Search billions of records on Ancestry.com



A B C D E FG H J K L M NO
P R S TU W Y




P.P. Reed

P.P. Reed, another successful farmer, whose postoffice is at Bloomfield was born in Warren County, Ky., March 27, 1827 and is the son of John and Ida (Lowe) Reed, natives of North Carolina and Kentucky, respectively. The father was of Scotch-Irish descent, and the mother of Welsh. The former immigrated to Kentucky when but a youth, married there and remained until 1837 when he immigrated to Stoddard County, Mo., coming through in wagons. They stopped about one mile east of Bloomfield, where the father built a little log cabin covered with clapboards and wight poles, puncheon floors, etc. Here they continued to reside, suffering all the privations incident to pioneer life. In 1855 or 1856 Mr. Reed entered eighty acres of land, about one and a half miles northwest of where his son, P.P. now resides. He died in this county in 1880. The mother is still living, and resides with her daughter. They were the parents of eight children, five of whom are now living: Pryor P., Sarah (wife of George Pollock), Julia, Jane (also married) and Elizabeth. Those deceased are William James and Nancy. Pryor P. Reed, the subject of this sketch, was about seven years of age when he came to Stoddard County with his parents. He remained at home until he became of age, and attended the little log schoolhouse, situated four or five miles from his home, in order to secure an education. As might be expected his education was rather limited and a boy who could read and write in those days was considered a good scholar. In 1849 he married Miss Matilda Taylor, a daughter of Abraham Taylor, one of the first settlers of this county. To this union were born six children, four now living: William, Vadey, Nancy and Classinda. Those deceased were Anderson and Mary. Mrs. Reed died in 1866 and Mr. Reed then married Mary Oaks, by whom he had one child, Ida. After his first marriage Mr. Reed entered a farm at Castor River, where he lived for three years. In 1846 he removed to where he is now living and entered 160 acres of land, nearly all heavily timbered, on which he erected a log cabin. He now owns about 156 acres of land, eighty under cultivation and well improved. When he first settled, on his present property, wild game was abundant, and Mr. Reed has seen as many as ten or fifteen deer feeding, while standing in his door. There were plenty of bears and elks, and the nights were rendered hideous by the howling of the wolves. All this is now changed and Mr. Reed has been a witness to these changes. He and Mrs. Reed are members of the Baptist church, to which he has belonged for thirty-five years.


W.P. Renner

W.P. Renner, druggist at Bloomfield, a native of the city of St. Louis, Mo., was born in October, 1844 and is the son of Daniel and Mary (Barrack) Renner, both natives of Germany. They left their native country and came to America first locating in St. Charles County, but afterward settled in St. Louis, where he remained several years. He then removed to Hancock County, Ill, where he was engaged in farming, which occupation he carried on until the high water there drove him out, when he became disgusted, moved to Warsaw, Ill., and there died in January 1884, at the age of seventy-six. The mother died a few months after his death. They were the parents of five children, who lived to be grown and three of whom are now living: Elizabeth (wife of John A. Koch), William P. and Margaret (wife of John Kahler). William P. Was reared in Warsaw, Ill., until thirteen years of age. He came to Bloomfield in 1858 and learned the saddler's trade under his brother Daniel. He served three years. In 1861 he went to Cape Girardeau and worked in the quartermaster's department at his trade during the whole service. At the close of the war he came back to Bloomfield and he and his brother started a harness shop, which they carried on until 1875, when his brother died. He was running a drug store, and at his death William P. took charge of the same and conducted both drug store and harness shop. When the town of Dexter first started up, he moved the drug business to that point and here built one of the first business houses in Dexter, where he carried on business for some time. He has been a resident of Bloomfield for thirty years and has been identified as one of its best citizens. He was elected county treasurer in 1882 and held the office two concessive terms. He was married in 1875 to Elizabeth Smith, a native of Stoddard County. To them were born four children: Mary, Carrie, Daniel and Gertrude. Mr. Renner is a member of the Masonic Fraternity and I.O.O.F.


