Roscoe has had a Post Office during the years 1867 through present.
St. Clair Co., MO Library Files:
A Short History of Roscoe
Editor’s note: The following essay was awarded the two dollar prize as being the best theme submitted in the Roscoe high school contest. It is being published exactly as written.
“Roscoe is no doubt the most hilly, rugged and stony township in St. Clair County except Washington.
It is bounded on the north by the Osage River and on the east by the Sac River.
The township had the honor of having the first log cabin within the county. Jacob Coonce the noted hunter and trapper erected a cabin in the spring of 1831 on section 11.
As the county being settled and filled quickly; among the first settlers were the Kelsos being followed by Huffman, Beal, Bell and Wright Hill who had the first horse mill. John Smarr was the first sheriff of St. Clair County.
A subscription school was organized in 1838 by the neighbors in an old log cabin. James Brady taught the first term. Lew R. Ashworth was the first preacher of the township, also the school house was the first place of worship in the township. The present facilities of education are good.
The first store of Roscoe was owned by Patrick Shields who operated near the ferry, at the same time a blacksmith shop was opened by John Bedell.
Roscoe township became in existence February 11, 1870. The petition was drawn up and circulated in October 1869 asking for the division from Speedwell township. The original village was located on the river by the ferry and not until after the war was it removed to its present location. The land belonged to William Goetz, the town at that time was a flourishing village and many years it was the largest town in the county with a population at one time of six hundred.
It was on the Southwest trail from Sedalia and grew in commerce and size as the stage coach and wagons stopped over night.
Roscoe is one of the oldest settled towns in the county, it was among the first to aspire to the dignity of an incorporated town.”
By Braden Strohm,
Missouri History Encyclopedia, 1901:
Roscoe, a village in St. Clair County, eleven miles southwest of Osceola, the county seat. It has a public school, and Baptist and Christian churches. In 1899 the population was 225. The original village was on the Osage River, and at one time had a population of 600. The residences were brought back to the bluff, about 1868, the year in which the village was incorporated.
Missouri Gazetteer and Business Directory, 1881:
Roscoe – Located on the Osage River, in the southern central part of the St. Clair County, ten miles south west of Osceola (county seat court house), Appleton City twenty miles north west, or Schell City, an equal distance west, are its shipping points. The river is navigable to this point, and the village contains a grade school and a population of 250. Ships butter, eggs, hogs and grain. Mail stage to Schell City, tri-weekly. Mrs. Cynthia S. Shucker, postmaster.
Henderson, T. – physician
Houston, Thomas – saddler
Mills, L.W. – general store
Secrist, W.H. – druggist
Shackelford, W.F. – hotel propr.
Waymier & Bro. – blacksmiths
Wood, John – saloon
History of St. Clair Co., pp. 1063, 1064:
Roscoe - It is said that the original village was located on
the river near the ferry, and that not until after the Civil War was it carried to the bluff, its present location. The land was owned by William Goetz. It was then quite a flourishing village and for many years, was, in fact the largest town in the county, numbering about 600. Following the completion of the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, Appleton City soon outgrew Roscoe and by 1870 the population had fallen off nearly one-half, or a population of 302 and within 29 even that of Osceola.
Where the present village of Roscoe stands, Abraham Copenhaver lived and erected the first house on its site, but it was then his farm but by moving the town back and over the bluff, he placed it on his land. The first house was erected by H. Burch, in 1867. It was a business house and he was the first merchant, Dr. G. Selsby was the first physician, Jacob Kehart the first blacksmith, and E. M. Lutz the first carpenter. It being one of the oldest settled towns or villages in the county, it was among the first to aspire to the dignity of an incorporated town. On August 3, 1868, a petition was presented to the county court asking for an order of incorporation of the town of Roscoe
Condensed early history from St. Clair County Library Files - Book by Darl H. Barnett:
In 1896 a meeting was held at the home of John Pyle to discuss the building of a church in Roscoe Township. This church was to become Mt. Olive Church. Mr. Reynolds supplied the wood and the fine pecan logs were hauled to the Harman Saw Mill in Roscoe.
History of St. Clair County, page 1063:
It is said that the original village was located on the river near the ferry and that not until after the war was it carried to the bluff, its present location.
The land was owned by William Goetz. It was then quite a flourishing village and for many years, was the largest town in the county,
numbering at one time, about 600 in population.
It was on the southwest trail from Sedalia, in the days of wagons and stage coaches to the southwest and it grew and flourished. The hotel was kept by Matilda Hart and was erected in 1867.
The Missouri Kansas & Texas Railroad, when completed, caused the rapid decline of Roscoe and the building up of Appleton City. In 1870, it had fallen off nearly one-half and had a population of 302. From 1870 to 1880 the population was reduced to 172.
In 1869, I. B. Boyle started a newspaper called The Roscoe Gazette. He died in 1870 and Charles Daniel became publisher with Dr. Kibber, the
editor. It was moved to Osceola the same year.
The public school was a two story brick building.
The first house was erected by H. Burch in 1867. It was a business house and he was the first merchant. Dr. G. Selby was the first physician, Jacob Kehard the first blacksmith, E.M. Lutz first carpenter.
Postmasters: William H. Manning, Charles Gardner, Mr. Parks, Henry Swan, Alonzo Ray, Joseph St Clair, Miss Shucker, Miss Jessie Allen,
Miss Perry Pepper, Frank S. Oyer.
St. Clair County, MO History, 1883, pages 956-957:
THE FIRST MILL
The first water mill was put up in 1841 on the Sac River, southwest from Osceola about ten miles. It was known for miles around by the name
of Ritchie Mill. It was, with one exception, the only mill of the kind in the county for several years. It had two runs of burrs and did a good business.
The next mill that is remembered was put up in 1845. James Gardner, one of the first Justices of Peace in the county, erected a mill on
Weaubleau Creek in Polk Township. It was a grist and saw mill and had an extensive patronage, especially east and south. The mill stood for about ten years when high water carried it off.
In 1867, a practical mechanic and miller by the name of A.M. Fuqua settled in the county. He was the builder of nearly every mill in the county from that day to this. He is now a prominent citizen of Osceola and the proprietor of one and joint proprietor with his son in the two mills located in the county seat.
The Wagner Mill was built in 1867 with two runs of burrs.
Mr. Brown erected a mill the same year on the Osage near where the present flouring mills stand. It was taken down and moved to the Sac to saw the lumber for the $6000 bridge across that historic stream. From there it went to Vernon county, then back to Sac River and finally found a resting place at Osceola as property of Mr. Fuqua. A saw and grist mill was put up in 1869 with two runs of burrs.
One of these mills. before the war, was owned by James Talley, on the Osage, at Talley Bend.
Samuel Martin put up a mill on the Weaubleau in 1873 in the corner of Doyal township and it was kept running for four years. It was then
sold and taken to Roscoe.