History of St. Clair County, Mo., 1883, p. 1021:
"Bunkem" Anderson, so-called, started the first horse-mill, down on or near the creek, in 1834, southwest of Johnson City. The first school was taught in an old log-cabin put up for school purposes at Copperas Springs in 1846. That was the first school house erected, but several years before that a Dr. Trotter taught a school about 1843, and the cabin he taught in was burned by the boys. They got tired of their teacher, and brought the winter term to a sudden end. On Reid's Creek in 1857, there was a grist mill and a saw mill put up. It had two runs of stones and was called the Monegaw Mills. It disappeared during the troubles.