Pleasant M. Rhodes

Pleasant M. Rhodes, son of George W. and Sarah (Kinder) Rhodes, was born in Bollinger County, Mo., May 20, 1830. George W. was born in North Carolina, December 10, 1808 and was but five years old when his parents moved from North Carolina to Southeast Missouri, locating near Marble Hill, Bollinger county. He was a farmer and also a merchant, and sold goods for several years. He was justice of the peace for some time, and was also judge of Stoddard County for four years. He helped lay off the town of Bloomfield, and was a prominent citizen. The last few years before his death he practiced medicine, meeting with success. He was also successful in his mercantile and agricultural pursuits. He stood by the people during the cholera plague, and nursed many when they were forsaken by others. He died in Stoddard County, Mo., April 29, 1858. His wife was born in Bollinger County, Mo., in 1810 and died in Stoddard County, Mo., December 10, 1864. He was a Democrat in his political views and he and wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Of the family of four sons and four daughters born to this marriage, only two are now living. Pleasant M. and Samuel W. Rhodes, both living in Stoddard County. Pleasant M.'s advantages for receiving an education were limited, but by hard work on his own part he acquired more knowledge than the average. He remained at home and assisted his father on the farm and in the store until August 10, 1854, when he married Miss Elizabeth Masters, who was born in Bollinger County, Mo., June 2, 1838 and who died in Stoddard County July 7, 1864. To this union were born six children, two now living, Samuel W. and Marion J. January 15, 1865, Mr. Rhodes married Mrs. Columbia (McFerren) Welch, window of William Welch, who died in a Federal prison at St. Louis and daughter of Erin McFerren. She was born in 1835. Three children were born to this union: William M., Horatio Seymour and Murtice. The four children who died were named as follows: Ida May, Jennie, Lonnie and James. Mr. Rhodes started out for himself as a farmer, and this occupation he has since continued. Although Mr. Rhodes lost property during the war he is now the owner of 414 acres of good land. He is a good Democrat, a member of the Wheel and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.


J.S. Richardson

Dr. J.S. Richardson, representative of Stoddard County, Mo., was born in Lauderdale County, Tenn., July 7, 1840 and is the son of Dr. S. and Evaline (Hartwell) Richardson, natives of Virginia. They immigrated to Tennessee about 1830 and located in Rutherford County, where they lived for several years. They then removed to Lauderdale County, where they remained until July 1849 at which date they removed to Dyerburg, Dyer Co., Tenn., and here the father died in 1873, at the age of seventy-six years. He was a physician all his life and was a graduate of the Pennsylvania Medical College of Philadelphia. He began reading medicine in his youth and became quite a noted physician and prominent citizen. He represented his district in the Tennessee Legislature in 1858 and was a member when the war broke out. The mother is still living and resides in Dyersburg. She is now in her eighty-eighth year. They were the parents of eleven children, three of whom are now living: Mrs. Mary A. McGaughey, Col. T.E. and Dr. J.S. There were four brothers killed in the confederate army: H.H., colonel of the Ninth Tennessee Infantry, killed on Sunday April 6, 1862 at the battle of Shiloh; John, captain of Gen. Strahl's staff, killed at Franklin; Dr. Daniel M., who was assassinated in Dyer County, Tenn., by men belonging to the Third Illinois cavalry, while on his way to see a patient; and James L., who was killed at the battle of Perryville. Dr. J.S. Richardson was reared in Dyer County, Tenn., until fifteen years of age, when he entered the Union University at Murfreesboro, and there remained two years. He then entered the medical department of the Nashville University and graduated from the institution in 1860. At the breaking out of the late war, he enlisted in the Fourth Tennessee Infantry, commanded by Col. R.P. Neeley, and participated in all the principal engagements during the service. He remained with the Fourth until after the evacuation of Corinth, when he went with the fifteenth Tennessee cavalry, and served in this capacity until the close of the war. While in service he was captured several times; once, December 4, 1862, he was captured by the Eleventh Illinois Cavalry, and was taken to Memphis, whence on a pass and transportation furnished by Col. Robert G. Ingersoll, to Cairo, and from there by transport was sent to Vicksburg. They anchored on the 27th of December at the mouth of the Yazoo just above Vicksburg, when the fight was raging between Gen. Sherman and Gen. Camerson at Vicksburg. The transports, consisting of about 1,200 were ordered back up the river. In January 1863, they were taken to Alton prison, and here Dr. Richardson was kept prison until the middle of February, when he was sent to Camp Chase, Ohio, and was there kept until about the middle of April. He was then sent to City Point, Va., where he was exchanged and returned to his command. He here remained until the close of the war. January 4, 1864, he married Miss Mattie A. McDavid, by whom he had three children: John H., Eva H. and Mac S. In 1866 the Doctor removed to Gayoso, Pemiscot Co., Mo., where he practiced his profession for about three years. Then in 1869 he came to Stoddard County, and located at Bloomfield, where he has since been a resident, engaging in the active practice of his profession until 1884, when he retired from general practice. He was for several years a member of the town council and spent about ten years as president of the board of education of Bloomfield. In 1876 he was elected to the Legislature and re-elected in 1880. He was elected speaker pro tem, of the House, and in 1882 was re-elected. In 1886 he was re-elected to the Legislature and served through both regular and extra session of the present term. Dr. Richardson has been one of Stoddard County's most prominent citizens and a man who has taken a deep interest in the public welfare. Mrs. Richardson is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church South.


