Search billions of records on

Page Three


The body of Almar Fisk who died at Telluride, Colorado, Sunday April 5 of pneumonia arrived in Galena about noon last Friday, accompanied by his brother Theodore, who was also at Telluride. Deceased was sick only9 days. He was 26 years old, and for the last 18 months has been a timekeeper and in charge of the commissary store of the Liberty Bell Gold Mining Co., which position he filled with entire satisfaction. Tuesday morning religious services were held at Telluride, conducted by Rev. Ashby of the M.E. church, which was attended by a large crowed of his friends, who held him in high esteem for his many genial manly qualities. Saturday afternoon a large number of our citizens assembled at the Fisk residence where a beautiful hymn was rendered, after which the remains were followed to the cemetery by a large number of sorrowing relatives and friends. A short service was conducted by O. Scott, after which all that was mortal of Almer Fisk was consigned to mother earth. His parents and all his brothers and sisters excepting Mrs. Ernest Shepherd, who lives in Indiana, were present at the funeral.

The following acted as pall bearers: G.L. Hunt, Geo. Armstrong, C.L. Henson, Raymond Smith, Louis Moore and Harold Melton.


Who entered into heavenly rest March 20th, 1923, aged 77 years, nine months and one day.

She has joined the choir invisible, The voice we loved to hear; Sings now with fair celestials, With friends, to her, most dear.

The old, old question that every bereaved heart has asked since the shadow of death darkened the threshold of the first home, comes to bereaved hearts to-day, and as the casket covers the beloved features, and the grave closes over the precious form of the dear one, the breaking heart cries out in anguish: "If a man die, shall he live again?"

Science cannot unravel this mystery of silence, philosophy can find no clue; nature is dumb in the presence of this awful tragedy; but Jesus, radiant with hope and consolation, whispers to the sorrowing heart, "I am the resurrection, and the life, he that liveth and believeth in me shall never die!" Job said, "all the days of my appointed time will I wait until my change comes." And the Psalmist said, "I shall be satisfied when I awake in His likeness."

One who watched at the bedside of our sister and friend, as she was quietly passing away, said to her, "You are going to sleep soon, and you may awaken here, or maybe in the better world; does it make any difference to you?" and she answered, "not a bit of difference." And so she slept her life away sweetly, and peacefully, without fear or dread of the "King of Terrors," for beneath her, and about her, were the ever lasting arms of her loving Heavenly Father, and so, it matters not whether we sleep or wake, "we are in His keeping." How beautiful, how precious, how comforting the blessed truth! "He that believeth in me shall never see death!" The shadow falls, but death is swallowed up in victory!"

Delia M. Yocum was born in the little town of Mascoutah, Illinois, June 21, 1845. She was the oldest daughter of Moses Fike and Sarah Howell. She came of splendid parentage--the Fikes and the Howells. The men were brave, courageous and honorable, standing for righteousness always. The women were beautiful, intellectual and worthy.

Mrs. Yocum became a Christian in early life, uniting with the Baptist church at the age of 14. The Fikes were Methodists and the Howells were Baptists. In 1892 she changed her membership to that of the M.E. church joining with her husband, J.T. Kennedy, who while health hunting in Arizona, was gloriously saved and on his sick bed became a member of the church he loved. His body rests in distant Arizona, far from home and kindred, but he could sing with sweet assurance that blessed old hymn:

"There is a spot to me more dear Than native vale or mountain, A spot for which affection's tear Springs grateful from its fountain.

"Tis not where kindred souls abound, Though that is almost heaven, But where I first my Savior found, And felt my sins forgiven!"

