CHURCH INDEX PAGE
HOME PAGE


MARVIN CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH
Located  at 4805 Cedar Run Road (Highway K), Bonne Terre, MO 63628


marvin_chapel.jpg (24436 bytes)


CHURCH DIRECTORY --------- JULY 1978


corbin_jimmie.jpg (11119 bytes)
Pastor Jimmie E. Corbin

 

My Dear Friends in Christ:

The pictures and names in this directory are the people who are the church -- the Body of Christ. We have taken our vows and committed ourselves to the mission of the church, given to us by Christ Himself for the glory of God, the reconciliation of man to God, and man to man.

We are told that it is a mark of our times to be impersonal and uninvolved -- to keep everyone from us at arms-length. But, we are the church! We need to know one another, love one another, and in harmonious Christian spirit labor together for the cause of Christ in our communities.

This pictorial directory has been prepared to make it easy for all of us to get acquainted, to know names and faces, and then to love one another more; and therefore, more effectively serve our Lord in unity of spirit. Christian love and fellowship are the Keys to the Kingdom.

                                                                                                                          corbin_sig.jpg (6195 bytes)

goodrich_robert.jpg (11851 bytes) laturner_ivan.jpg (10199 bytes)

HISTORY OF MARVIN CHAPEL UNITED METHODIST CHURCH

The present Marvin Chapel United Methodist Church, located on Highway K, five miles east of Bonne Terre, was originally located on Dry Branch and was called Liberty Stone Church. The deed shows that this original property was conveyed by Richard C. Poston and wife, dated 1844.

The church located on Dry Branch kept its original name, Liberty Stone Church, until the congregation chose to move to the present location in 1882 and took the name of Marvin Chapel, after the late Bishop Enoch M. Marvin. At that time another small Methodist Church, Boyer's Chapel, closed its doors, and members came from it to the new Marvin Chapel Church. The property for the new church was conveyed by Mr. George Hutchings to the trustees. The new church building was dedicated September 6, 1886. This building continued in use until destroyed by fire, November 8, 1953.

hutchings_geo.jpg (13072 bytes)
Inscription of  back side of tombstone of George W. Hutchings in Marvin Chapel Cemetery.

There were many problems to contend with in those early days! But in spite of muddy roads and cold winters, services were held on a fairly regular basis. Since the coming of rock roads in 1910, and later blacktop, the church has had an unbroken history of weekly Sunday School for children, youth and adults in the community.

marvin_chapel_ss.jpg (39013 bytes)
The above photograph depicts a Sunday School class at Marvin Chapel (circa 1903).  Individuals are identified as follows: 
Bottom row:  Gustine (Buscher) Sandter, Nora (Blankenship) Sloan, Hattie (Waller) Boyd, Nettie (Buchanan) Spurgeon, Lucinda (Elders) Rosener, Betty (Kannawurf/Kannawarf) Shumack, and Fanny (Blankenship) Dace. 
Second row:  Julia (Cruncleton) Cole, Lulu (Landolt) Reed, Hattie (Mostiller) Byington, Mary McCarty, Cora (Morris) Coffield, Nora (Day) Stanfield, Laura (Pigg) Richardson, Lulu Richardson and Nina (Breham - Benham?) Smith. 
Back row:   Annie (Cruncleton) Holmes, Myrtle (Cook) Aubuchon, Mary (Pigg) Snyder, Mary  (Mostiller/Mosteller) McClintock, Tilda (Benham) Pratte, Ida (McCarty) Pratte, Mrs. Cole, Jean (Mostiller/Mosteller) Eaton, Lizzie (Landolt) Renz, and Della (Benham) Sickman. 

This photo was published in the Lead Belt News in the late 1940's or early 1950's as part of their Old Time Picture series.  The names are borrowed from David Darnell's pictorial history book, St. Francois County Looking Back, Volume II, which is available on our publications page.