Daniel A. Richmond

Daniel A. Richmond, M.D., a successful practitioner of Stoddard County and the son of Alexander P. and Dovey (Gibson) Richmond, was born in Wilson County, Tenn., near Nashville, and near Gen. Jackson's hermitage, February 1, 1838. Alexander P. Richmond was at one time a physician, but gave up the profession to follow agricultural pursuits. He served as a soldier in the War of 1812. And was about sixty-three years of age at the time of his death. Daniel A. Richmond was but an infant when his mother died, and was only nine years of age when his father died. They were the parents of five children, three now living. Daniel A. was the youngest of this family. He received a liberal education at private schools, and after the death of his mother he went to live with his sister, where he remained until eighteen years of age. In 1855 he began to study medicine under a cousin, John B. Richmond, and in 1856 and 1857 he attended the medical department of the University of Nashville. He practiced medicine a short time in Wilson County, Tenn., after which he came to Kenton Station, Gibson County, Tenn., and after practicing in that State until 1863, went to Graves County, Ky., where he remained until the close of the war, and then returned to his old home. December 6, 1860, he married Tennessee Penn, a native of Gibson County, Tenn. She died January 6, 1866, leaving one son, Charles C., who was born July 27, 1863, and died September 24, 1879. October 15, 1867, Dr. Richmond married Mrs. Martha A. Whicker, a native of Rutherford County, Tenn., born September 16, 1844. Seven children were the result of this union, four now living: Anna Bell, Minnie E., Nannie May and Virginia Ollie. Those deceased were named Ada, Lockey, and Dovey. In 1871 Dr. Richmond came to Pike Township, Stoddard County, where he has since remained, and where he has an extensive practice. He is very conservative in his political views, and was a strong union man during the war and was very much opposed to that struggle. Mrs. Richmond is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church.


Richard J. Rolston

Richard J. Rolston, another prominent citizen of New Lisbon Township, and owner of a well improved and equally as well located farm bounding on Castor River, was born in Jackson County, Ind., in 1851, being the son of John and Sarah (Hopkins) Rolston, who where natives of Westmoreland County, Penn., and Kentucky, respectively. The father was a farmer by occupation and was a soldier in the War of 1812. He immigrated to Kentucky when a young man, married here, and then moved to Boone County, Ind., where he resided for some time. He then moved back to Trimble County, Ky., where he died in about 1876, at the age of seventy-six. The mother is still living, and is making her home with her son, Richard J., who was the youngest of twelve children, eight now living. In 1872 Richard J. Rolston married Miss Rose Ellen Lister, a daughter of John Lister, and a native of Boone County, Ind., born in 1858. To this union were born an interesting family of five children, three now living: Sophia E., Arra Ellen and Ethel. Those deceased are Maudie and Ollie. Mr. Rolston after marriage began farming, which he has since continued. In 1881 he started for Saline County, Mo., but stopped in Stoddard County, where he has since been living on the farm that he purchased at that time. He is a member of the Wheel, a Democrat in his political views, and he and wife are members of the Baptist Church.


© 2001 This page created and placed here by: Connie Perkins
May 2001 for MOGenWeb
This site is a part of the Stoddard County Missouri web site,
hosted by: Connie Perkins
Return to:
Stoddard County Web Site