UPPER OSCEOLA MILL
1883 History of St. Clair County MO, National Historical Co., pg. 1159:
James Fletcher Corbin, one of the earliest settlers of St. Clair County, was born December 31, 1831. His father, David Corbin, a Virginian by birth, born in 1790, was married in 1813, to Miss Annie Erwin, originally of Kentucky. Their family consisted of eleven children, of whom James was the youngest. In 1839 the senior Corbin removed with his family to St. Clair County, Missouri, they being among the pioneers here. In the fall following his arrival (1839), he erected his first dwelling of round logs, it being just fourteen feet square, and in this house of one room, fifteen persons ate and slept for seven months. The next spring an addition was placed upon it, which when completed, measured 20x18 feet. During this time the meat used by them was procured with the rifle. Mr. Corbin and his sons built the first frame house erected in Osceola. This structure was constructed of whipsawed lumber, sawed by them, and after being finished it was occupied by a Frenchman as a tailor shop. This was located near the present site of the Upper Osceola Mill. James F. Corbin resided with his father until 1853, when he was married to Miss Nancy O. Beckley of this county, and a daughter of John W. Beckley. They have eleven children: Anna L., David F., Susan M., John H., James W. Nancy B., Carolina B., Joseph P., William T., Leona M., and Mary J. Mr. C., through his own industry and good management, has accumulated a good competency, now owning a farm of 200 acres.