In its early beginnings the church was supplied by a circuit rider who came once a month. In the last several years the church has had a weekly Lord's Day worship service. [Click HERE to view photos of the 1978 Marvin Chapel Church family as they share in the fellowship of their church. ] 

cornerstone.jpg (23232 bytes)
Cornerstone located on West  side of  front wall of Marvin Chapel Church

The present brick structure was constructed in the spring of 1954, and the first service in the unfinished building was held on May 16, 1954. The new building was dedicated on December 8, 1957. The church held an all day service with a basket dinner at noon. Dr. Roy Brown, district superintendent, spoke at the morning service, and Bishop Eugene Frank held the dedication service at 2 p.m.

The church has a very lovely facility, and under the guidance of God its members are expectant of great and wonderful things in the future.

mc_doors.jpg (17828 bytes)

The public is always welcome to share in the ministry of Marvin Chapel United Methodist Church.

sign.jpg (57371 bytes)

Please Note: We have only listed the names and addresses of the persons whose pictures appear in this directory.
[Click on names to view pictures]

-- B --
 
BYINGTON, Irene
6 Harrison
Farmington, Mo.  
BYINGTON, Kenneth, Glenda, & Duane
108 St. Joseph St.
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
BYINGTON, Margaret M.
802 So. "A" St.
Farmington, Mo.
 
-- C --
 
CLAYBORNE, Judy & Robb
COPELAND, Lisa & MEYER, Lori
721 KREI Blvd.
Farmington, Mo.  

-- D --
 
DAVID, Frank & Mabel
Route 1
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
DAVID, John, Eileen, & John W. (Korky)
Route 1
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
DAVID, Kenneth D., Shirley A., Lauri & Lance
Route 1
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
DOE, Albert & Shelton (Kelly)
138 SW Main St.
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- G --
 
GAUGEL, Dennis F., Debra G.,
Deun S. & Dustin S.
221 Fite Street
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- H --
 
HOW, David
Route 1, Box 126
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
HOW, Walter C. Marie, Walter T.,
Samuel R. & James R.
Route 1, Box 126
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- K --
 
KERNAN, Sandra & Thomas
WILKINSON, Craig & Tricia
19 Trimfoot Terrace
Farmington, Mo.
 
-- L --
 
LANDOLT, Jessie
Fleur-De Lis Nursing Home
Farmington, Mo.  
LANDOLT, Loretta J.
432 Allen Street N.
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- M --

McCARTY, Burgess B. & Nora M.
Route 1
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
McCARTY, Iva B.
Route 1
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
McCARTY, Maxine, STEGALL, Gabrielle
Route 1
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
MERRITT, Bennie & Annabelle V.
Route 1, Box 403
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
MEYERS, William M., Virginia, Bill & John
Route 1, Box 306
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
MOON, William & Doris
Route 1
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 


MORRIS, Annie
203 N. Division St.
Bonne Terre, Mo.
MORRIS, Donald, Virgie, & Steve
Route 1, Box 105
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
MORRIS, Gary D. & Sally K.
905 E. 6th Street
Rolla, Mo. 65401  
MUND, Dale, Barbara & Gary
Route 1, Box 116
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
MUND, Donald D., Eva M. & Beverly D.
627 N. Division St.
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
MUND, Iva
Buchhiet Drive
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
MUND, Lehman & Shirley
Route 1, Box 116
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
MUND, Sophia & Paul
Route 1, Box 116
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- N --
 
NEIBECKER, Bill H. & Karen
Route 2
Farmington, Mo.
 
