St. Clair Co., MO History 1883:
In Osage Township, lead indications are more numerous than in any other section of the county, although both Collins and Doyal claim to possess this metal in large quantities. In this portion of the township are the famous Monegaw Springs, whose wealth of mineral and healing waters will yet make it a Mecca for the invalids of the state. Some three miles east of these springs is a white sulphur spring of great medicinal quality, and one of the most pleasant to the taste of any of the medical waters in the county. This spring is found on the northwest quarter of the northwest quarter of section 27, township 38, range 26, and is called the Salt Creek Springs. John C. Looney was the first owner of these springs. Dr. John Elliott settled near these springs in 1850, opened a general store near them and tried to get up a summer resort, but failed simply because transportation was not to be found except on horseback and in wagons for twenty-five or thirty miles.