St. Clair County, MO History, 1883, page 1011:
APPLETON CITY MILLS - C. Shoe & Son, proprietors is situated near the business portion of the town, west of the depot.
The building is a two and a half story frame with a basement and is forty feet front by fifty feet deep with a two story addition twenty by fifty. There are four runs of French burrs with a grinding capacity of 75 barrels per day. The engine is thirty horsepower, of good workmanship and the quality of flour unexcelled. Messrs Shoe & Son bought this mill at Taberville and moved it here four years ago.
History of St. Clair County, Missouri, 1883:
Appleton City dates its birth but a short time in advance of the iron horse, or what is known as the Tebo and Neosho R.R., now the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad. The town was not so first named. In 1868, William M. Prier (also Prior), purchased the ground that is now embraced within the city limits of Appleton and platted a portion for a town. He failed to realize it at that time. In 1870, the only building on the site where now stands the city of Appleton City was a small frame house belonging to William Prier. Appleton City, in Appleton Township, was incorporated December 5, 1870. A flouring mill was owned by Messrs. Rycroft and Moore, and was called the Taberville Mill. It was bought by Messrs. Shoe & Son. The first building placed upon the new town site was brought from near Rockville, by Charles Speddin, and placed upon Lot 14, block 15, and occupied as a store.