Marion City was a bustling riverport on the Mississippi River when a flood destroyed the town in 1848. At that time, many moved nearby to Palmyra, but some rebuilt Marion City.
A second flood several years later destroyed what was left of the town and it was permanently deserted. There is a highway marker identifying its location.
© 2010 Jeanne Hicks Warning: The unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this copyrighted work is illegal. Criminal copyright infringement, including infringement without monetary gain, is investigated by the FBI and is punishable by up to 5 years in federal prison and a fine of $250,000.