Mrs. Yocum was a woman of many gifts and of a noble and generous nature, gladly sharing the last crust with one more needy than herself. She was a graduate of Greenville Female Seminary, Greenville, Ill., and for a time attended McKendree College, at Lebanon, Ill. She was a woman of fine intellect, and literary attainments; while others slept she burned the midnight oil poring over her precious books, and storing her memory with the riches of literature. But music was the passion of her life. We who have listened to that melody-filled voice, so sweet, so clear, so pure in its velvety softness, can never forget. The often said, "when I get to heaven I am going to take up music. I intend to get it all." Her ear was so exquisitely attuned to the melody of sweet sounds that she could detect the faintest discord. Often, during the long lonely nights of the winter just passed, when sleep would depart from her weary eyes, she would spend the wakeful hours in singing over and over the old hymns and ballads she had sang in other years, and at her organ she spent many happy hours playing and singing the grand old hymns she loved so much. One peculiarly sad feature of her passing was the absence of her children to whom she was passionately attached. The beloved daughter lying dangerously ill in a nearby hospital, and the devoted son far away on the Pacific Coast; thus deprived of the last tender ministrations of her best beloved! But she was blest with the care and sympathy of loving devoted friends and though, the summons came as a thief in the night, she was ready. She had remarked just a few weeks ago at the grave of a friend, the last funeral that she attended in Galena, "I am ready when the summons comes." What more shall we say? Our hearts are sorely stricken. We rejoice for her blessed exchange—yet we cannot but weep because we shall see her face no more. She filled a large place in the heart of this little community in which she lived so long, and her departure is sincerely mourned.

Her funeral was held in the M.E. church, the "White Cross Chapel", to which she was so devoted, and was attended by a host of sympathizing neighbors and friends. The service was conducted by Dr. McCormick, pastor of Grace M.E. church Springfield, Mo., and assisted by Dr. McQuary, an old friend and neighbor. Dr. McCormick was with her as she sweetly fell asleep, and had the assurance that "Jesus can make a dying bed feel soft as downy pillows are, while on His breast I lean my head, and breathe my life out sweetly there!"

The service was very impressive, beautiful, tender and comforting. The music by her special friends, and the flowers, all were testimonials of the high regard in which she was held. Her body was laid to rest in the Galena cemetery beside the body of her former husband B.F. Yocum, and of her beloved daughter, Maudeva Kennedy, who preceded her many years to the Better Land. Two are left to cherish her memory, E. Leslie Kennedy of Los Angeles, Calif., who came across the continent to attend her bedside, and Mae Kennedy-McCord of Springfield, Mo.

Dear children, look up through your tears and thank God for the wonderful mother she was to you, for you shall see her again, clothed in immortality, glorified, for she has looked upon the "King in His beauty," and so we leave her, "asleep in Jesus, blessed sleep, from which none ever wake to weep; a calm and undisturbed repose, unbroken by the last of foes!"


Dempsey C. Jennings was born in Colwell county, Kentucky, December 12, 1839, and died at his home here Friday morning, July 3d of cancer of the stomach and a complication of diseases, being at the time of his death 63 years, 5 months and 21 days of age. Remains were laid to rest in the Ponce de Leon cemetery July 4, 1903. Rev. Lokey of the M.E. Church, conducted the funeral services.

Deceased immigrated to Lawrence county, this state, with his parents in the early forties. He was also a resident of this county for several years, but his late home is in Douglas county.

He was married near Chesapeake, Lawrence county, in the year 1863, to Miss Martha Curtis, of which union were born ten children, seven of whom survive him, two sons and five daughters.

He was at one time a member of the M.E. church, and lived a devoted Christian for over thirty years. He was a kind neighbor, a stanch citizen, and respected by all who knew him.

A great number of people join in sympathy with his bereaved wife and children, who are left to mourn the loss of a devoted husband and father.


This community was shocked about 9 o'clock Sunday morning last by the announcement that Billy Parsons, as he was familiarly called, had died suddenly at his home in the west part of town. Mr. Parsons was one of the men who was injured in the blast on the right-of-way March 30, when Frank Covill was killed. His spine was injured so as to produce a paralyzed condition of his lower limbs, from which he never recovered. He was compelled to lie on his back all the time, it being dangerous to move him. Just before his death he talked cheerfully with friends, and appeared to be resting easily, but it was necessary to change some bed clothing under him, and in so doing the slender thread upon which his life seemed to hang gave way, and he died almost instantly.