-- O --
 
OLSON, Norman & Helen
Route 1, Box 349
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- P --
 
PETTUS, Dallam, Grace, Retha,
Dallam, Brian, Lisa & Christopher
Route 1, Box 96
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
PETTUS, Dan
214 Cross Street
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
PETTUS, Norman, Nancy, Chad,
PIERCE, Keith
Route 1, Box 325
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- R --
 
REDDICK, Grace E. & Ethel M.
Route 1, Evanko Road
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
REDECKER, Daniel C., Wilma,
Walter J. & Daniel E.
Route 1, Box 260
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
ROKOSKY, Alberta Boyd
7905 Delmont Ave.
St. Louis, Mo. 63123  
ROUSSIN, Robert J., Donald R.
& Anna Mae
Route 1, Box 305
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- S --
SICKMAN, Edna
Route 1
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- T --
 
THURMAN, Trustin E. & Leola H.
Route 1, Box 71
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
TRIPP, Danny C. & Rose L.
Route 1, Box 148
Bonne Terre, Mo.  
TUCKER, Dorothy
Route 1, Box 142
Bonne Terre, Mo.
 
-- W --
 
WALLEN, James A. & Linda D.
Route 1, Box 105
Bonne Terre, Mo.

NOTE: Please keep in mind that above Directory was prepared in 1978.  Some of the people listed above may now be deceased.  Also, many of  the photos on this page, both above and below,  were not included in original directory/article,  but have been added now merely for illustration/enhancement purposes.


TREATED TO ONE SQUARE MEAL.
[Bonne Terre Star Register, July 3, 1914]

     Several wagons loads of Bonne Terre people drove out to Marvin Chapel last Sunday [June 28, 1914] to attend the basket dinner.     
     As early as nine o'clock people began arriving at the church, and from then until late in the evening, when all had departed for home, a cloud of dust could be seen rising from the road because of the coming and going of a long string of wagons, buggies, automobiles, etc.  It was estimated that as many as 500 were on the grounds during the day.
     At 11 o'clock the church had been filled and the Children's Day exercises were begun.  Mr. William David, Supt. of the Marvin Chapel Sunday School, conducted the program, and the numbers on it were quickly given.  The children very capably acquitted themselves in the performance of each number and the selections by the senior choir were splendid.  After a few remarks by Rev. Sitton at the close of the program, while a collection amounting to $9.70 was being taken up, benediction was pronounced and all adjourned for dinner.
     The good old fashioned dinner spread on the grounds was eagerly attacked by the large crowd and partly disposed of in a short time.  The quality of "eats" was a credit to the usual high standard of the Marvin Chapel folks.
     After dinner, the crowd disbanded for a short visit of visiting and every one was made to feel  at home by the sociable and kindly manner in which they were approached.
     At 1:30 a program was rendered by the Bonne Terre W.C.T.C. and all departed through the clouds of dust which could be seen June 28, 1914.


HISTORY OF MARVIN CHAPEL CEMETERY
By Mrs. R. A. Willa (1973)

mc1.jpg (7605 bytes) mc2.jpg (9796 bytes) mc3.jpg (6471 bytes)

    To fully appreciate the history of the Marvin Chapel Cemetery one needs to turn back the clock of time and take a look at the customs practiced at the beginning of this century when a death occurred in a country community.  It was the neighbors who came in and prepared the body for burial.  If burial clothes were needed the ladies of the neighborhood made them and it was the neighbors who sat up all night in the home with the corpse. Last but not least it was the men of the community who opened and closed the grave free of charge.  It had also been the custom for many years that the rural people buried their dead in small private burying grounds called Family Grave Yards.  Most of these Family Grave Yards were rather small plots of ground and only the closest of kin could bury there but there were a few that would permit the more distant kin to be buried in them.  One can readily see why the people back in the  1800's like to bury their dead close to their homes.  All the roads were dirt roads which in bad weather would become almost impassable for only horse drawn vehicles were used.

    There were living in what is known as the Marvin Chapel Community at the beginning of this century, a Mr. J. Walter Harrington, his wife, Elba Buchanan Harrington and their two children.  Mr. Harrington, though just a young man, became ill and soon was unable to perform the chores of farming and sold their farm.  Mr. and Mrs. Harrington relocated in a nearby town but in no time Mr. Harrington became so ill Mrs. Harrington knew she must get him to where she would have help in caring for her sick husband.  In those days there were no available hospitals or rest homes to place the very ill for special care.  Due to this situation, Mrs. Harrington moved her sick husband into her parents' home who also lived in the Marvin Chapel Community.

