St. Clair Co., MO History, 1883:
Page 1061 - Roscoe Township - Wright Hill had a horse mill in 1837 and this was patronized far and near.
Page 837 - Third store in county was Patrick Shields, on the north side of the river on section 8, Roscoe Township, at the Hoffman ferry.
Page 1062 - The first store in the Township (Roscoe) was by Patrick Shields who opened up near the ferry and at the same time and place a blacksmith shop went into operation by the strong arms of John Bedell. This was in the spring of 1840.