Mr. Parsons was about 42 years old, and had lived in Stone county nearly all his life. He was a man of pleasing disposition, honest and upright, and enjoyed the confidence and friendship of all who knew him. His wife is a daughter of Paul Estes, an old and respected citizen of Union City. He leaves a wife and several children, who will sadly miss his kind companionship and fatherly care and council. He was buried Monday in the Parsons cemetery, near Oto. His funeral will be preached at Oto next Sunday by Rev. I.V. Parker of the M.E. Church.


Mrs. Ida M. Seaman, wife of Charles Seaman, died at her home in Sapulpa, I.T., Sept. 26, 1901 aged 26 years. Funeral services were held at the Christian church in Galena, Saturday, Sept. 28, conducted in an impressive manner by Elder O.W. Jones. The church was handsomely decorated with evergreens and flowers and emblems of mourning, and the large audience in attendance attested to the high esteem in which the deceased was held by the people among whom she was raised.

The cause of death was blood poisoning, produced by what was supposed to be a bite or sting on the thumb. The remains were escorted from Sapulpa to Galena by her husband and three children, Mrs. J. Frank Seaman, and John Melton, brother of the deceased. Those who attended the funeral from a distance were Mr. and Mrs. D.D. Seaman; Mrs. John A. McCullah, Mrs. I.D. McCullah and Mrs. Tony Morris, all of Marionville. Mrs. Ida M. Seaman was a daughter of Major James A. Melton who served in the 2d Arkansas Cavalry, and was one of the best citizens of Stone county, having served as presiding judge and clerk of the circuit and county courts of Stone county. She was raised on a farm near Cape Fair, and was a pure noble, Christian woman, an affectionate wife and mother, and loved by all who knew her. She left a husband and three small children, two brothers, John Melton of Cape Fair and James Melton who lives in Idaho, and a half sister, Mrs. Florence Thomas, of Willard, Mo. all of whom were at the funeral excepting James.

The youngest of the three children, a babe two months old, died last Monday night at the residence of J. Frank Seaman in Galena, and was buried Tuesday by the side of its mother. Though separated from loved ones on earth, she was in a few short days permitted to embrace her sweet babe in heaven.

The interment was a Galena cemetery under the auspices of Galena Chapter, No. 7, Order Eastern Star, to which she was a devoted member.

In their hour of bereavement the husband, children and other relatives have the sincere sympathy of all our citizens.


Our community was shocked Monday by the announcement that John L. Wright of Union City had died on Sunday. The cause of his death was pneumonia, and he was sick only a few days. He was 32 years old, and had been married five weeks the day he died. His young and bereaved wife was Miss Eliza J. Ellis, daughter of the widow Ellis, who lives near Scholten.

John L. Wright was a noble young man, loved and respected by all who knew him. He was a school teacher, and was also associated with his brother Boone in the mercantile business at Union City. He was a candidate before the Republican primary last spring for the nomination for circuit clerk and recorder, and received a large vote. The untimely death of such a man as John L. Wright is an absolute loss to the community in which he lived, and to the county. His bereaved wife and other relatives have the sympathy of the entire community.


