St. Clair County, MO History, 1883:
Page 835 - The Land of the Guiacutas - South of the Osage, in what is now Speedwell Township, there came in 1838, James M. Breckenridge, James Anderson, Allen Phillips, William, Joseph, Randolph and John Whitley and Mack H. Goode. Others settled in this neighborhood soon after.
Page 871 - BROWNS MILL and BOOTS MILL were voting precincts in Speedwell Twp in 1860.
In January, 1860, Osceola was given three voting precincts, Monegaw and Speedwell two and the other townships remained with one each.
Osceola took two sides of the courthouse and the OLD SNYDER MILL, so called on Muddy Creek, then owned by James Addington. Monegaw at BOOTS MILL and at the town of MANOA.
Speedwell - Pleasant Springs Schoolhouse and at BROWNS MILL on Clear Creek. The others at their usual places of voting
From St. Clair County Library Files:
The original town of Tiffin was at the confluence of Little Clear Creek and Big Clear Creek, several miles north of the present town of Tiffin. From the “History of Henry and St. Clair Counties we learned that Tiffin was the only village and post office in Speedwell Township.
At that time, Clear Creek was a large stream and there was a mill known as Pape’s Mill
owned by Gideon Pape. He owned the land and put up the first store in 1876. In July 1876 the first post office in Speedwell Township was established and Gideon Pape was Postmaster. Old Tiffin later became known as Pape.