Search billions of records on

Page Two


Archie Dale Klotz, beloved son of J.P. and Rebecca Klotz, born January 15, 1893, entered into eternal life Dec. 31, 1923.

"And when the Great Scorer comes, ‘till be not whether we lost or won, but how did we play the game."

Archie Dale Klotz played the game square. He loved life. It was sweet to him. It held so much for him. Youth, loved ones, friends, opportunities to make good in every way, in every thing, and he nobly fought to keep that life so dear. Industrious, a hard worker from his very childhood, and always a successful business manager. His pastor said of him, "He was a prince of a fellow." Another life-long friend gave this beautiful testimony to his sterling character, "Dale Klotz was square, honest in every fibre of his being. He hated crookedness. He never did a dishonest, underhanded thing in his life! His employers not only trusted him, but adored him."

He was a devoted Mason. He belonged to the "Shrine" at Little Rock, Ark; also the Consistory," at Little Rock; the Blue Lodge," and "Eastern Star," at Galena. And so this brave, stalwart soul, loving life with all its sweetness, its hopes, its dear delights, and holding on to very last ounce of his fast failing strength, that which he held so dear, he came to the end of the way. Calm, serene and unafraid, he met the issue as he had met the responsibilities and dear delights of life! He said to his mother who was his constant companion, "Mother, don’t grieve for me when I am gone. It will not be me you see in the casket. Its just my tired, worn out body. My soul will live on. Death is only just a part of life." And so, "He met his Pilot face to face."

The passing of Dale Klotz has left a great vacancy in the dear home circle, the circle of a host of friends, the fraternal circle, the business circle! Kind, genial, warm-hearted, the influence of that brave life will live on, and on, and "to live in hearts we leave behind, is not to die!" His memory will live as "precious ointment poured forth."

His precious body rests on the beautiful hillside in the land he loved so much, until the shadows flee away, and the day breaks, when we shall again clasp hands with him, beloved son, devoted brother, and loyal friend!

"What is this mystery that men call death! My friend before me lies in all save breath, He seems the same as yesterday, his face so like to life, so calm bears not a trace Of that great change which all of us so dread; I gaze on him and say: "He is not dead. But sleeps! And soon he will arise and take me By the hand. I know he will awake and smile on me as he did yesterday; And he will have some gentle word to say. Some kindly deed to do, for loving thought was warp and woof of which his life was wrought. He is not dead. Such souls forever live In boundless measure of the love they give.


Mrs. Catherine Burk, passed from this life at the home of her son, W.E. Burk, south of Marionville, January 11, 1922 at the age of 81 years and 17 days.

Mrs. Burk was a native of Tennessee, and was the daughter of Rev. David and Mary Adam. She was married September 18, 1857 to George Burk, who departed this life January 3, 1916. To this union were born 14 children, of whom eight survive. They are Mrs. O. Scott of Mt. Vernon, Texas, Mrs. H. N. Parsons of Crane, Mo., D.E. Burk of near Aurora, U.G. Burk of Crane, Mrs. R.G. McCullah of near Mt. Vernon, Mo., Mrs. F.P. Fly of Kansas City, Mo., C.A. Burk of Hominy, Okla., and W.E. Burk, with whom she made her home. Besides these she is survived by 51 grandchildren and 41 great grand-children.

Deceased was a member of the Christian Church and lived a consistent Christian life.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Martin T. Pope of Aurora.

(News Oracle 1922)


(From Joplin Globe, Jan 18, 1922)

A romance which started more than a year ago at Eureka Springs, Ark., culminated last night when Mrs. Edith C. Keet of Springfield and Mr. Frank Baker of Powhuska, Okla., were quietly married at the Connor hotel.

Mrs. Baker was prominent in Springfield and before her marriage attended Drury college, from which she was graduated. While in college she met Josiah Keet, prominent business man of Springfield, whom she later married. They afterwards became separated and then divorced.

Mr. And Mrs. Baker met at Eureka Springs while they were both summering at the resort. Mr. Baker is a student at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville. He arrived here several days ago and was joined by Mrs. Baker, who arrived last night from Springfield.

Baker is a very prominent and wealthy citizen of Pawhuska. Mr. And Mrs. Baker’s plans will probably take them to Fayetteville, where Mr. Baker will complete his course in the university.

Mrs. Baker formerly was Miss Edith Craig, of Galena, Mo.

(News Oracle 1922)


E.P. Gracey, one of Stone county’s most prominent citizens, died in the Manuel Hotel lobby in Springfield Monday evening. He had just arrived from St. Louis, and had registered, when he fell dead.

His body will be taken to Bond county, Ill., his old home, for burial.

Mr. Gracey represented Stone county in the legislature one term, and filled the office of county clerk one term, and will be greatly missed in business and social affairs of Stone county, and the News Oracle joins their many friends in extending to the bereaved family our heart felt sympathy.


George Keast, the twelve year old son of Mr. And Mrs. George Keast, died at one o’clock Wednesday afternoon, following a brief illness of diphtheria.

He first complained of feeling badly Sunday afternoon, but his condition was not considered as anything serious, no symptoms of an alarming nature appearing. He appeared worse Tuesday, and a physician was called for consultation. He rapidly grew worse until the end came Wednesday afternoon. The disease failed to respond to the anti-toxin treatment.

George was a bright and happy boy and his sudden and untimely death has spread a deep sadness over his young associates of the city. The many friends of the family mourn with them in their deep affliction, and sympathize with them in this their dark hour.

Funeral services were held at three o’clock this afternoon on the lawn at the family home. The services were conducted by Dr. L.E. Snyder and Dr. C. A. Gilbert.


James H. Pritchard died at his home at Oto Mo., Sunday, November 13, of pneumonia.

Mr. Pritchard was one of Stone county’s prominent citizens, and served as county treasurer about two years, having been appointed to serve out the unexpired term of W. I. Long who resigned.

Funeral services were conducted by Rev. Walter Geren, Tuesday, and he was buried in the Parsons cemetery.


S.B. Taylor, one of the old citizens of Galena, died at the home of his daughter, Mrs. W. H. Lancaster, at Lecompton, Kansas, Saturday and the body was brought to Galena Monday, and laid to rest beside his wife in the Galena cemetery. He was 77 years old, and died of cancer of the liver, having been in poor health for several years.

Mr. Taylor came to Galena about thirty years ago, was one of our most prominent citizens, and had many friends in Stone county who are grieved to hear of his death.

He leaves two daughters, Mrs. Mabel Lancaster, of Lecompton, Kan., and Mrs. Edna Fike, of Boulder, Colo.

Funeral services were conducted by Dr. A.L. McQuary at the Galena cemetery Monday afternoon.

The News-Oracle joins their many friends in Galena in extending to them our sympathy in the loss of their dear father.


C. L. Walters, who has been laying brick at Bolivar the past month, came home Monday.

Mrs. Edna Walters spent the first of the week with relatives in Aurora.

The Ladies Aid of the Christian church met with Mrs. H. Fox last Thursday afternoon where they were very royally entertained. Watermelon was served and all enjoyed the afternoon very much. The Aid will meet at the church Thursday afternoon.

Rev. Dewey Short will preach in the Methodist church on Thursday night, September 1. Everybody cordially invited to attend; and the new members are especially urged to be present, as this will be his last service before leaving for the East.

John A. McCullah died at Los Angeles, last Friday and was buried there Monday. He was 70 years old last December and was born in Stone county at what was known as Curran post office in the early day, and lived in Stone county most of his life and was recently in the Mercantile business in Reeds Spring. He had been in failing health for several years. He had many friends in Stone county who are sorry to hear of his death.