Located in Section 13, Township 39 N, Range 27 W.
Ohio had a Post Office during the years 1878-1941.
Missouri Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1881:
Ohio – Known as Cherry Grove, is situated in Monegon Township, St. Clair County, eleven miles north west of Osceola (county seat court house), and twelve east of Appleton City, its shipping point. U. Brethren and Presbyterian societies are sustained. Population about 50. Mail tri-weekly. Robert McGauthey, postmaster. Moore, Joab – Justice of the Peace. Wilson, J.W. – Physician.
From History of St. Clair County, MO, 1883, page 1022:
Orion Post Office was started in May, 1871 and C. J. Baldwin was postmaster. There is no such place now (1883) and probably Ohio
Post Office has taken its place.
OHIO POST OFFICE was established in 1878 with Robert McGauthy as postmaster. It was located about one and a half miles west of its present location (1883). It is now on the northwest corner of section 13, township 39, range 27.
The office was first offered to John G. Warner, who declined it in January 1878 and it, therefore, did not open until March and a new
postmaster found. It was moved to its present site November 15, 1882 and S. G. Craig appointed postmaster.
The latter gentleman opened a store, now Ohio, in July 1882 and office was turned over to him, his appointment starting in October 1882.
“It All Started With a Tornado” by Wilbur Zink:
OHIO POST OFFICE
Ohio Post Office, located a few miles east of Appleton City on Highway A was located about a mile and a half from its present location.
The owner of the store where the post office was located was Robert McGaugthey, who also served as postmaster.
It was later moved to its present location in July of 1882. S.G. Craig was listed as postmaster at that date.
In the early 1900’s, A.A. Johnson had a general store at that location. Before 1920, the Wishard family purchased the Ohio Post Office and store. The old Wishard home was on the northwest corner of the intersecion at Ohio.
‘Dutch’ Long operated the store at different times during the 1920s and 1930s. His son, Harry ‘Short’ Long was a partner with his father
before Dutch went to Chalk Level to operate the store there. Short’s brother, Elton and his wife Leta, operated the store and filling station from 1953 until 1963. A Mr. Walker was the last one to operate the Ohio Store.
The Wishard family had built the filling station next door to the store about 1927 and when the store closed, the filling station building
was sold to the Frontier Village in Adrian, Mo.