Listed as Monegan Township on census prior to 1880.
History of St. Clair County, Mo., 1883, p. 1021:
"Bunkem" Anderson, so-called, started the first horse-mill, down on or near the creek, in 1834, southwest of Johnson City. The first school was taught in an old log-cabin put up for school purposes at Copperas Springs in 1846. That was the first school house erected, but several years before that a Dr. Trotter taught a school about 1843, and the cabin he taught in was burned by the boys. They got tired of their teacher, and brought the winter term to a sudden end. On Reid's Creek in 1857, there was a grist mill and a saw mill put up. It had two runs of stones and was called the Monegaw Mills. It disappeared during the troubles.
Page 871 - In January, 1860, Osceola was given three voting precincts, Monegaw and Speedwell two and the other townships remained with one each. Osceola took two sides of the courthouse and the Old Snyder Mill, so called on Muddy Creek, then owned by James Addington. Monegaw at Boots Mill and at the town of Manoa.
Speedwell - Pleasant Springs Schoolhouse and at Browns Mill on Clear Creek. The others at their usual places of voting