    Mr. Harrington and his family knew by this time that his illness was terminal and the question of where he could be buried was foremost in their minds.  Mrs. Harrington, who was a descendant of both the Patterson and Richardson families made them eligible to bury in either the Patterson or Richardson Grave Yards.  Upon investigation it was found that all the lots in both Grave Yards had been spoken for.   The Richardson Grave Yard had been in use since 1823 and the Patterson Grave Yard was full for records show that following Mr. Harrington's death there was only one more grave placed in that Grave Yard.

    There was living in this same Community a Mr. Samuel L. McCarty, who was a rather large land owner.  I'm sure there were discussions as to where to look for a site for a new burying ground in the Community for it was plain to see that one was badly needed. Mr. McCarty's land lay in the midst of the Community but his family had been burying for years in a little Church Yard called Charter Cemetery located in Jefferson County, Missouri, and he wasn't the least bit interested in another Cemetery.

    In the meanwhile, Mr. Harrington was growing weaker and it was known that he could not live much longer.  Mr. McCarty heard how Mr. Harrington was failing and decided to make a friendly call to his close neighbor Mr. Augustus B. Buchanan's home.   While there he went in to see Mr. Harrington who was so very ill.  Before Mr. McCarty left his room, Mr. Harrington looked pleadingly into Mr. McCarty's eyes and said "Mr. McCarty, I would so love to be buried in your field located along the road."  Mr. Harrington went on to describe the very spot where he would like to be buried.  Mr. McCarty was not an unkind man, but he went away without giving him an answer but in his heart he knew he could not refuse the dying man's request.

    Mr. J. Walter Harrington passed away on May 16th, 1903 at the age of thirty-five years, two months and 21 days.  His grave became the first grave in the new burying ground of the Community.  Mr. McCarty not only gave Mr. Harrington a burial place but he also gave a nice acreage of his land to be used in establishing a new Community Cemetery. 

1stburial2.jpg (37124 bytes) 1stburial1.jpg (28034 bytes)

    When Mr. Harrington was buried the field had been planted in corn and the corn was up and several inches high.  To protect the grave until the corn crop could be cultivated and harvested, a rail fence was placed around his grave.

    In less than two months little Nellie Olive Cruncleton died on July 14th, 1903.   She was the eighteen months old daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Willard S. Cruncleton and on September 6th, 1903 an infant son of Mr. and Mrs. Edd [sic Ed] Harrington named Ernest died at the age of 21 days, thus bringing the total of three graves in the new Cemetery that year.

1stburial.jpg (23079 bytes)
Second burial at Marvin Chapel Cemetery

3rdburial.jpg (35184 bytes)
Third burial at Marvin Chapel Cemetery

    Cemetery was started it was decided that the government of the Cemetery should be handled by a revolving Committee consisting of three members.   Three interested man were chosen for this task.  There was no limit put on them as to how long they might serve but when they could no longer fulfill their duties it would be the duty of the remaining members to select a replacement.  All business matters were handled by this Committee.  The Cemetery was started in the month of May, 1903 but little could be done to it until after the corn crop had been harvested in the fall.  One of the first things needed was a new fence.  Mr. John Hipes who was a carpenter offered his services and Mr. David Benham offered to assist Mr. Hipes and in no time there was a pretty board fence around the Cemetery.

    The Committee then had the cemetery charted.  The lots were large and after the pathways were marked off the average lot held fourteen graves. 