News reached here last Saturday noon that Merida S. Powell, son of Capt. T.S. Powell of Notch, had been drowned in White river. His brother, D.H. Powell and wife, of this place, left immediately for Notch. The circumstances of this terrible accident seems to be about as follows: Some time during the forenoon of Wednesday, April 8, Merida started from his father's place with a wagon and team to go to James Wilson's on James river, about 15 miles distant, to get a load of hay. In some way he seems to have missed the route he should have gone, and struck a ford on White river, near the mouth of James, just below the Alex Biles farm. This ford is, by those who are acquainted it, considered a dangerous place for any one to cross not familiar with the river. Here Merida drove in, and only went a short distance when the team and wagon were engulfed in swift water from 12 to 16 feet deep. It is supposed the accident happened about 5 o'clock in the afternoon of Wednesday. No one witnessed it, consequently the facts in the case are largely a matter of conjecture. Friday morning the team was found by Carney Stewart, with their harness on, and in an exhausted condition. He took it home and cared for it, and began making inquiry as to the owner, all the while being impressed that the driver had been drowned. It was soon learned that the team belonged to Captain T.S. Powell, and he was immediately notified, and went with his sons to the fatal place. The citizens for several miles around were notified, and soon a large number had assembled to institute search for the missing driver. As the wind was blowing at a rapid rate Friday night, but little could be accomplished. Saturday morning a blacksmith named Bruton, made a number of grab hooks and eight boats were secured, a barbed wire stretched across the river to hold the boats, and a thorough search of the water begun. About 3 p.m. Will Thomas found the body of Merida Powell, and it was soon raised and taken to shore. The fact that the horses were unhitched from the wagon, which was found in the river, and that there were several bad bruises about the head and body of the drowned young man indicates clearly that he was evidently stunned, and probably was killed while attempting to save the team. Nothing was lost but the coat an hat of the unfortunate young man and the pin that held the double trees to the wagon.

Before the corpse could be removed to Notch it was necessary to go to Galena and secure a coffin and the burial clothes. The funeral took place at the Evergreen cemetery near Notch at a late hour Sunday evening; and although a severe rain and hail storm prevailed about that time, a very large number of the citizens attended, thus attesting in an unmistakable manner the high esteem in which they held the deceased. The religious services were conducted by J.K. Ross, in an impressive manner. The prompt manner in which the citizens generally responded to the cry of distress, and the willing way in which they sacrificed every personal comfort, convenience and interest, that they might assist and comfort the stricken relatives, confirmed the fact that no better people live on earth than those on White river in the south part of Stone county. Capt. Powell and his family appreciate the kind and noble spirit of this people, and will always hold them in grateful remembrance. Merida Powell was born in 1880, at Lamar, Mo., but came with his parents to Stone county while a small boy, and by his honest, industrious, upright life, was endeared to all who knew him.

Having recently passed under the rod of affliction, in the loss of a beloved son, the editor of the ORACLE can sincerely sympathize with comrade Powell in this sad affliction.


Miss Opal Keeny, aged 17, died at the family residence in Galena, Thursday, Nov. 13, of diabetes.

Opal was the youngest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John H. Keeny. She was a beautiful, loving, Christian girl, and her untimely death has cast a gloom over our entire community. Her charming disposition and exemplary life endeared her to every one. How sad it is for one just blooming into womanhood to be removed by death, and yet what a consolation to know that she is only transplanted and will live and grow throughout eternity in a happier, better world.

The funeral was held Friday afternoon at the M.E. church, of which she was a devoted member, conducted by Prof. M.L. Burris. The attendance was very large, and the church was decorated with beautiful flowers, the work of her many young and sorrowing friends. The remains were followed to the Galena cemetery by a large number of our citizens, old and young.


To all of our friends who were so kind in helping us bear our deep sorrow in the loss of our loved one, we extend our heartfelt thanks. And their floral offerings will ever be remembered by each of us.



Thomas Davis,Sr., died at the residence of his son-in-law, H.P. Jenkins, three miles northeast of Galena, at 11:30 P.M., Jan. 12, 1903 of dropsy.

Uncle Tom, as he was familiarly called by everybody, lived the greater part of his long life in Christian and Stone counties. His exact age is not known, but Uncle Frank Gideon, who probably knew Uncle Tom longer and better than any person now living here, thinks he was about 86 years old.

Early in life he was married to Miss Margaret J. Dorrell, with who he lived until her death in May 1881. They raised a family of twelve children, eight of whom are still living.

Mr. Davis homesteaded the Craig farm near Galena, on which he raised a large family. He was a good, peaceable and honored citizen. He was a Union soldier during the civil war, and was a pensioner at the time of his death. He was buried beside his wife and son in the Gentry cemetery Tuesday afternoon.


