St Charles Blockhouse
In 1792, in the village of San Carlos, Indians stole 38 horses. The villages, in order to protect themselves from further raids, built a blockhouse in the center of the town to house all the horse. The building was 24 feet by 32 feet and the walls were 18 inches thick and built of stone. Each wall also contained two gun ports.
Since the Indians returned 37 horses and paid for the remaining horse, it is believed that it was never used for its intended purpose.
The blockhouse remained hidden from view and no one knew of it's existence for many years. However, in 2004, when developers were clearing some farmland, they discovered this blockhouse as a room inside of a barn. The Lindenwood University was contacted and the blockhouse was moved to the Daniel Boone Home and Boonesfield Village near Defiance, Missouri.