    Since this was not a purely family cemetery it was decided to call it Marvin Chapel Cemetery.  It was given this name due to the fact that it was located in sight of Marvin Chapel Methodist Church.  Actually the Church owned no part of the Cemetery.  As time passed more and more people wanted lots until in about the year of 1918 the Committee decided it best that they enlarge the Cemetery and purchased a strip of land on the West side of the Cemetery.  As soon as the lots were charted they started selling and by the early part of the 1930's the Cemetery was in need of more land.   This time the Committee bought a much wider strip of land located on the East side of the Cemetery.  This brought the entire acreage of the Cemetery to approximately seven acres.  The sale of the lots continued and from the proceeds of those sales the Cemetery Committee was able to improve and add more driveways to the Cemetery, which was needed at this time.

mc4.jpg (36467 bytes)
Sharon O'Brien White's final resting place at Marvin Chapel Cemetery is under the shade of her favorite tree, a beautiful Weeping Willow,  which was planted in her honor after her burial in 1995. 

    In May of this year of 1973, Marvin Chapel Cemetery passed its seventieth birthday.  It now is a beautiful  cemetery containing many beautiful grave stones.   It is centrally located along Highway K.  It is level enough to be viewed from any location and is elevated enough to insure good drainage.  In fact, I can think of no other Country Cemetery that is as pretty as Marvin Chapel Cemetery.  Now, that all the lots have been sold, and unless more land is made available, the Cemetery has reached its final dimensions.  It will be in use for many years to come for there are many unused graves.  Marvin Chapel Cemetery has come a long ways from its first grave with a rail fence around it and located in a muddy corn field.  In fact, from the very beginning of this cemetery we find that love and sacrifice was in the lives of the men who made it a reality and helped to govern it for these seventy years.  It was love for humanity that caused Mr. Samuel L. McCarty to grant the dying wish of Mr. Harrington and it was love for his neighbors that he sacrificed some of his valuable land so that they too might have a desirable burying ground for their dead.  It was love for all mankind that this Cemetery was made a non-sectarian cemetery where anyone who so desired could be buried there regardless of their religious belief and to whom they might be related.

    Seventy years have passed and I can think of no better time to call attention to all of the governing Committees of Marvin Chapel Cemetery who have served at different times during these seventy years.  They all shared in a common dream which was to do all in their power to make Marvin Chapel Cemetery a beautiful final resting place for their dead.  There are no records that enumerate all the tasks that they performed while in office, but if there were, it would take up a lot of space in this history to relate them.  There also are no records to show the exact time each member served, how long he served and by whom he was replaced.  I do not think that it is too important since we know that each one at his appointed time performed his duties with love and sacrifice.  Some served on the Committee for many years and some remained on the Committee until their death.  All the Past Committee members are dead.  The present Committee Members have a new dream.  They have set into motion by law whereby Marvin Chapel Cemetery can establish perpetual care.  This is a beautiful dream and I hope it will come true.  When this does take place there will be a new appointed committee of five members who will take over the affairs of the Cemetery.  This will mean the end of the Three Member Committee rule.  Figuratively it will be "The Changing of the Guard."

    It is to the Memory of the Committee Members of "The Old Guard" who are now gone and to honor the Living Members that I dedicate this History of Marvin Chapel Cemetery. 

    Their names are as follows:  John H. Cook, William M. Cruncleton, William E. David, David H. Benham, John Edward Landolt, Joseph F. Walter, Andrew W. David, Claude C. McCarty, Gaston (Red) Eaton, Linn E. McCarty, Frank David, Mabel (Landolt) David.

    The above material was compiled by Mrs. Hazel Murphy Willa.  Note -- I offer my sincere thanks to all who assisted me in compiling these records.  Dated -- Sept. 18, 1973.


CLICK HERE TO VIEW LISTING OF BURIALS IN MARVIN CHAPEL CEMETERY. 


If anyone has a photo of the original Marvin Chapel Church building which was dedicated in 1882, or a picture of the Liberty Stone Church, we would really appreciate receiving scans of same so we can include them on this page.  Please click HERE to e-mail us.    Note:  The phone number for Marvin Chapel Church is (573) 358-7820.  Please do not contact them about cemetery records, however, because the church does not own the cemetery.


CHURCH INDEX PAGE
HOME PAGE