John S. (Uncle Jack) May is Laid to Rest After Long and Useful Life—Is Buried Sunday

Stone county lost a much respected and useful citizen last Saturday morning at 7:30 when John S. May, commonly known as Uncle Jack, passed away peacefully at the home of his son, Charley May, with whom he made his home most of the time since he lost his eyesight nine years ago.

Uncle Jack's father, John D. May and his grandfather came to Missouri from Tennessee in the early part of the nineteenth century and first settled near what is now Springfield. They were hunters and trappers and finding the territory around Springfield ill adapted to their use, migrated to the White River country where game of all kinds was plentiful.

Mr. May's father settled on a piece of land at the mouth of Roark creek where the town of Branson is now located. He erected a log house just across the street from the Pierce Stigman Lumber company office of today, and it is in that log house that Uncle Jack May was born in 1842.

At that time during the hunting season the woods were full of game and Delaware Indians. Deer was plentiful, wild turkeys were in abundance, fur bearing animals were plentiful and squirrels were everywhere. In the summer the Indians would migrate to Oklahoma and other western points, but in the winter they would come back to the White river country, camp on Dewey Bald, and called the territory their "happy hunting grounds."

Mr. May's grandfather settled just below Garber on Roark creek and for many years after his death the place was known as Apple Orchard. Before his death he had set out a large apple orchard and from this the place got its name.

Uncle Jack lived with his parents at the mouth of Roark until he was ten years old and the family then moved up White river to the mouth of Long creek. It was while living here that the Civil War broke out so Mr. May's father enlisted in 1861 in the 26th Missouri Infantry. General John C. Freemont had come to Springfield and the elder May enlisted and went back to Jefferson City with him. He later died with measles in St. Louis. The family did not learn of his death for more than a year after he died because news traveled slowly in those days

All the neighbors of the May family on White river either joined the rebel forces or were rebel sympathizers, and conditions became so unpleasant for them that they moved to Marshfield. Many southern sympathizers organized bands known as Bushwhackers who invaded the territory to the north and harassed detachments of Union troops or preyed upon the homes and property of citizens, often killing whole families and helping themselves to anything they could find. Such a band was organized one day at the mouth of Roark creek and Uncle Jack and his father were the only two present who did not join. From that time on life in the neighborhood was unpleasant for them.

Soon after moving to Marshfield Uncle Jack enlisted in Company D, 16th Missouri Volunteer Cavalry. He was mustered in at Marshfield in 1862 and served until June 30, 1865, when he was mustered out at Springfield. He saw service in the battle of Big Blue near Kansas City where the union forces fought the Confederates under General Sterling Price. The Confederates were routed in this battle and driven into Ark. with Union troops in hot pursuit. Uncle Jack also had numerous skirmishes with the Bushwhackers and after peace was signed these marauders continued to harass the Union settlements taking lives and destroying property.

After the war his mother and sisters and brothers moved back into Taney county, this time settling on the head of Bear Creek. Peace had been declared but Uncle Jack had not been discharged. He had two brothers much younger than himself and the family decided to rent a farm and make a small crop. The boys obtained a yoke of gentle oxen and were making a crop when a band of Bushwhackers swept down upon them and stole all the groceries which were in the house, bed quilts and anything they could carry. Having been previously warned about the Bushwhackers by Uncle Jack the family had boxed most of the groceries and some other articles and hid them in the forest which proved to be an excellent precautionary measure.

