Located in Appleton Township, later became Appleton City
State of Missouri, History of St. Clair County:
Article published in local newspaper, 6 October 1870
Many will ask where and how large the town of Arlington is. It is the first station in St. Clair County, on the Missouri, Kansas and Texas Railroad, and, although laid out but a couple of weeks since, is a town of considerable size. From a gentleman who visited the town one day this week we learn that there are some thirty good buildings completed and under construction, and double or treble that number under contract. The town of Arlington was platted on September 22, 1870.
Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri,
Conrad, Volume 1:
The town of Appleton City was platted in 1868 by William M. Prior under the name of Arlington. It developed but little until 1870 when it was replatted under its present name.