MONEGAW SPRINGS


Location: Chalk Level Township

Monegaw Springs had a Post Office during the years 1888-1953.

---

Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901:
Monegaw Springs, some hundred in number, are contained within a space of two hundred feet square, and are situated one mile north of the Osage River, and about seven miles southwest of Osceola, in St. Clair County. The waters are strongly impregnated with black sulphur, and efforts have been made to attract attention to them for medicinal uses. Monegaw Cave, one half mile distant, abounds in crystal formations; it has been explored for about one mile. Tradition says that Monegaw, a well regarded Osage chief, retired to the cave and starved himself to death in grief at the passing away of the lands of his people to the whites.

---

St. Clair Co., MO History, 1883, page 1026:
Applegate Mill - Lindsey and Charles Applegate were the first to settle at or by these springs (Monegaw). They put up a cabin there in 1833 or 1834. They had put up a little water mill, the first in the county, but small.

---

History of St. Clair County, MO, 1883, pp. 835, 1029:
Monegaw Springs, Chalk Level Township
These famous springs take their name from the equally famous Indian chief, "Monegaw," who was for many years the moving spirit of the Osage tribe of Indians, as well as their chief ... Lindsay and Charles Applegate were the first to settle at or by these springs, and they put up a cabin there in 1833 or early 1834. They had put up also a little water mill, the first in the county, but small. In 1835 James Anderson bought the Applegates claim and lived there for several years. The Andersons came from Virginia.

---

Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901:
The Osage River enters the central west and flows eastwardly to Osceola and thence to the northeast. Its principal tributary is Sac River, which enters the county near the central south and discharges into the Osage near Osceola. The Osage receives Big Monegaw Creek from the northwest, the Peshaw, or Big Clear Creek from the south west, and Little Weaubleau Creek from the southeast. Coon and Brush Creeks flow into Sac River from the southeast. There are numerous fine springs, the most noted of which are the Monegaw Springs.

---

St. Clair Co., MO History 1883:
In Osage Township, lead indications are more numerous than in any other section of the county, although both Collins and Doyal claim to possess this metal in large quantities. In this portion of the township are the famous Monegaw Springs, whose wealth of mineral and healing waters will yet make it a Mecca for the invalids of the state. Some three miles east of these springs is a white sulphur spring of great medicinal quality, and one of the most pleasant to the taste of any of the medical waters in the county. This spring is found on the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 27, township 38, range 26, and is called the Salt Creek Springs. John C. Looney was the first owner of these springs. Dr. John Elliott settled near these springs in 1850, opened a general store near them and tried to get up a summer resort, but failed simply because transportation was not to be found except on horseback and in wagons for twenty-five or thirty miles.

 

BACK