler, Hiram Wells and the present one, P. Wheeler.
The merchants of the city were, first, A.J. Crigler, then Hodgson & Crigler, Blakely & Ross, W.W. Rider, A.J. Cobb, John Hodgson,
William Hodgson, J.W. Wheeler and P. Wheeler. The three last are doing business in 1883.
John B. Englert has an extensive wagon and blacksmithing establishment, turning out a good wagon complete. Freeman Flat has a
blacksmith and wagon repair shop.
Elias Disney, ex-sheriff, carpenter.
There is a good, substantial frame school house, which is also used as a union church, erected in 1879. The denominations using this
building are Cumberland Presbyterian, Christian, M.E. Church and Baptist.
St. Clair Co., MO History, 1883:
Johnson City, Monegaw Township - This village came into being at the close of the Civil War. A. J. Crigler built and opened the first
store, soon followed by William Hodgson. Joseph Herndon then built the first blacksmith shop, renting it to G. W. Stephens for three years. This gave the town a local habitation, and the name given it was in honor of Andrew Johnson, then President of the United States.
James E. Patterson and William Hodgson owned land lying in the southeast corner of Section 30, and the southwest corner of Section 29 in Monegaw Township. Johnson City was originally a post office (Monegaw Post Office) sixteen miles northwest of Osceola, Missouri.
Missouri State Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1881:
Johnson City – Containing about 200 inhabitants, it is located in Monegan Township, St. Clair County, fifteen miles north west of Osceola (county seat court house), eight south east of Appleton City, on the M.K. & T. Ry. (Missouri, Kansas & Texas Railway), its shipping point, and 255 from St. Louis. A district school, and Baptist, Methodist and Christian societies are sustained. Stock and grain comprise the shipments. Mail stages to Appleton City and Osceola daily. H. Wells, postmaster.
Baugh & Winchester – flour and saw mill
Berry, E.C. – Justice of the peace
Carey, Thomas – hotel propr.
Casey, Engert & Co. – blacksmiths
Flatt & Son – wagon makers
Hodgson, Wm. – general store
Jones & Carroll – flour mill
Myers, Rev. E. – (Christian)
Murphey, Rev. J.B. – (Baptist)
Wheeler, J.W., M.D. – Drugs, general store, grain and livestock
Young, C.F. – lawyer
History of St. Clair County, 1883:
Page 1021: The land was owned by James E. Patterson and William Hodgson, and lies in the southeast corner of Section 30, and the southwest corner of Section 29, in Monegaw Township. It was located in Township 39, Range 27 W, on Highway M., south of A. It was a post-office 16 miles northwest of Osceola.
Page 1022: JOHNSON CITY - Johnson City, the capital of Monegaw Township, started into being after the Civil War. From 1865 to 1875, postmasters were in the order named:
J.L. Ross, W.W. Rider, J.W. Peck, J.W. Wheeler, Hiram Wells, P. Wheeler.
The merchants of the city were:
A.J. Crigler, Hodgson & Crigler, Blakely & Ross, W.W. Rider, A.J. Cobb,
John Hodgson, William Hodgson, J.R. Wheeler, P. Wheeler.
John Benglert, Freeman Flat - blacksmith and wagon repair shops; Elias Disney (ex-sheriff), carpenter.
Denominations using the frame school house in Johnson City:
Union, Cumberland Presbyterian, Christian, M.E., Baptist.