MONEGAW POST OFFICE
History of St. Clair Co., Missouri 1883:
In 1844 – 1845 Joseph Herndon became the postmaster of Monegaw Post Office. He held this position for the next nine years. His house, and his hat, generally constituted the post office, being about equally divided according to circumstances. If there was a logging bee or a “raisin”, and he attended, the post office would be found in his hat. John Reid followed as the next postmaster and remained so until the office was abolished and Johnson City, the capital of Monegaw Township, started into being.