In 1873 Uncle Jack was married to Isabel Stockstill who also lived on Bear Creek in Taney county. In 1875 the couple came to Stone County and stopped on Railey creek to visit with his wife's relatives. They had planned to go to Colorado that spring, but James river was at flood stage and they could not cross for several weeks. Crop time came on and Uncle Jack and his wife decided to make a crop that year. They rented part of the farm now owned by W.D. Mathes and which at that time was owned by Ad and Frank Carr. They made two crops on that farm and by that time they had given up on the idea of going to Colorado and settled across the river from Limberlost Inn. The farm was all in timber when they bought it. Uncle Jack, being a young married man and full of enthusiasm, set to work clearing the land. The fine bottom land was then grown up in massive oaks, elms, sycamores, grape vines and what not. Years were required to clear the land but at last the task was completed and he had one of the best farms in the county. He lived on this farm until his wife died in 1924 and since that time he has been with his sons in Galena, most of the time with Charley. It was on the farm that all his children were born, Fred and Charley, both of Galena and Mrs. Jim Jennings and Mrs. Emory Boyd, both of whom are deceased, and there was another boy, Buddy, who died in infancy. He is also survived by one brother George, who lives near Ponce de Leon, and two sisters Mrs. John Keithley of Taney county and Mrs. Eng Stockstill who lives in Oregon, five grandchildren and two great grandchildren and a host of friends.

Uncle Jack was active in positions and civic matters of the county throughout his life. He served two terms as sheriff and collector, when the offices were together and two terms as public administrator. He was never known to say a harmful word of anyone but was firm and courageous in his convictions.

Stone county will miss Uncle Jack May--his sense of humor, his kindly disposition, his charity. He was a pioneer of the old stock and spent his life in an effort to make living conditions more pleasant for oncoming generations.

Funeral services were conducted at the Community Church in Galena Sunday afternoon with Dr. Dewey Short, whom Uncle Jack had known from infancy, officiating. Burial was in Galena cemetery in charge of the Masonic lodge and under direction of the Galena Funeral Home.


A.R. Myers Instantly Killed When Car Hits Tree--Miss Pirkle Injured

Arlie R. Myers, 21 years old, was instantly killed yesterday afternoon about 2:40 o'clock when an automobile which he was driving crashed into a tree about one and one-half miles southwest of Crane. Miss Ruth Pirkle, also of this city, was serious injured and is now undergoing treatment at a hospital at Aurora. She had not regained consciousness at a late hour this afternoon. The other two members of the party are Irene Pirkle, sister of the injured woman, and Miss Opal Robertson.

Mr. Myers, accompanied by Miss Ruth Pirkle drove from here to Crane yesterday morning. After arriving there they joined the two other girls and left for an automobile ride in Dr. D.M. Huffman's machine. The automobile party had traveled but a short distance when the accident occurred. It is believed that the accident was caused by a broken steering rod. The car swerved to the left and crashed into a tree, killing Myers instantly. His skull was fractured and several bones broken.

Miss Ruth Pirkle received a broken arm and fractured skull. She was taken to a nearby farm house and a physician summoned. Her condition grew worse and she was removed in an ambulance to a hospital at Aurora. Her condition is critical and little hope is entertained for her recovery. The other two occupants in the car were riding in the rear seat and escaped with minor injuries.

Mr. Myers had been making his home for several months with Dr. Huffman, 2147 North Missouri Avenue. His sister, Ruth Huffman is an adopted daughter of Dr. Huffman. Mr. Myers had spent six years in the United States army prior to coming here. He was with the American expeditionary forces during the world war and was also in the army of occupation after the armistice was signed.

Since coming to Springfield, Mr. Myers has been active in social and church work. He was a member of the Woodland Heights Presbyterian church of which Rev. M.F. Cowden is pastor.

Scouts Meet Train

The body arrived here at noon today of the Missouri Pacific lines accompanied by Dr. and Mrs. Huffman. The body was met by Boy Scout troop No 17, of which Mr. Myers was scout master. Allen C. Foster, scout executive, had charge of the scouts at the station. Two lines were formed by the scouts and the body was carried between them from the train to the hearse.

Mr. Myers had been a student at Draughon's Business college and had almost completed his course of study. Funeral arrangements have not been completed, but burial will be held under the direction of the J.W. Klingner Undertaking company.

Mr. Myers is survived by a father, two sisters, Miss Ruth Huffman and Mrs. Clarence Connor of Kansas. Mrs. Connor will come here to attend the services.